Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you enjoy UK Winters?  (Read 15633 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Do you enjoy UK Winters?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
My company expects us in.  It's awful.  I want to get a bad weather policy in place.  When there are Amber/Red weather warnings and only essential travel, they should not be requiring us to be in the office.  And unfortunately, we only have rear wheel drive vehicles which doesn't help.

Oh well, hopefully we'll have another 7 years of no snow.  Though the rumor is that a warm summer will produce a cold winter.  Though, how can they know that?  ;D

Thankfully VF have a policy that everybody should be able to access anything they need to do their daily job from home in the event of an emergency or exceptionally bad weather......but they still like - if you drive - that you come in when the weather is bad. However, my line manager drives an automatic as well and said to me last year when it was crap "oh you have an automatic which won't give you much control when driving in the snow! Don't risk it!" so I didn't even have to address the "can I just not come in?" issue. We also left early a few times when the snow started but that's, again, because I have a great line manager who appreciates that we might be good at driving but others aren't. I don't understand how your office can make you come in when there is a weather alert!! They need to put something in place for that!

heh I know somebody on this forum who probably coooouuulllddddd tell us all about weather and what we might be looking at this year :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »
heh I know somebody on this forum who probably coooouuulllddddd tell us all about weather and what we might be looking at this year :)

She gazes down like a Greek God. "Shall I lift my hand to crush these creatures?"

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »
I have the remedy for cold winter feet! Muck Boots and Heat Holders!  :)

Muck Boots, they are neoprene lined which means they are much warmer than regular wellies. I use them for gardening but many comments I've read on Amazon are from dog walkers. Watch which kind you get though because some of them are pretty heavy. Here is the link to their website so that you can see the full range but shop around, they will be cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.muckbootcompany.co.uk

Heat Holders Socks! Get the Originals, they are so fluffy and lovely. https://heatholders.co.uk

And maybe think about getting some reusable hand warmers to pop in your pockets.

I don't suppose you are anywhere near a beach are you? That would help the muddy dog problem!    :)
I wish we lived near the beach, we all love it and that's the dream. We're securely landlocked in Derbyshire though.

I just got the dogs new coats, which doesn't help with the mud. Haha. Their underbellies get spattered and I have to take the extra time to wipe them down unless there's snow. I let them off in secure places as they go a bit mental with just lead walked.

I'll have to look into those when I'm looking for my next pair. Hubby bought me new ones last Christmas and they were cute but already thrashed now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 01:06:49 PM »
You definitely are a trooper. When does winter weather begin in your area?
I would say now. It's dark when I get up, there's already standing water and mud, and we've already had 3 hard frosts last week. The one park isn't waterlogged yet, which is nice, but it will soon be.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
I agree with x0Kiss0fDeath - some people aren't winter people. I'm totally a summer people.  8)

I find wellies incredibly uncomfortable underfoot, so haven't ever bought any. Husband is the same & so say other friends who do a lot of walking. We just wear waterproof walking boots 'cause we like walking & comfort is key for us.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »

I remember being told constantly that the entire country shuts down when it snows, etc., and public transport/taxis do just come to a total halt, but I've found that where we are down south, when it snows, there is still somewhat of an expectation to come into work. Thankfully, however, people still don't like driving in it so I've always been able to just blag it and work from home on those rare occasions. They don't expect people taking public transport to come in, but they do seem to feel that those of us driving should. I don't mind driving in the dusting we get, but I don't trust any of the other people on the road!

I have literally experienced the shut dow before I had my license. It sucks. I got off the train at Birmingham New Street to be told no trains would continue to Birmingham International/Coventry. Luckily one was heading back my direction and I was able to get a taxi home after a wait.

It's mental.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »

I have literally experienced the shut dow before I had my license. It sucks. I got off the train at Birmingham New Street to be told no trains would continue to Birmingham International/Coventry. Luckily one was heading back my direction and I was able to get a taxi home after a wait.

It's mental.

There is literally nothing worse than being chucked off a train and told there is no service on the line for the foreseeable future.  It's happened to me twice.  I would be very happy if it never happened again.  ;D

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
I agree with x0Kiss0fDeath - some people aren't winter people. I'm totally a summer people.  8)

I'm a Summer and Fall people with the potential to enjoy a winter activity here and there :) I am definitely not a massive fan boy of winter.

It's mental.

That is insane! I would be fuming! The problem is that the winter shut-down, from my experience, will be the modes of transport shut down but not the businesses themselves and that is super frustrating.

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »
Hmmm. Winter here.

Do I enjoy it? Yep. Absolutely love it. Do I go outside often in it? Nope!  ;D  Energy-efficient cozy flat with lots of windows. I like seeing the show go by. If it's snowing I will bundle up and walk to the Botanic Gardens and it's like being in a snowglobe.  I don't much care for that part of winter where everything gets slushy and dirty in the daytime and then freezes back  at night. Makes it difficult to walk to the shops and stuff.

Summer - I love the summer here unless it gets much over 75F. When I stop loving it as much. It only did that a couple of days, thankfully, last year.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »

Yeah, we do, don't we?

• Liked: 3
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 08:32:00 PM »
From New England where you have to shovel yourself out and get into work anyways so I appreciate that we rarely get snow in winter where I am in the UK, and when it does happen, it's almost always just a light dusting.

That being said, I MUCH prefer the warm. For me, it's less about the cold itself, but the cold accompanied by darkness when I leave the office at 5:15PM and dampness. I wouldn't mind it if I worked from home all the time and could choose when I wanted to go out into it, but I have a dog so can't just decide I don't want to walk her on a given morning/evening when it's exceptionally cold. The daily pains, IMO, aren't exactly miles away from what I dealt with in the US (E.G. defrosting the car/scraping the car off in the morning) minus the snow problem....but other parts of the UK will have to deal with snow far more than I would.

Can I tolerate the winters here? Sure. Do I actively enjoy them?: Nope. I almost definitely have SAD, so the brighter it is, the happier and more positive I will be and the warmer it is, the more I want to leave my house (which, again, has an impact on my mental health). I don't think it's necessarily down to location, however. I think some people are winter people and some people just aren't. Even back in the US, I absolutely hated when it would snow because it meant I had to go out into the freezing weather and shovel for what felt like ages. Some people love the cold and don't mind that but I would dread it. The less amount of time I needed to give in the morning before going to work, the better. While I enjoy some aspects of winter, I am just not a winter person regardless of where I'm located. (Sorry for the ramble, I've not finished my coffee yet so my brain isn't awake).

I think your experience with winter climates is very relatable. Any weather condition that requires additional preparation and is time consuming while feeling physically uncomfortable is bound to be more challenging. I have lived in the Northeast region in the States and had to navigate through a few crazy winters but they were never that bothersome. At least that's how it felt at the time. But you just get on with it. The Northeast is known for northeasterners and when one of those buggers comes through deep in the heart of winter you pretty much have a white-out condition. Three feet snow falls happened several times while living up there but even that didn't feel so bad. Anything over 2 1/2 feet would pretty much shut down the schools and several businesses for at least one day maybe two but then everything would come back online after that because they were brilliant at snow removal. After a while you'd get use to those conditions. Your blood would thicken up a bit and the cold didn't feel bad. A nice parka with a hoodie and you were off and running.

But my one year in Seattle with the high temp of 30-40 degrees and the damp windy winter weather, I felt exposed! The skies were grey even in July. That was truly shocking. And by November my fight or flight senses had me looking up driving routes back to the east coast. I told myself that this was a momentary thing and I needed to stay put, after-all I had tougher experiences living in NYC. New York is suppose to make you tough, you know the song. You can make it there you can make...……. Ok, that ain't true. Because when January hit I was 100% sure the Pacific northwest wasn't the best place to live in winter. Beautiful looking place and maybe one of the most scenic places on earth but those winters are too intense. As a side note, when I did move back to the east coast in march, I couldn't drive back the same route because it had frozen over. Montana, Wyoming ect were no go areas in the dead of winter. Instead I drove down to Los Angeles and crossed over. In hindsight very glad I had the experience I can check it off my list of things to try.

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 08:43:43 PM »
I think your experience with winter climates is very relatable. Any weather condition that requires additional preparation and is time consuming while feeling physically uncomfortable is bound to be more challenging. I have lived in the Northeast region in the States and had to navigate through a few crazy winters but they were never that bothersome. At least that's how it felt at the time. But you just get on with it. The Northeast is known for northeasterners and when one of those buggers comes through deep in the heart of winter you pretty much have a white-out condition. Three feet snow falls happened several times while living up there but even that didn't feel so bad. Anything over 2 1/2 feet would pretty much shut down the schools and several businesses for at least one day maybe two but then everything would come back online after that because they were brilliant at snow removal. After a while you'd get use to those conditions. Your blood would thicken up a bit and the cold didn't feel bad. A nice parka with a hoodie and you were off and running.

I think it always felt cold and uncomfortable if outside to me (like when shovelling), but yeah, New Englanders just kind of get on with it. It's sort of how I deal with being here. I wouldn't say that I was ever off and running with a warm coat and hat by any means, but you don't really have a choice but to just get on with it. You just kind of have to take the good with the bad. I don't particularly enjoy the winter or look forward to it here by any means, but I just kind of accept that it happens and move on with it to be honest.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 154
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
I don’t mind winters but I miss having more snow if I’m honest

• Liked: 3
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 12:13:09 AM »
I wish we lived near the beach, we all love it and that's the dream. We're securely landlocked in Derbyshire though.

I just got the dogs new coats, which doesn't help with the mud. Haha. Their underbellies get spattered and I have to take the extra time to wipe them down unless there's snow. I let them off in secure places as they go a bit mental with just lead walked.

I'll have to look into those when I'm looking for my next pair. Hubby bought me new ones last Christmas and they were cute but already thrashed now.

Those very challenging winters in the UK actually could provide a good potential business venture for someone that love pets. Pet owners could probably benefit having a place where their little love ones can go to run and play and give their owners a time out. Bathroom breaks mixed with play time could be a good selling package deal. I wonder it there are businesses set up that come by and pick up pets to give them a fun spa day? I'd pay good money for that especially in those winter months. Have a nice dry indoor environment to play, and the pet comes home happy and smelling better than ever.

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
Those very challenging winters in the UK actually could provide a good potential business venture for someone that love pets. Pet owners could probably benefit having a place where their little love ones can go to run and play and give their owners a time out. Bathroom breaks mixed with play time could be a good selling package deal. I wonder it there are businesses set up that come by and pick up pets to give them a fun spa day? I'd pay good money for that especially in those winter months. Have a nice dry indoor environment to play, and the pet comes home happy and smelling better than ever.
You mean doggy daycare or a dogwalker? They exist here, dogwalker are everywhere and I know of quite a few people who do dogwalking. There are fewer places to take your dog for the day though.

This doesn't help me for our morning dogwalk as it's a walk to "empty the dogs" as they only use the back garden as a last resort. I'm sure there would be an accident shortly after we leave for work if they had to wait though. Actually, I know there would from experience of leaving them for 20 minutes.

Sponsored Links