Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ingredient / substitution search - time sensitive  (Read 3320 times)

• Liked: 674
Ingredient / substitution search - time sensitive
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
So, the Daughter tells me this morning on her way out the door that she needs Karo light syrup and grated coconut to make a White Mountain cake (a very traditional Southern presentation cake, from a book of pre-war recipes). She needs the cake by Tuesday for a special event. (Oy.)

Ok, according to their website, Morrisons has grated coconut. Hopefully when I schlep all the way out there they will have it in the store - perhaps I'll phone first to be sure. Nobody has Karo. (Other than Amazon, which won't get here in time and is obscenely expensive.)  I'm going to try Lupe Pintos, as I think I've seen it in there before, but does anyone know of another place to try in Glasgow? (Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Sainsburys all "no".) 

If Lupe Pintos doesn't have it, not sure what she could use. I've read online that "Light Golden Syrup" available here is somewhat similar. Does anyone have any experience with that? is it close to Karo?

[Edit - I found another recipe for a cake of the same name that is post-war, and only uses the Karo in the icing - and very little of it, at that. Posting it here in case you ever need an impressive presentation cake. Still hunting the Karo, though!]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:39:36 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
Re: Ingredient / substitution search - time sensitive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
Nigella says to buy karo online, golden syrup is thicker so not good and will affect flavor if you're using a lot of it. :( (I've found her substitute recommendations very helpful)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 02:18:03 PM »
I can only find it online too. But this store popped up in the search which is a change from the usual suspects, for future reference.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/collections/view-all-ingredients/filter-cuisine-usa

Lims Glasgow, has a physical store and stocks Korean corn syrup, which looks similar.  https://limsglasgow.com/condiments/75-daesang-korean-corn-syrup-700g.html
63 Cambridge Street Glasgow G3 6QX

Phone: 0141 332 9399
Email: contact@limsglasgow.com

Monday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Tuesday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Wednesday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Thursday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Friday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Saturday:   10:30AM - 7:00PM

Sunday:   12PM - 7:00PM

https://limsglasgow.com/content/4-about-us

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:23:27 PM »
The golden syrup I used back when I needed it is much runnier than corn syrup. It will work but you will not have the same thickness and it will not set up as nicely as it does with Karo. I was rather disappointed with the golden syrup to be honest.

And no,I haven't seen Karo anywhere but online, at least not the light one, which you will need.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
Nigella says to buy karo online, golden syrup is thicker so not good and will affect flavor if you're using a lot of it. :( (I've found her substitute recommendations very helpful)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks. Unfortunately that won't work for Tuesday.  But at least I know to not sub it! I found grated dessicated coconut at Sully's African Grocery Store on Great Western. (Lotta cool stuff I've never seen before in there! And they have white cornmeal.) Which is good, as I schlepped all the way out to Morrisons in Anniesland and they didn't have any grated coconut. (I tried to phone ahead of time, but nobody answered.) Hopefully the Daughter can figure out how to use dessicated instead of shredded. (It's just dried, right?)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:30:51 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
I can only find it online too. But this store popped up in the search which is a change from the usual suspects, for future reference.

Lims Glasgow, has a physical store and stocks Korean corn syrup, which looks similar.  https://limsglasgow.com/condiments/75-daesang-korean-corn-syrup-700g.html

Thanks, Larabee! It's even on my bus route! I need to pop over tomorrow to look. Am also in search of a jellyroll pan - we can't find the one we thought we brought from the States, and one of the other cakes she wants to make is  a jellyroll.

I actually found Karo down at Lupe Pintos, so I'm good for it for now. But I do need to check out that syrup at Lims, for sure!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:51:22 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »
The golden syrup I used back when I needed it is much runnier than corn syrup. It will work but you will not have the same thickness and it will not set up as nicely as it does with Karo. I was rather disappointed with the golden syrup to be honest.

And no,I haven't seen Karo anywhere but online, at least not the light one, which you will need.

