Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Paris is burning.  (Read 8106 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Paris is burning.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »
What I find interesting is that the French seem to be protesting the fact that wages are low and taxes are high by demanding that the rich pay their share of taxes. 

In the UK, wages have been flat for 10 years and prices have gone up, but somehow the people have been convinced that   the real problem is foreigners.  The reason the police don't come  when your house is burgled is because the Tories have slashed the budget, not because of your Polish neighbours.   Meanwhile, we ignore the fact that Amazon is destroying the high street while not paying any taxes.

The French aren't rioting because they want to quit the EU, they are rioting because they want to live in a fair society.

From a lady on the barricades:

“Macron’s first move in office was to slash the wealth tax for the mega-rich while cutting money from poor people’s housing benefits,”
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 342
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
That is a lie.

35% of labour voted leave.
61% of Tories.

The key is age. Old tories caused this.

In the UK, people tend to be floating voters based on what policies the two main parties. From what I have read on here, it seems to be different in your country with perhaps a hatred of those from the other party? Some of the older generation in the UK can be fixed in their ways and always vote for the same party.

Your figures are made up. The Labour strongholds voted for Brexit. The older generation voting for Brexit thing, was put about by the remainers after the Brexit vote. when in fact the well off older generation would have voted to remain. Think about it, how does uncontrolled migration of low skilled workers affect the well off older generation?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
I know WAY too many people in real life who voted Leave.

Including my well off elderly inlaws.   ;)

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
From a lady on the barricades:

“Macron’s first move in office was to slash the wealth tax for the mega-rich while cutting money from poor people’s housing benefits,”

Why do you think he and other governments do that? It is to attract wealthy foreign nationals who will spend their wealth in that country
and put into the economy. Even on a low rate of taxes, they will be paying a significant percentage of the annul tax receipts to that county. These will not take from the country: they will pay privately for their healthcare and for schools for their children and they will not ask for benefits. Why do you think the rich can buy themselves into any country?

Even in Scotland we saw this when the SNP were bringing in the first of their tax rises, they didn't raise taxes for the 1% of high earners as Scotland cannot afford to lose these. They will have to if they want to end that 15 billion a year and rising finanacil black hole, or cut services,  but as they have alreaded noted, they risk losing these taxpaying workers.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:30:45 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
Your figures are made up. The Labour strongholds voted for Brexit. The older generation voting for Brexit thing, was put about by the remainers after the Brexit vote. when in fact the well off older generation would have voted to remain. Think about it, how does uncontrolled migration of low skilled workers affect the well off older generation?

Not my figures. All the polls.

You are forgetting bigotry and fear in your analysis. Potent in a certain generation.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 11:25:42 AM »
Not my figures. All the polls.

Polls are not facts. If we have learned anything over the last few years, it's that the polls are wrong.

Some people will want to believe a poll because that poll suits their own agenda.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:06:52 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
Why do you think he and other governments do that? It is to attract wealthy foreign nationals who will spend their wealth in that country
and put into the economy. Even on a low rate of taxes, they will be paying a significant percentage of the annul tax receipts to that county. These will not take from the country: they will pay privately for their healthcare and for schools for their children and they will not ask for benefits. Why do you think the rich can buy themselves into any country?

Even in Scotland we saw this when the SNP were bringing in the first of their tax rises, they didn't raise taxes for the 1% of high earners as Scotland cannot afford to lose these.

Those are not my words but the words of an actual French person.

I would suggest, as you solve Germany's, France's and the US's problems, that you have a tendency to filter these things through English eyes. If you have an Empire you can dictate to others, but you don't anymore. 

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »
Polls are not facts.

They are closer to fact than polemics. Polemics are just ramblings really.

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:36:53 AM »
I would suggest, as you solve Germany's, France's and the US's problems, that you have a tendency to filter these things through English eyes. If you have an Empire you can dictate to others, but you don't anymore. 

I have given you quotes from foreign leaders and the facts, not polls that can suit any agenda.  That poll you gave does not make sense, for the reasons I gave.

Do you know that Germany and France had empires too? As did other countries?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:41:41 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 11:40:49 AM »
Do you know that Germany and France had empires too? As did other countries?

They seem to cling less tightly to past achievement than others

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
They seem to cling less tightly to past achievement than others

Thart's your view, not facts.

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
Totally ignoring the fact that the vast majority of benefits go to the elderly.

The UK state pension is contribution based only, but are in the welfare figures. Worrking age low income benefits are the highest figures, which is why parents will now have to work under the Welfare Reforns and they will not get more on benefits anymore than they do from working: too many were choosing benefits as lifestyle choice.

The benefit money these parents get for themselves is very little, it's the money they get for each child, that is meant to be spent on the child, that made their benfits high. Sadly no checks are made tro see that this money is spent on their children. Under the Welfare Reforms laws, these parents willnow  have  do as jobseekers are already required to do for their benefits and will be better off working.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:14:46 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
The UK state pension is contribution based only, but are in the welfare figures. Worrking age low income benefits are the highest figures, which is why parents will now have to work under the Welfare Reforns and they will not get more on benefits anymore than they do from working: too many were choosing benefits as lifestyle choice.

Hey you don't get to remove figures from the total just because they don't support your worldview. The fact is that the vast majority of welfare expenditure goes to the elderly.

Listen, Downton Abbey is a work of fiction. Perhaps a slice-of-life idealised representation of what may have existed a while back.

It is not a prescription. Be wistful, if it helps, but it is a fiction.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
Moreover, if you consider healthcare and long-term social costs associated with older people, you will find again that the picture of a teen mum breaking the bank is erroneous at best.

But of course you and I both know kicking the poor is not a happy accident, but right wing rhetoric. Fear, Hatred and bigotry.

Bring it on, I can go all night.

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
Moreover, if you consider healthcare and long-term social costs associated with older people,

Many of whom have paid their workng taxes to the UK for 50 plus years and kept the NHS going.

Why do you think the UK recently changed the EU's S1 to only those that have a UK state pension and then made the UK state pensions contribution based only now? And now say that just being a British citizen does not mean the UK will pay for their healthcare?

you will find again that the picture of a teen mum breaking the bank is erroneous at best.

It's not the single teen mums that are the problem. It's the two parent families who continually ask for low income benefits to keep their children even though many of these parents are age 40 plus and able bodied!

The present welfare system means that workers in their 20s who are working and not claiming benefits and don't have any savings; young parents who are working and keeping their own children and not asking for benefits, are having to pay for the teenage children of these 40 plus able bodied parents: some of whom have savings/capitlal too. It's all this benefit abuse that is ending.It will still be thee as a safety net for thsoe in need for the short time, but benefits as a life style chose is ending.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:50:57 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab