Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ingredient / substitution search - time sensitive  (Read 3325 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Ingredient / substitution search - time sensitive
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »
Very cool to know, thank you Nan! I too love cornbread, and have corrupted my Scottish wife as well! Not so easy to find corn meal here these days. Found it a few years back at Tesco, but their “American “ section keeps shrinking. And the retailers wonder why they lose business to online shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I need to get on a trivia game show, I'd make a zillion bucks!

Yeah, but thank goodness for online!  The Tesco up on Maryhill in Glasgow has some American food, but mostly not anything one would want. Mostly like sweets, sodas, popcorn, some cereals.  There is a grocery store out in Anniesland that had some American stuff, but not much. They also have some small sections of other ethnic foods, too. But their idea of "Mexican" is taco sauces and mixes, and flour tortillas. Lupe Pintos has some Mexican stuff - it's not a huge selection, but they've got more than anywhere else I've seen here. I have been in a few of the other ethnic grocery stores here in Glasgow in the last week or two and am amazed at the variety of food one can find in there! I can't even identify what some of it is!  8)  I have to get back down to the Polish one in Partick, they have Krackerzy crackers which are pretty darned close to saltines. Or a cross between saltines and Ritz. And appropriately salty!  I am assuming that there's not a lot of those kinds of stores in Inverness?

• Liked: 424
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
We have so little up here for choice. Mexican here is Old El Paso from Tesco! Ummm no.....just no.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
I am feeling the lack of Mexican/Latin American foods. I have a great recipe for making my own sazon seasoning, empanada dough and the like. Feel free to ask for them if you want them.
Spouse Visa Approved: May 2016
Arrived in UK: June 2016

• Liked: 424
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
I am feeling the lack of Mexican/Latin American foods. I have a great recipe for making my own sazon seasoning, empanada dough and the like. Feel free to ask for them if you want them.
Oh yes! By all means send them! I love recipes and have quite a few myself. I’d be happy to share! Sadly, very few are Mexican....mostly American, Chinese, Italian.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
I think the thing that gets me is how expensive restaurant/takeout food is in general here for what you get. Smaller portions, lower quality in general, and costs more for nearly everything. But if you make most things from scratch its cheaper than in the US to grocery shop.

All recipes are appreciated anytime people want to share! Maybe that should be it's own thread? :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
Well, I never mind sharing and swapping recipes. I have a webpage I use to keep all my recipes, I'll share it here, as it contains some of the ones I mentioned. Feel free to browse and use the lot of them as you will.

http://www.recipefy.com/jaxieangel
Spouse Visa Approved: May 2016
Arrived in UK: June 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab