Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding a Job in the UK  (Read 2720 times)

• Liked: 69
Finding a Job in the UK
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »
Its hard to believe that I've been in the UK now for 4 weeks!!

After enjoying the first few weeks enjoying time with the hubs and just getting back to the swing of things here. I'm now ready to work.

I am trying to find a marketing job near where I live. I put my career on hold for two years to me here with my now husband. I really hope that wont make a difference when people are looking at my CV. I do explain my situation on a cover letter as to why I havent had a job for a while.

I have worked with temp agencies before in the states. I couldnt believe the amount of agencies I talked to here- they told me to send my CV and would never get back to me.

Does anyone have any tips for finding a job here? Any interviewing advice? or just any experiences you had trying to find a job when you first got here? Did it take you a while to find a job?

Thanks!! xx
Met: In Alnwick, England (Study abroad) Sept 10, 2009
Reconnected: March 25, 2015 on Facebook
Started Dating: April 21, 2016
Engaged: December 24, 2017
Married: July 15, 2018 in USA
Online app submitted: August 9, 2018
Biometrics & Docs sent (priority): August 10, 2018
Package arrived in Sheffield: August 13, 2018
Email from Sheffield: August 15, 2018
Emailed to escalate: September 28, 2018
Decision made email: October 2, 2018 (34BD)
APPROVED!!! October 4, 2018

• Liked: 957
Re: Finding a Job in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
Apply for everything and be open to any work you're physically able to do. Until you have "UK experience" on your resume employers will be less likely to contact you. :( Also check meetup.com for relevant groups and networking. Good luck!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
I haven't been on this board in a while and just thought I would have a peek in and saw your post...I had a very hard time getting work here so much so I took a job at Starbucks because of hey there was a discount and I love coffee.  Follow up with agencies. I went through NRG (temp agency) I now work for the Uni on a permanent basis and they are paying for my Master's degree.  It took me a few years to get a perm position but once employed by the agency and working here, I was able to apply for all internal jobs.  It does help to have UK experience no matter what I did before, to be in the culture helped.

Good Luck!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
It's a numbers game so please try not to get discouraged. Some may not even get back to you to tell you they've rejected the CV. It  can be very frustrating but just be persistent as it's more likely that it's not *you* that is the problem but there will be a lot of other applicants who have UK work experience. They may also see that you're from the US and they may instinctively think "immigrant..this is a more difficult hiring process...nope" having no idea that you don't actually need to be sponsored, etc. I know marketing seems to have lots of applicants to it so it definitely won't be anything you're doing wrong even if it feels like that's the case at times.

Just apply apply apply is the best advice I can give. If you know anybody or your husband knows anybody who has an in at their office, that can also be a massive help as it helps get your CV looked at. Knowing somebody is one of the best ways to get a food in the door. If you don't know anybody that could even put you in as a referral in their HR portal, definitely try to find networking events if you can nearby to you if possible. Even if you *do* have a person that can help in your circle, I would still recommend networking events if you have the time as it will also get you out and being social, which can help you feel less isolated in a new place. If there is a qualification here for the jobs you're applying for that you may not have, perhaps look to do an online course for it in your spare time as that can show you're committed and employers will like that. Even if there are just small certifications you can do for free online or skills you can train yourself and practise while you look for jobs, that can be put on your CV and can help as well.

Best of luck to you :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 250
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
I haven't gotten any interviews yet, but a lot of the jobs have gotten back to me with rejections. That might be unique to my field of work, but I don't know. I was shocked at how many employers actually got into contact me when my app was received, and if it was rejected.

I'm doing another round of applications this week. I've since done some extreme edits to my cover letter and CV. A lot of applications don't ask for my CV, but rather just the application form and a "personal statement." I've made sure to include both in my cover letter and personal statement that I do not need a sponsor, I have the right to work in the UK and I am willing to relocate.

I'm hoping once I get that volunteer work in Dec (If I don't score something sooner) that the UK experience boosts my chances. Good luck!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 27
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
TeamTollie-you're in the history/education/museum field, right? Applications for local authorities are often a lot different (if that's where you are applying for the stuff in your area, not retail, obviously) and they won't want the CV as much as the personal statement and their standard forms.

My experience/training in hiring/applying for jobs in local authorities/universities (not for academic jobs but support-I'm a librarian) is that the personal statement is a huge part of the application.  You need to make sure that you address each and every point in the job specification quite thoroughly.  The advice that I got from a boss a long time ago (I've lived here 16 years and it's served me well!) that for jobs in this area, you need to address one aspect-how you have done that, an experience with it and how you would apply it in the future for each and every bit of what they want.  It makes your statement really long but in a lot of these jobs, they get tons of applicants and that initial bit (and the interview, sometimes) is a tickbox/scoring exercise.  You need to show that you've met each of the things that they are looking for.
We recently had like 200+ applications for a library assistant post and basically had to tick off that they had mentioned each of those things to even begin to narrow it down.  Even if you had like 10+ years of experience, if you didn't mention a part/some parts of the job spec, you wouldn't make it to interview.

