Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Normal things treated like "weird american things"  (Read 10280 times)

• Liked: 46
Re: Normal things treated like "weird american things"
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
If they are older, it might be because they are just used to having plain tea and coffee and they don't even realise there are so many better coffee options out there! hahah At least they were open to trying it! I can't tell you the amount of people that do the "I don't like pumpkin spice/pumpkin flavoured things"....
have you tried it??...
"no...I just know I don't like it!"...

Too true, they did not strike me as the type of guys that did not drink the more exotic coffee drinks, but their curiosity seemed to me that they suspected it was some sort of American influence that I brought with me. My husband is the one that owned the coffee machine before I arrived though.  :P
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 10:21:10 PM »
I have never heard of warm squash. Now I'm going to need to Google and then figure out where to buy it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 10:26:09 PM »
I have never heard of warm squash. Now I'm going to need to Google and then figure out where to buy it.

It's just normal squash drink but diluted with hot water instead of cold water :). You can buy it in the drinks aisle of any supermarket.

For example: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/squash-and-cordial/all

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 10:30:21 PM »
It's just normal squash drink but diluted with hot water instead of cold water :). You can buy it in the drinks aisle of any supermarket.

For example: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/squash-and-cordial/all
Oh. I thought squash squash. Not drink squash. Lmfao.

I was literally thinking, how do you get warm liquid squash... was thinking of like a pressed apple type of drink but made with a squash. Lololol

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 08:37:34 AM »
I bought some mulled flavored squash and can't wait to try it (well, cordial but I think that's the same thing?)

I would probably get annoyed to the point of saying something to management about the coworker who is rather mean spirited in her comments. So many American things are normal over here now. But I have to laugh every time I walk by the American section in Sainsburys and its entirely awful sweets. But they did have canned pumpkin for £1 this week!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Oh. I thought squash squash. Not drink squash. Lmfao.

I was literally thinking, how do you get warm liquid squash... was thinking of like a pressed apple type of drink but made with a squash. Lololol

HAHAH no. It's Robinsons Winter Edition: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302036317   No literal squash here LOL

I bought some mulled flavored squash and can't wait to try it (well, cordial but I think that's the same thing?)

I would probably get annoyed to the point of saying something to management about the coworker who is rather mean spirited in her comments. So many American things are normal over here now. But I have to laugh every time I walk by the American section in Sainsburys and its entirely awful sweets. But they did have canned pumpkin for £1 this week!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I don't even bother, I just make comments back now. Like on Tuesday I made a bagel sandwich for lunch and she said "Did you make your own lunch today?" (I buy when I forget to make my own lunch which is about a 50-50) and I said "Yeah it's just nicer" and she said "OH! I love that you have a bagel for lunch.." in a tone that was like it was really different lol I just responded with "It's literally only a bagel sandwich...nothing that fancy or weird....I've only replaced bread slices with a bagel..."  I thought about how maybe it's just not done here then beyond me/my husband and somebody else at work was like "no, that's not a weird/unique thing at all...plenty of people have bagel sandwiches". I think this lady just likes to make *somebody* feel small and weird and different so they can be the outsider and it's usually easiest to go for the people who have something different about them (like their nationality).  Again, I know she probably doesn't mean to come across as bitchy or rude, but I just respond to her comments in kind now. Like her comment about it being funny to hear an american call somebody a drama queen, I just responded with "nahh Americans *know* when they're being dramatic and will own up to it unlike brits." I don't even believe that's necessarily true, I just wanted to same something snarky back to her because she always has this "Brits are the perfect specimen and everybody else has flaws" mentality that irritates me.

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »

The only thing in my locker at work was nescafe Salted Caramel Mocha sachets. I made one right before my call and one of the ladies that is always quick with backhanded compliments or sly/cheeky comments that can sound really rude said something like "is that coffee?" and then another guy next to me joined in and said "is it? what is that?". I explained and she went "Oh that's like one of those meal in a mug more than coffee!". The guy then said "how many coffees do you have on the go!?" and I said well one is a bottle of water, one is a winter warmer and there's my coffee." He asked what a winter warmer was and I explained it's a squash you make with hot water and got the response from a third person of "THAT'S SO AMERICAN!"

All I could respond with was "Squash isn't American! This is literally made and sold IN THE UK! TO A UK TARGET AUDIENCE!" The second guy had then said "why would I want to drink a winter warmer? Why would I want warm squash?!" and I said Why would you drink mulled wine? Why would you drink mulled cider?? They then started banging on about the coffee and I said "It literally comes from a sachet! I didn't just go in and make this coffee myself! It's instant coffee! The same as what you'd have of a different flavour!"

My brain is in American mode. I actually thought you were talking about Squash (Like Calabaza, Butternut, Courgettes) and I was like "What the heck? Heated up squash in a mug?!"

Then my British brain woke up and said "She's talking about juice! REMEMBER SQUASH IS JUICE!!" and I sat here laughing like a crazy person for 5 minutes.

Yeah, that one woman you work with sounds like a right one! I don't know what they're on about! When I was a kid and had a sore throat, Hot Ribena or Vimto was just the thing!

In fact, I'd say those people you work with aren't British. They're Russian Spies.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:18:18 PM by TheTokenBrit »

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
My brain is in American mode. I actually thought you were talking about Squash (Like Calabaza, Butternut, Courgettes) and I was like "What the heck? Heated up squash in a mug?!"

Then my British brain woke up and said "She's talking about juice! REMEMBER SQUASH IS JUICE!!" and I sat here laughing like a crazy person for 5 minutes.

Yeah, that one woman you work with sounds like a right one! I don't know what they're on about! When I was a kid and had a sore throat, Hot Ribena or Vimto was just the thing!

In fact, I'd say those people you work with aren't British. They're Russian Spies.
You weren't the only one.

• Tea And A Butty
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 08:03:22 PM »
You weren't the only one.

Oh I totally missed that! LOL I don't know. I'm turning American I guess! 8 years here will do that to you!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
Token's guitar sounds a little less jangly now!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Tea And A Butty
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »
Token's guitar sounds a little less jangly now!

And a little more grungy?

• Liked: 533
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
Happened to Johnny Marr.

#savethejangle
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 70
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »
I can't tell you the amount of people that do the "I don't like pumpkin spice/pumpkin flavoured things"....
have you tried it??...
"no...I just know I don't like it!"...

That's me!! I can't handle sweet drinks. Black coffee only. No coke. No squash. No much of anything other than black coffee or stout or plain water.  I'm the person at Starbucks who asks for half a shot of a flavour if I really crave it (they put 4 in usually! For the love of all that is holy, WHY????).  I just know I hate flavoured coffees.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
That's me!! I can't handle sweet drinks. Black coffee only. No coke. No squash. No much of anything other than black coffee or stout or plain water.  I'm the person at Starbucks who asks for half a shot of a flavour if I really crave it (they put 4 in usually! For the love of all that is holy, WHY????).  I just know I hate flavoured coffees.

I don't mind people not liking it because they've tried it and it's not to their taste. I don't even mind people who haven't tried it and just don't *think* it's to their taste without actually knowing. The people I can't stand are the ones that act shocked/horrified at the notion of another person enjoying pumpkin spice or they act WAY over the top about how gross the flavour is so they don't want to try a baked good only to find out they genuinely haven't even tried it lol I honestly don't even mind if they don't want a baked good, but they just look ridiculous acting so over-the-top about something they genuinely haven't even tasted!!

hahahah that's excellent. I honestly haven't a clue about them and where these reactions come from. My suspicion is that they either think they're being funny or entertaining. I just think it makes them look ridiculous acting so shocked and surprised about something that's literally something I ONLY know as being British!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Tea And A Butty
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 04:21:38 AM »

hahahah that's excellent. I honestly haven't a clue about them and where these reactions come from. My suspicion is that they either think they're being funny or entertaining. I just think it makes them look ridiculous acting so shocked and surprised about something that's literally something I ONLY know as being British!

It just shows their absolute idiocy with it. Like, what are they going to say next? "OH! LOOK AT YOU HAVING MILK IN YOUR TEA! THAT'S SOOOOO AMERICAN!" hahaha!

Sponsored Links