Good to know. It only needs a tablespoon, but since it's in the icing it's probably going to be critical for the "set".

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »
Glad you found it!

I wish we had somewhere to get it here, there are a few recipes that need it but I can't find it.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 02:53:34 PM »

Oh, and watch out for the Sous Chef one. It is not pure corn syrup, but has vanilla added! (Which is handy if you need vanilla in your Karo! it's the traditional formulation for Karo.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:05:32 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
Glad you found it!

I wish we had somewhere to get it here, there are a few recipes that need it but I can't find it.

They've still got seven bottles of light, and they also have dark Kayro at Lupe Pintos. I'm going to be passing that way tomorrow - do you want me to get some and send it to you? They're price-gouging (6 pounds a bottle) but at least it's there.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 02:57:49 PM »
That's still
They've still got seven bottles of light, and they also have dark Kayro at Lupe Pintos. I'm going to be passing that way tomorrow - do you want me to get some and send it to you? They're price-gouging (6 pounds a bottle) but at least it's there.
Wow, that's WAY cheaper than Amazon. If it wouldn't be too much trouble? What's the best way for me to pay you back?

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
That's stillWow, that's WAY cheaper than Amazon. If it wouldn't be too much trouble? What's the best way for me to pay you back?

If you have checks, I can take a check. Or I think the Daughter has a paypal account - let me ask her when she gets home later tonight. It's no trouble at all - the bus goes right down that street and I'll just hop off and then back on again with it. Do you want the regular light, or the dark Karo? (They also have Vlassic Kosher Dill Spears, but the postage would kill ya.) Oh, and I was thinking of the pickles, they are 6 quid. The Karo is 4.80.  They also have a lot of different Herdez in there right now, too.  :)  HERDEZ® Salsa Casera, Salsa Ranchera, Salsa Taquera. They are in cans, and I think they were 1.40 each. And RoTel.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:15:23 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »

If you have checks, I can take a check. Or I think the Daughter has a paypal account - let me ask her when she gets home later tonight. It's no trouble at all - the bus goes right down that street and I'll just hop off and then back on again with it. Do you want the regular light, or the dark Karo? (They also have Vlassic Kosher Dill Spears, but the postage would kill ya.) Oh, and I was thinking of the pickles, they are 6 quid. The Karo is 4.80.  They also have a lot of different Herdez in there right now, too.  :)

No checks sadly, not since I moved here. But would be happy to send a card and the amount and postage that way or a little something in a package to you? PayPal works too.

Light Karo would be great, but doesn't matter as long as it's the clear stuff. I use a few tablespoons in the chocolate ganache for Boston cream cupcakes. I'd love to make them again since the last time was so disappointing...

Haha. £6 for pickles ,that is hilarious. As much as I crave them, I will survive. Haha.

And thank you soon much!!

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »

No checks sadly, not since I moved here. But would be happy to send a card and the amount and postage that way or a little something in a package to you? PayPal works too.

Light Karo would be great, but doesn't matter as long as it's the clear stuff. I use a few tablespoons in the chocolate ganache for Boston cream cupcakes. I'd love to make them again since the last time was so disappointing...

Haha. £6 for pickles ,that is hilarious. As much as I crave them, I will survive. Haha.

And thank you soon much!!

No problem. I'll pick you up some tomorrow afternoon and we can sort the rest out later. PM me your address. Second class mail should be cheap and I had a bunch of stuff shipped over from the States so I'm hip-deep in bubblewrap. Probably won't get to the PO until Tuesday, though, as I have one final driving lesson Monday in the middle of the day.

And, embarassingly, I paid 6.00 for a bottle of the pickles. Sometimes ya just got ta have pickles, and it has to be THOSE pickles.  [smiley=blush.gif] [smiley=blush.gif]

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »
Lims looks awesome! I worked for a long time in Chinatown in my US city, I miss the Chinese market a lot! Enjoy your visit!  :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab