Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Short term health insurance  (Read 2379 times)

• Liked: 11
Short term health insurance
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Well, after 5 months of lots of tears and discussion we've decided to move back to the USA. I'll be going back to my old job, but I don't think benefits start until 30 days after we arrive. Has anybody recently used either some holiday insurance(through NHS) or a short term option. We will be near Denver. I've read that visa and passports are the only thing required to avoid the health insurance penalty when doing taxes? We are all US citizens. Kids and hubby are dual and I'm on a spouse visa.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
Re: Short term health insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
I know that must have been a tough decision for you guys to make.  How are you feeling about it?  Relief?

I have a friend who repatriated last year.  I'll ask her what she did.

Well that wasn't helpful - she went without!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:50:00 PM by KFdancer »

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
Relief. Yes. I used to wake up in the morning realizing that I was still here. It's not a bad place: just not right for us. Btw thank you so much for all the support getting us here. I got my visa in June and we brought our 90lb pound Newfoundland with us. We sold our house to qualify for the visa. Sadly our dog died 10 days after arriving. I don't regret moving. We needed to give it a go. Relieved we both feel the same. Kids are loving school here so that may be tricky but they're young.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:47:12 PM »
All the very best for the move back! And life will be easier now as you won't have the "what if" hanging over you!  :)

• Liked: 239
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
I know I've already told you this privately, but I hope you'll stay in touch. You do what you need to do and what's best for the family. Being miserable sucks.

Hopefully someone has an answer for the health insurance for you.

Thank you again for all the help you've given me. Good luck with everything.  :)
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
My friend added a few other bits.

She said there should be something available through your local authority (I am guessing county).  And of course there are temp cover providers.

She moved in advance of her husband (no kids) and she had two safety nets.  One was big coverage on her car insurance for medical.  The other was that because her husband was still in the UK and they still had their UK home, she said she would have attempted to use her travel insurance policy if it had been needed.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »
I’m pleased you feel relief.  Everyone should live where they are happy.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
You're sweet. I've read a few of your posts to my husband about your situation. and he was like, where is she- let's go meet up and cheer her up.  He quit his job about an hour after I find out I could get mine back. Now we are off together while the kids are at school. Organizing the trip back. The stress of the last year is finally starting to recede.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
Thanks KFdancer I'll keep those things in mind. I had a feeling there wasn't an easy answer.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:30:11 PM »
You're sweet. I've read a few of your posts to my husband about your situation. and he was like, where is she- let's go meet up and cheer her up.  He quit his job about an hour after I find out I could get mine back. Now we are off together while the kids are at school. Organizing the trip back. The stress of the last year is finally starting to recede.

Aww. I'm feeling a little better. Trying to stay focused on that darn CBT. Then I'm focusing on taking my theory test for driving. Trying to stay busy busy  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 672
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
This may not be of help, but possibly it would.

https://www.cohealthinfo.com/

In a pinch, there's Kaiser?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
I would be very wary of using travel insurance when you are actually moving.  Seems to me that as soon as a claim was made, they would simply declare the policy null.

The good news is that price comparison sites will generally present you with a long list of companies with all the terms and conditions neatly laid out.

I'm a connisuer of travel insurance because I need one that doesn't disqualify me for a particular sport.  Reading the t& c for many polices is interesting, many won't pay out for anything.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 12:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the input. We talked to travel insurance: world nomads and they said it would work. The tricky part would be if something catastrophic happened you would get brought back to uk for care. On the other hand. I was told by connect Colorado that the policy would be based on my address etc. which I don't have yet. We have jobs but my mail is going to my moms address which is not in Colorado. It seems the travel insurance is the best option for the 3 weeks we need it. After that we will use my employee private insurance. If we got the short term insurance it probably wouldn't pay out either. In that case, would u rather be on nhs or pay out in usa. I don't see a great option.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab