Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cheapest fares to visit USA  (Read 3363 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: Cheapest fares to visit USA
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »
For example,  right now United has flights from EDI to EWR for less than £300 RT.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Nothing's showing up on any of the search sites for this time next year, so I guess I need to wait a few weeks and check back again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »
Nothing's showing up on any of the search sites for this time next year, so I guess I need to wait a few weeks and check back again.

They book 11 months in advance.  Most airlines will have a big sale in January when everyone has post Christmas blues!

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:16:46 PM »
Ultimately  I'm to end up in Amarillo (Thanksgiving 2019),  but it seems so dear to fly there...im trying to research whether it would be lots cheaper to fly somewhere else, pick up a hire car and drive to Amarillo.  Flexible about where I fly from... GLA, EDI, MAN...preferably not London, but it's not out of the question.  So many variables make it hard to shop... I was wondering if you guys knew of a good site that makes it easy to chop & change and has good prices.
Hi... Amarillo is where I am from and live..
Have you tried google flights? I found some cheap flights on there. Hope you find your flights  :)
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Hi... Amarillo is where I am from and live..
Have you tried google flights? I found some cheap flights on there. Hope you find your flights  :)

I had never heard of Google flights until this thread, but that's what I've been using since finding out about it.  As I said further up, nothing showing for next November yet, but I will check back in a few weeks.

Yeah, my parents and my sister moved from California to Amarillo about 20-ish years ago.  My sister went to Abilene Christian University and met her husband there, and he was from Amarillo.  So when they got married and settled in Amarillo to start their family, my parents left California (thankfully... they lived in Paradise, where the terrible fires have wiped out the town), and moved to Amarillo so they could be a daily part of the grandchildren's lives.

So I'm not from there myself, but that's where I go to visit my family... I've been there 4 times, I think.  It's very... different... from Scotland, where I have lived for over 30 years!  ;D   I like the shop that sells nothing but iced tea, water and ice!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:23 PM »

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:00 PM »
I had never heard of Google flights until this thread, but that's what I've been using since finding out about it.  As I said further up, nothing showing for next November yet, but I will check back in a few weeks.

Yeah, my parents and my sister moved from California to Amarillo about 20-ish years ago.  My sister went to Abilene Christian University and met her husband there, and he was from Amarillo.  So when they got married and settled in Amarillo to start their family, my parents left California (thankfully... they lived in Paradise, where the terrible fires have wiped out the town), and moved to Amarillo so they could be a daily part of the grandchildren's lives.

So I'm not from there myself, but that's where I go to visit my family... I've been there 4 times, I think.  It's very... different... from Scotland, where I have lived for over 30 years!  ;D   I like the shop that sells nothing but iced tea, water and ice!
Oh how cool... Yes... Amarillo is quite different looking than alot of Texas ie: wind, tumbleweeds, dust, did I say wind haha... But my parents thought it had the best all around weather after they settled here from the Air Force...Oh yes, that is a nice store The Water Still , if that's what you're thinking of. ... our local water doesn't taste the best so we drink alot of bottled water.
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 11:59:32 PM »
Martin Lewis (MoneySavingExpert) is talking cheap flights in the latest newsletter. eg London-LA £288 return.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/?weeklytip=03-01-2019&utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=02-Jan-19-475-10&utm_campaign=nt-highlights&utm_content=4#flights

Yeah, BA for us, with a week's rental car, would be from Glasgow just over 1,000 pounds. Which is pretty darned good.  Hoping to find a carrier that won't require we land at Heathrow or Gatwick on the way back, though. So that leaves BA out, I think. Fingers are crossed for Aer Lingus to have a sale soon!

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
Oh, man there are BA flights + Car that would get us from Glasgow to LAX with a car for like 800 pounds now! As long as we could get a long layover at Heathrow to deal with the insanity that will happen when we try to come back in as EU and EU-direct dependent, maybe we'll chance it.

Unfortunately, in the fine print for the car, it says you have to have held your driver's license for a year. I think I'll contact the rental company and see if having a USA license (no longer valid) for thirty years prior and now the UK one would still count?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
Oh, man there are BA flights + Car that would get us from Glasgow to LAX with a car for like 800 pounds now! As long as we could get a long layover at Heathrow to deal with the insanity that will happen when we try to come back in as EU and EU-direct dependent, maybe we'll chance it.

Unfortunately, in the fine print for the car, it says you have to have held your driver's license for a year. I think I'll contact the rental company and see if having a USA license (no longer valid) for thirty years prior and now the UK one would still count?
If you have a long Heathrow layover we can get coffee :) Good luck, thats a great deal!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 11:10:28 AM »
Yeah, no. All the layovers at Heathrow were like an hour and a half. That definitely won't work with a wheelchair, and especially not having to come through customs/border protection coming back. (I assume we'd have to go through customs/border protection at Heathrow when we changed planes, rather than at Glasgow, our final destination?) We've had too many problems at Heathrow to want to use it, but would if the layovers were longer and the price was low enough. Frankly, I'd rather pay more and not have to deal with that airport. Or any airport in England.

Plus, when I tried Twitter and email to get info on the car "one year's license required" issue, both times I was directed to their "call us at x pence per minute" line.  I'll deal with an airline that actually wants my business, I think.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:12:30 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
YEEE-HAH!!
Done and dusted, and for much cheaper than I thought it would be (never had a flight to TX be this cheap before!).
Return flight from Glasgow to Amarillo in November (Thanksgiving week) for £429, plus £65 for 1 checked bag, so £494!!!  I usually end up paying £700+, so I'm pure chuffed!!
 ;D

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2019, 12:08:58 PM »
YEEE-HAH!!
Done and dusted, and for much cheaper than I thought it would be (never had a flight to TX be this cheap before!).
Return flight from Glasgow to Amarillo in November (Thanksgiving week) for £429, plus £65 for 1 checked bag, so £494!!!  I usually end up paying £700+, so I'm pure chuffed!!
 ;D

AMAZING!  That's great! Enjoy Amarillo!
(PS Don't eat the BBQ at the Big Texan, if it still is open. Nasty stuff. Steaks are good, though!)

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
AMAZING!  That's great! Enjoy Amarillo!
(PS Don't eat the BBQ at the Big Texan, if it still is open. Nasty stuff. Steaks are good, though!)

It was still open when i was there 2 years ago, but it's not a place my parents would go to eat.... they're very, erm... set in their ways.  They seem to only ever eat at Jasons Deli or Fuzzy's Tacos.   ::)  Might get my sister to take me to Wendy's, though!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 12:49:56 PM by Albatross »

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
OMG, my family are killllllllllllling me.

I messaged my mum and my sister to tell them that I'd booked my flights for Thanksgiving... thought they'd be really excited.
But they came back with... oh, why did you do that so soon?  MC (my niece) is getting married in the autumn and we thought you might rather come out for the wedding instead of Thanksgiving.

THEY FORGOT TO TELL ME SHE'D GOT ENGAGED AT NEW YEAR!  >:( :o :-X
So, depending on when her wedding date is (they said they should know in the next couple of weeks), and if I can actually get my annual leave changed at work, I may need to change the dates of my flights.  Never done that before... I assume there will be a cost associated?

Sponsored Links