Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Missing the American accent  (Read 1328 times)

• Liked: 0
Missing the American accent
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:40:03 PM »
Hello my dear fellow expats,

I will try to keep my (our) introduction short :). Though it's a movie worth one...

I am Konny and I signed up on "behalf of" my American husband. I am from Germany and moved to the UK 8 years ago. Now I can also count myself as British citizen (thank you, Brexit).

My husband moved a year ago from the US to finally join me. We had a busy last year with lots happening but I could tell that he is missing the US a lot, especially the accents. Maybe I should tell you more about my husband :):

His name is Rene and he's originally from LA but lived in Arizona, New York City and Colorado. And now London, after meeting me (poor thing) :). He loves football & soccer, golfing, movies, going out, making cocktails (and having cocktail parties), board games and much more. I like most of the things he does (except for the American football and golfing ;).

Rene sometimes need a kick in the b***. So that's why I decided to join this forum now and put him out his "misery" of only being around my (mostly) German friends :).

Thus, I' love to hear from you, guys! It would be great to meet up for a drink, a coffee, a board game or something else. We live in the North-West of London (South Hampstead).

I should also mention that we have a dog, Lulu. So all dog owners are especially welcome as Lulu is always looking for a playing partner ;).

Looking forward to receiving some messages from you :).

Best regards,
Konny

PS: somehow I am too stupid to change my profile / cover image or to add one here...

• Liked: 424
Re: Missing the American accent
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:12:37 PM »
Hello my dear fellow expats,

I will try to keep my (our) introduction short :). Though it's a movie worth one...

I am Konny and I signed up on "behalf of" my American husband. I am from Germany and moved to the UK 8 years ago. Now I can also count myself as British citizen (thank you, Brexit).

My husband moved a year ago from the US to finally join me. We had a busy last year with lots happening but I could tell that he is missing the US a lot, especially the accents. Maybe I should tell you more about my husband :):

His name is Rene and he's originally from LA but lived in Arizona, New York City and Colorado. And now London, after meeting me (poor thing) :). He loves football & soccer, golfing, movies, going out, making cocktails (and having cocktail parties), board games and much more. I like most of the things he does (except for the American football and golfing ;).

Rene sometimes need a kick in the b***. So that's why I decided to join this forum now and put him out his "misery" of only being around my (mostly) German friends :).

Thus, I' love to hear from you, guys! It would be great to meet up for a drink, a coffee, a board game or something else. We live in the North-West of London (South Hampstead).

I should also mention that we have a dog, Lulu. So all dog owners are especially welcome as Lulu is always looking for a playing partner ;).

Looking forward to receiving some messages from you :).

Best regards,
Konny

PS: somehow I am too stupid to change my profile / cover image or to add one here...
If you ever get north to Inverness Scotland, let me know.....we would love to meet up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Re the accent: I admittedly watch a lot of US TV because it sounds normal to me, vs British TV that can get tiring if I'm not understanding the accent!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum! You should encourage your partner to join as well!

Unfortunately not in London (we're in Berkshire area) so admittedly not the closest - but not the furthest either :) We love playing board games as well but can't help RE the accent sadly as I am told I sound like I'm from Bristol/West Country more often now than not lol.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »
Thank you for all the warm welcomes :).

x0Kiss0fDeath - I used to live in Berkshire. It isn't too far out and it's always nice to get away from London (even if we hide in the North-West).

What area do you live in? Being curious now ;)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
Thank you for all the warm welcomes :).

x0Kiss0fDeath - I used to live in Berkshire. It isn't too far out and it's always nice to get away from London (even if we hide in the North-West).

What area do you live in? Being curious now ;)

We live in Crowthorne :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 85
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
There always seem to be loads of Americans in West Hampstead. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting one these days. I think The Alliance up on Mill Lane even has a board games night, since that's your bag. You'll surely be able to seek out his people!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab