Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding a Job in the UK  (Read 2705 times)

• Liked: 250
Re: Finding a Job in the UK
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »
I am hoping my volunteer work (in my field) in December helps boost my luck! I'm glad you finally got something. I don't have enough money saved to last a year. I need a job within 6 months or so. Even if it's at a cafe or something

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 113
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:54 AM »
So it's the UK, the Land of the Check Boxes haha! From immigrations to job hunting. Tick, tick, tick! Anyway I started at Sainsbury's today. Working at the tills I hope this detour leads me down the path to future employment in my field of work (Supply Chain & Logistics IT) since I will now have that coveted "UK experience"

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 05:40:22 AM »
So it's the UK, the Land of the Check Boxes haha! From immigrations to job hunting. Tick, tick, tick! Anyway I started at Sainsbury's today. Working at the tills I hope this detour leads me down the path to future employment in my field of work (Supply Chain & Logistics IT) since I will now have that coveted "UK experience"

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh that's great! Good luck in this job and in finding something in your field.  :)

• Liked: 250
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
I had a hopeful encounter yesterday. I was at Coffee #1 in town and I ended up befriending the baristas and another customer (long story) but we all chatted for literally 2 hours. We all talked about this and that and of course it came up about my never ended job search. Well, after the convo died out, one of the baristas (the team leader-current manager) pulled me aside and said to bring my CV asap. She said she is sure they'll have work opening up in the next couple weeks (couldn't make any promises but seemed confident and she would know, right?) Anyway, she said that since they spent so much time talking to me and getting to know me she'd put my CV at the front of the queue so when a position opens I'll be the first considered.

I really, really hope something comes of this. Of course, I want a job in my career sector but as of now any job will do. And to be honest, the fact that I spent 2 hours talking with these people already tells me I'd enjoy working there.

Fingers crossed!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 239
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
Fingers crossed TT!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
And to be honest, the fact that I spent 2 hours talking with these people already tells me I'd enjoy working there.

Do NOT underestimate the power of this statement!  Especially when you are new somewhere.  ;D

• Liked: 9
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 05:41:08 PM »
I wish I'd have seen this some months back, like when the thread started. I've applied to 200+ jobs (most with recruitment agencies, which I understand are more difficult to get a job with if you require sponsorship). I got two calls back. One was a brief phone interview who said they'd call me back for a proper interview and never did. The other scheduled a proper interview with me and I so wanted that job but I had to kind of chase them down to get a rejection.

I have an undergrad in tech and am just about finishing my masters in a similar tech field. I have zero experience in the industry (new grad, entry level) and assumed this was the reason I was not hearing much back, or possibly the fact I required sponsorship. Now I wonder if some of it was not making the sift.

ETA: The field I seek work in is on the shortage list but requires five years experience and experience having led a team.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:55:14 PM by Cali2England »
==Beginning my journey (work in progress)==
Date of fiance(e) visa application: July 11, 2020
Date of biometrics: July 20, 2020
Date documents sent to NY Hub: July 21, 2020
...more coming soon!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 06:00:02 PM »
I wish I'd have seen this some months back, like when the thread started. I've applied to 200+ jobs (most with recruitment agencies, which I understand are more difficult to get a job with if you require sponsorship). I got two calls back. One was a brief phone interview who said they'd call me back for a proper interview and never did. The other scheduled a proper interview with me and I so wanted that job but I had to kind of chase them down to get a rejection.

I have an undergrad in tech and am just about finishing my masters in a similar tech field. I have zero experience in the industry (new grad, entry level) and assumed this was the reason I was not hearing much back, or possibly the fact I required sponsorship. Now I wonder if some of it was not making the sift.

ETA: The field I seek work in is on the shortage list but requires five years experience and experience having led a team.
You should be fine once you land with a spouse visa then. There will likely be many graduate roles. :) It's being mid career that really kicks a lot of people while they are down. For me, my disability and mental health have gotten in the way. But if you are just starting out with the qualifications needed, you should be ok. Just be prepared for some sticker shock on the salary!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3589
Finding a Job in the UK
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »

It is tough, especially if you don’t have to right to work in the UK.

However, I see from your other post that you are planning to apply for a fiancé visa... which means that once you are married, you don’t need sponsorship for a job, as your FLR(M) visa will give you the same right to work  as any U.K. citizen.

But, as you cannot work in any capacity on a fiancé visa, there’s not much point applying for jobs now... because you won’t be able to start working until after you are married and have your next visa (which could take several more months depending on when you get the fiancé visa, when you marry and when you get the FLR(M)).

Alternatively, as was suggested in your other thread, if your fiancé was to fly over to the US, you could marry there within a couple of days and apply directly for a spousal visa, which would allow you to work immediately upon arriving in the UK on that visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 9
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 07:20:07 PM »
It is tough, especially if you don’t have to right to work in the UK.

However, I see from your other post that you are planning to apply for a fiancé visa... which means that once you are married, you don’t need sponsorship for a job, as your FLR(M) visa will give you the same right to work  as any U.K. citizen.

But, as you cannot work in any capacity on a fiancé visa, there’s not much point applying for jobs now... because you won’t be able to start working until after you are married and have your next visa (which could take several more months depending on when you get the fiancé visa, when you marry and when you get the FLR(M)).

Alternatively, as was suggested in your other thread, if your fiancé was to fly over to the US, you could marry there within a couple of days and apply directly for a spousal visa, which would allow you to work immediately upon arriving in the UK on that visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, ya we are currently in talks of going the spouse visa route. Honestly whichever is faster at this point will be ideal.

As for jobs, I should have mentioned I have been applying to see if I can come over sooner on a Tier 2 Visa than waiting until I can apply for a fiancee visa (waiting on a divorce, for those who might not have read the other thread). So I started applying around August of last year in hopes someone--anyone--would hire me. :/ I even thought about an exceptional talent/exceptional promise visa. Anything to get me there ASAP.

margo--thank you for the reply as well. That eases my mind a bit. I was worried I might have similar experience when I am actually there on a spouse visa. So this calms me down a bit now.

I am perfectly happy with a pay cut. Anything to be with the love of my life. :)
==Beginning my journey (work in progress)==
Date of fiance(e) visa application: July 11, 2020
Date of biometrics: July 20, 2020
Date documents sent to NY Hub: July 21, 2020
...more coming soon!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
Thanks, ya we are currently in talks of going the spouse visa route. Honestly whichever is faster at this point will be ideal.

The actual processing/waiting times of fiance(e) or spouse visas are exactly the same.  You will not get a faster decision if you apply for one over the other - both are grouped in the "settlement" category and aren't processed to different time standards.

The time difference will likely come from whether you decide to marry first (and apply for a spouse visa after you are married) or apply for a fiance(e) visa first and marry later in the UK.  But the latter route has drawbacks (as have been mentioned in your other thread) and is more expensive due to needing to apply for 2 visas in a short space.   

I am perfectly happy with a pay cut. Anything to be with the love of my life. :)

If you are aware that can happen, and you're okay with it, that's great.  We mention it as a heads up as the costs of living in the UK are higher paired with significantly lower salaries - many people who move over find they cannot maintain the same standard of living they had in the US.  And with Brexit, who knows what the economy will be like.   ???  Also, for financial planning, expect to need at least £10k to £12k to pay for visa fees over the 5-year route to ILR/citizenship.

Sponsored Links