Not sure if that's any help, just my little bit of advice, as applying for jobs in public/private sector are often very different beasts.

Good luck!   

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »
It makes your statement really long but in a lot of these jobs, they get tons of applicants and that initial bit (and the interview, sometimes) is a tickbox/scoring exercise.  You need to show that you've met each of the things that they are looking for.
We recently had like 200+ applications for a library assistant post and basically had to tick off that they had mentioned each of those things to even begin to narrow it down.  Even if you had like 10+ years of experience, if you didn't mention a part/some parts of the job spec, you wouldn't make it to interview.

Yeah, a lot of companies do 'sifts' now, before getting to the interview stage, and if you don't address every single thing they have specified in the job requirements, or get a certain score on each requirement, you won't get through the sift.

I remember a colleague of mine saying that all 22 people from her masters course applied for our job - they were all academically qualified for it, but only 2 of them got through the sift and were invited for interview (because the other 20 didn't address all the required points on the application form).

I've also seen colleagues apply for internal jobs that they had already been filling in for on a temporary basis, but they didn't even get an interview because their application didn't make it through the sift... despite the fact that they had already shown they could do the job... by actually doing it!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
Yeah, a lot of companies do 'sifts' now, before getting to the interview stage, and if you don't address every single thing they have specified in the job requirements, or get a certain score on each requirement, you won't get through the sift.

I remember a colleague of mine saying that all 22 people from her masters course applied for our job - they were all academically qualified for it, but only 2 of them got through the sift and were invited for interview (because the other 20 didn't address all the required points on the application form).

I've also seen colleagues apply for internal jobs that they had already been filling in for on a temporary basis, but they didn't even get an interview because their application didn't make it through the sift... despite the fact that they had already shown they could do the job... by actually doing it!

It took us almost a year of applying to figure out how to get my husband's application through the first sift.  Once we figured it out, he got an interview, and of course they loved him like I knew they would, and he is now working happily ever after.  Be thorough, be redundant if you have to... address every single criterion.  It's a point-getting exercise.  The more points you can collect for each job requirement, the better you'll be ranked against other applicants before you even get to the interview.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »
TeamTollie-you're in the history/education/museum field, right? Applications for local authorities are often a lot different (if that's where you are applying for the stuff in your area, not retail, obviously) and they won't want the CV as much as the personal statement and their standard forms.

My experience/training in hiring/applying for jobs in local authorities/universities (not for academic jobs but support-I'm a librarian) is that the personal statement is a huge part of the application.  You need to make sure that you address each and every point in the job specification quite thoroughly.  The advice that I got from a boss a long time ago (I've lived here 16 years and it's served me well!) that for jobs in this area, you need to address one aspect-how you have done that, an experience with it and how you would apply it in the future for each and every bit of what they want.  It makes your statement really long but in a lot of these jobs, they get tons of applicants and that initial bit (and the interview, sometimes) is a tickbox/scoring exercise.  You need to show that you've met each of the things that they are looking for.

Not sure if that's any help, just my little bit of advice, as applying for jobs in public/private sector are often very different beasts.

Good luck!
Wow! This was a massive help......I always put my faith in my CV and kind of just put a generic thing in the personal statement. Definitely going to adjust that now.....it'll make applying to t
Jobs take twice as long but if it'll score me one.....! And yes I'm in the museums/library/archive field! So this was massively educational. Thank you so much. I'm doing another round of applications today so I'll keep all of this in mind.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 01:36:03 PM »
No problem, and sorry that I hadn't replied earlier when I saw your posts about looking for work.  It's tricky-you kind of think CV/resume should cover it but for lots of public sector/university jobs they barely look at the CV-it's an online form to fill in.

The good thing with doing all the work in the personal statement is that you are massively prepared for the interview with examples and such.

My background was public libraries and now I'm an academic librarian but if people hadn't already mentioned a good place to look is www.jobs.ac.uk (academic/support staff/university jobs-they have university archive and museum jobs/PhDs, etc.) and www.lisjobnet.com (the job site for CILIP-our equivalent of the ALA in the UK).   I know you're more museums but another useful resource is the NLPN-it's for like newly qualified library people but they post job adverts/opportunities, etc. They are based (mostly) in Manchester, so a bit far away for you but they do a job shadowing scheme that might be useful if you are thinking more archives stuff.

If I can be of any help just let me know! Most of my university contacts are in the NW (where I live) and public library/archive contacts are in Norwich (where I used to live) so might not be of too much use to you but one never knows!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »
No problem, and sorry that I hadn't replied earlier when I saw your posts about looking for work.  It's tricky-you kind of think CV/resume should cover it but for lots of public sector/university jobs they barely look at the CV-it's an online form to fill in.

The good thing with doing all the work in the personal statement is that you are massively prepared for the interview with examples and such.

My background was public libraries and now I'm an academic librarian but if people hadn't already mentioned a good place to look is www.jobs.ac.uk (academic/support staff/university jobs-they have university archive and museum jobs/PhDs, etc.) and www.lisjobnet.com (the job site for CILIP-our equivalent of the ALA in the UK).   I know you're more museums but another useful resource is the NLPN-it's for like newly qualified library people but they post job adverts/opportunities, etc. They are based (mostly) in Manchester, so a bit far away for you but they do a job shadowing scheme that might be useful if you are thinking more archives stuff.

If I can be of any help just let me know! Most of my university contacts are in the NW (where I live) and public library/archive contacts are in Norwich (where I used to live) so might not be of too much use to you but one never knows!

just applied to a job (located in Scotland) and I followed your advice....Took me 2 hours but I did it! lol!

I also included that I have a visa already and don't need a sponsor and that I am willing to relocate.

phew...onto the next....

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »
@kintheuk  Thanks again for your advice. I spent hours molding my applications yesterday, making sure my personal statement was perfect and detailed, and matched every piece of the job description. I also provided examples for each criteria.

There were 2 that only asked for my cover letter and CV, so  I edited my cover letter and tailored them to that particular job, borrowing things from their job description and website. I hope, hope, hope this makes all the difference.

I got 3 rejections today from other jobs I'd applied for and it isn't bumming me out as much as it was because now  I know how wrong my applications were! Instead of "why aren't I getting any interviews" to "well no wonder they're rejecting you! You did the applications all wrong!!"

So thank you. You've given me some of my positivity back, and the encouragement I needed to keep going. I am going to get an interview.....I'm putting so much effort into these applications. I have the experience, I have the degree/certifications....! #positive

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
@kintheuk  Thanks again for your advice. I spent hours molding my applications yesterday, making sure my personal statement was perfect and detailed, and matched every piece of the job description. I also provided examples for each criteria.

There were 2 that only asked for my cover letter and CV, so  I edited my cover letter and tailored them to that particular job, borrowing things from their job description and website. I hope, hope, hope this makes all the difference.

I got 3 rejections today from other jobs I'd applied for and it isn't bumming me out as much as it was because now  I know how wrong my applications were! Instead of "why aren't I getting any interviews" to "well no wonder they're rejecting you! You did the applications all wrong!!"

So thank you. You've given me some of my positivity back, and the encouragement I needed to keep going. I am going to get an interview.....I'm putting so much effort into these applications. I have the experience, I have the degree/certifications....! #positive

Looking for a job is definitely a full time job!

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
You're welcome-I do hope that that's how they shortlist and look at things, too! (and they aren't shortlisting your stuff now thinking, THERE IS SO MUCH WRITTEN!) 

There's lots of good information on here about job-seeking but it does really depend on your sector/field.  Recruiters aren't really used for academic/public libraries/museums, at least not until you're a lot higher up, so a CV and a resume isn't what is the main part of what they are looking for.  It can be frustrating-I've gone for jobs within my own organisation with WAY more experience than anyone else interviewed but I wasn't filling stuff out right. 

I digress.  Good luck!!!

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
I had a very hard time finding work here when I moved out in April 2016. I was kind of shocked, as I had worked here when I was a student in 2002 and 2003, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I eventually signed up with a nanny agency (as I have a background as a nanny and in childcare) even though I did not want to be a nanny anymore...I was desperate. At the same time I also started volunteering for an organization that I wanted to work for (working with victims of domestic abuse and street sex workers). I took a part time nanny position in October 2016, 6 months after being here. I stayed for 1 year, and I got hired to the first job I applied for after I hit my one year mark. I was shocked ( I think the volunteering helped a TON, because I had a reference in the filed I wanted to go into), and it was a maternity cover position, so I only got hired for a 1 year contract.I have not been at that job for a year and I am now on a permanent contract, and I don't think it would be hard if I wanted to find a job again. Things move very slowly here with employment. Everything has to be checked, and approved, and it just seems to take forever. It was pretty frustrating, but I love my job now and will stay there as long as I can. I work with children who have been impacted by domestic abuse in their home, and I am based out of a refuge but I also work with children in the community.

In all, it took me 2 and a half years for a permanent position, but I got it by being a maternity cover and that took me 1.5 years to get, along with volunteering. It is hard and the wages are lower, and that's hard to wrap your head around too.

Good luck and you will eventually get where you want to be!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab