Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Normal things treated like "weird american things"  (Read 10311 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Normal things treated like "weird american things"
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
It just shows their absolute idiocy with it. Like, what are they going to say next? "OH! LOOK AT YOU HAVING MILK IN YOUR TEA! THAT'S SOOOOO AMERICAN!" hahaha!

No it's typically "2 lumps of sugar?!? YOUR TEETH ARE GOING TO FALL OUT!...So American to need so much sugar in your diet!" (not even joking)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
No it's typically "2 lumps of sugar?!? YOUR TEETH ARE GOING TO FALL OUT!...So American to need so much sugar in your diet!" (not even joking)

They cannot be serious! These people are starting to sound like they have an agenda. Do you retort "Oh MY teeth are going to fall out? What about your bad teeth?!" HAHAHA

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 07:48:00 PM »
They cannot be serious! These people are starting to sound like they have an agenda. Do you retort "Oh MY teeth are going to fall out? What about your bad teeth?!" HAHAHA

People have told me I should use the teeth retort but I honestly don't want to resort to low blows lol
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
This was years ago, I was cooking some apples at my UK husband's parent's house. I couldn't find the cinnamon in the kitchen, and thinking it is a pantry staple asked hubby where it was, he called out to his mum to ask and she answered, 'No we haven't got any cinnamon, cinnamon with apples is an American thing.' She also informed me one summer she didn't have any ice cube trays because 'Ice in drinks is for children'. So yeah.
Work permit (which I guess now would be called a Tier 2 Visa for Skilled Migrant Workers -- and might have been called that then, I don't remember) 2002. ILR 2004. UK citizenship 2007.

• Liked: 20
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 11:40:31 AM »
I went to a conference last fall where a guy told me my name was "very American!"  :o

In general, I spend so much time fielding questions about being American and American life and politics that I'm usually grateful to anyone who will discuss other things. I don't mind answering some questions, there's just so much more that interests me, and that's interesting about me, than my nationality.

• Liked: 424
Normal things treated like "weird american things"
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 04:19:22 PM »
I went to a conference last fall where a guy told me my name was "very American!"  :o

In general, I spend so much time fielding questions about being American and American life and politics that I'm usually grateful to anyone who will discuss other things. I don't mind answering some questions, there's just so much more that interests me, and that's interesting about me, than my nationality.
I have to field the American questions every single day. I meet and talk to tons of people and inevitably........even my doctor’s secretary today....a 20 minute conversation about me and America!
Many say “ that’s not an Inverness accent “ to which I now reply....what do you mean? I was born and raised here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
Yeah, the Daughter gets it at work. A lot. Too much.

She also gets a lot of people asking questions that are waaaaay too personal. Like asking her where she's from and when she says the state they want to know precisely where and why she's here, and they keep pushing it when she deflects them to other, pertinent topics, like was there anything else that they needed today?

Apparently she gets a lot of older men who are put off that she responds to them exactly as the men who work at the shop respond to them. No silly little giggles over attempted flirting, etc., just does the job and "here's your change, sir."  One nut-job apparently burst into song last week (Smillllleee and the world smiles with you....) while she had a line halfway down the aisle. This week it was the guy who handed her his money, and she reached out to take it and he pulled it back, then handed it back at her, then pulled it back with a "uh, not fast enough honey, try again". She says the casual sexism she gets from "old guys" here is just astounding.*   She's not there to be their geisha, she's there to take their payment for goods purchased.  ::)

Then there was the guy this week who stuck his receipt in his mouth, and then threw it back at her, covered in "spit".  She had some choice words about that one. The manager and his minions couldn't catch the guy as he got out the door too fast, but it appears they were going to have some words with him had they done so. As in like several of the larger male co-workers, who were....somewhat angry.

And she gets a lot of skeevy old guys - she says it's always "UK" guys over like 45 - who are really inappropriate. "Your waive is such a turn-on"...."the man downstairs is happy to see you" (and we ain't talking real stairs there  :o  ). Stuff like that. All the time. She says the Irish, French, and other foreign people are absolutely lovely. And younger people. It seems to be mainly a subset of men over a certain age who are clueless. And arseholes.  She doesn't play along with it either. Eventually, one of 'em is going to get his nose rearranged.

She says it's probably a "cultural thing" - as in the women here are used to being treated badly and just play along rather than not putting up with it and "causing a fuss" because that is some sort of generic cultural taboo. I wonder how all that's going to turn out, in the end?  They did hire her on a permanent basis, so apparently the bosses like her work. I told her that if it was me I would say to the man downstairs guy in a loud voice "I really don't care about the status of your willy, grandpa, and here's your change. Next in line...?" And if he didn't move on immediately I'd be pushing the security button. (Apparently he comes in more or less regularly, and hits on the younger women.)

[Edit: *  translates into "at least once a day, minimum" and sometimes more.]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:19:46 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
Yeah, the Daughter gets it at work. A lot. Too much.

She also gets a lot of people asking questions that are waaaaay too personal. Like asking her where she's from (and when she says the state they want to know precisely where and why she's here, and they keep pushing it when she deflects them to other, pertinent topics, like was there anything else that they needed today?).

Apparently she gets a lot of older men who are put off that she responds to them exactly as the men who work at the shop respond to them. No silly little giggles over attempted flirting, etc., just does the job and "here's your change, sir."  One nut-job apparently burst into song last week (Smillllleee and the world smiles with you....) while she had a line halfway down the aisle. This week it was the guy who handed her his money, and she reached out to take it and he pulled it back, then handed it back at her, then pulled it back with a "uh, not fast enough honey, try again". She says the casual sexism she gets from "old guys" here is just astounding. She's not there to be their geisha, she's there to take their payment for goods purchased.  ::)

Then there was the guy who stuck his receipt in his mouth, and then threw it back at her, covered in "spit".  She had some choice words about that one. The manager and his minions couldn't catch the guy as he got out the door too fast, but it appears they were going to have some words with him had they done so. As in like several of the larger male co-workers, who were....somewhat angry.

And she gets a lot of skeevy old guys - she says it's almost always "UK" guys over like 45 - who are really inappropriate. "Your waive is such a turn-on"...."the man downstairs is happy to see you" (and we ain't talking real stairs there  :o  ). Stuff like that. All the time. She says the Irish, French, and foreign people are absolutely lovely. And younger people. It seems to be mainly a subset of men over a certain age who are clueless. And arseholes.  She doesn't play along with it either. Eventually, one of 'em is going to get his nose rearranged.
I have old men customers all day long in retail pharmacy and not once has any of them been inappropriate.

I get lots of questions, all day, every day and they all come from a place of genuine curiosity. I chit chat about my life there and here, how it's different, how it's similar and everyone is always so pleased to hear how much I love Scotland. And when they ask what brought me here, and I respond with, "I married a Scotsman", they all giggle a little and say something along the lines of

1. I moved here from England for a Scotsman xx amount of years ago.

2. That's the best reason of all.

3. He must be very special for you to move so far away from your family for him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »
Very different environment you work in, there.

Probably not too many drunks through there, either.  ;D  Lucky you!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
It's not just older men Nan, there's a big chunk of people here (and everywhere) that are rude. I was stopping over to a friend's house to pick something up (not planning on staying long) but she invited me for a coffee and one of her male friends was there. He's a postman and found it completely appropriate to hit on me and invade my personal space, trying to "make me smile", even knowing I am married. I was uncomfortable and left quickly after that, needless to say he got a talking to from the friend, but he thought she completely over reacted because all of his mates would have done the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
It's not just older men Nan, there's a big chunk of people here (and everywhere) that are rude. I was stopping over to a friend's house to pick something up (not planning on staying long) but she invited me for a coffee and one of her male friends was there. He's a postman and found it completely appropriate to hit on me and invade my personal space, trying to "make me smile", even knowing I am married. I was uncomfortable and left quickly after that, needless to say he got a talking to from the friend, but he thought she completely over reacted because all of his mates would have done the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't worry about the Daughter that much, really. She grew up in a ghetto high school and can more than take care of herself.  She's got boundaries and if someone crosses too far over one of them she will unload on them in no uncertain terms.  One guy was physically threatening and trying to bully her, leaning over the counter, etc.,  into selling him alcohol when he could not produce ID. She said he only backed off when she picked up the bottle and acted like she was hefting it to decide if she could glass him with it. (While at the same time buzzing security.) No ID=no sale.

She's already told one "gent" who was wheedling "come on, give me a smile today, sweetie" that she'd already had her quota of sexual harassment for the evening, thank you, and did he need a bag for his goods? loudly enough that people turned and stared at the guy. Apparently he's been back since then and behaved himself when she had to serve him, but was back at it with the much younger woman who works with her. (Lots of comments on the girl's backside, etc.)

The Daughter doesn't approve of someone saying "it's just banter" and will respond with "no, it's sexual harassment and inappropriate" in rather definite terms. The discussion usually ends quickly, unless there is alcohol involved.  She's got a security button to push, and the manager and her line supervisor are aware of what's going on, and are very supportive. Thankfully.

I'm really rather proud of her. She's got grit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:44:47 PM by Nan D. »

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
I have to field the American questions every single day. I meet and talk to tons of people and inevitably........even my doctor’s secretary today....a 20 minute conversation about me and America!
Many say “ that’s not an Inverness accent “ to which I now reply....what do you mean? I was born and raised here!

I get the same thing 5 times a day, every office i go into invariably leads to "where are you from" question... by the end of the day..I Am Canadian!! ;D

• Liked: 4
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
Just on my vacations, my husband and I will stay at holiday lets. Usually the owners will want to chat with me when they find out the American wife is coming for a visit. They've more or less just been casual interest and such. Last one wanted my opinion on Trump. Now that's loaded both in positive and negative. (I'm still waiting for the real presidential candidates to please stand up. (Yes, that damn Eminem song goes through my head every time.))

It's also true on the reverse at work... if anyone has tea they don't like they give it to me some I married a Brit and they will 'obviously' like it. My husband prefers coffee with milk, while I only drink tea. I hate coffee. Though I am guilty of the tea sweetener and honey. (But the honey helps with allegories.)

It's fun reading these though!   :D

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 09:13:03 PM »
It's also true on the reverse at work... if anyone has tea they don't like they give it to me some I married a Brit and they will 'obviously' like it. My husband prefers coffee with milk, while I only drink tea. I hate coffee.

It’s funny the amount of people back in the US that make tea jokes and I can’t help but laugh because my husband isn’t much of a tea drinker. He’s a coffee guy and, since meeting me, he’s an ICED coffee guy lol. In-laws like coffee too hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 2
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
 ::)   Well, it's been assumed that I can't make a cup of tea. After being here nearly 20 years. lol. Know what? They might be right. I hate tea. I make it for people who ask for it, but I probably don't make it as "good" as someone who was born here. Mind you if they wore ear plugs they might think my tea tastes fine. Laughable.

Oh, and can I make a good Sunday dinner? Yeah, I can. That would be lasagne lol. I do try to make the typical sunday roast. sometimes. I just never managed to like yorkshire puds even though my son gobbles them up, bless him. thank god for auntie bessie

I also remember this conversation about guacamole with work colleagues. A few years ago,  hardly anyone from here knew what it even was. Now it's everywhere. But most british people think it's either "posh" or "disgusting". I don't even try and explain. What is the point. if they don't take to it, more for us, right? x

Sponsored Links