Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Non Sequitur  (Read 608 times)

• Liked: 674
Non Sequitur
« on: December 09, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
Ok, so when I was a kid I did marching band for like 7 years.

Mostly the military precision type, like this band -

I only WISH we had ever done anything like this  -

Someone is a genius. And that drum major's not doing badly, either!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Non Sequitur
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
That's AMAZING! What a spectacle!  :D

@phatbeetle , you've got to see this!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »

That's great.  I liked the dinosaur, but couldn't figure out that wierd symbol before.  Was it something Harry Potter?

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
That's great.  I liked the dinosaur, but couldn't figure out that wierd symbol before.  Was it something Harry Potter?

Harry Potter riding his broom and catching the golden snitch.  ;D

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:09:48 AM »
That was a great video. Thank you for sharing that Nan :)

Proud Mother Moment:

I love marching band because I was in it back in 1984-1988 and in Texas, marching band is life.

All three of my children are musicians but in this particular year, my youngest child, my girl, is a senior this year and marching band in this part of Texas is indeed hard-core.

She is a far better musician than I could ever hope to be. I'm in awe of her discipline, her stamina and her love of music. Her small school district made it to Texas State Finals this year and I'm so pleased that out of over 250, 6A bands (over 200 members), they came in 30th. It's a big deal to us. My heart could burst with pride.

This isn't the best performance of theirs but for 14-18 year olds, they did pretty good. They performed at 1pm for preliminary competition and then again at this performance at 10:30pm. It's was a long day and they weren't as fantastic as they were at 1pm but this performance was good.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 06:29:22 AM »
And every year millions(?) learn the great universal language of reading music!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
And every year millions(?) learn the great universal language of reading music!

it's just a shame that music and arts programmes always seem to be the first to be cut in favour of sports!

Very cool video! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
Band (not necessarily marching band, tho) and Honors English Lit were the only things that kept me from dropping out of high school. I was bored absolutely sh#$less in my other classes.

There also wasn't a lot to do in my little town. You were either in the band, did sports, or were a Jesusfreak. OR you spent your time getting drunk. So it kept me out of trouble, as well. I wanted to go to college and continue on in music. I had a scholarship lined up at one school. But my father thought it was a waste of time.

So. I went to work in a laundry instead.  I don't think I've forgiven my parents for that yet. Or for throwing away all the letters and literature that must have come in the  mail after my ACT & SAT scores were in. I had friends with much lower scores who were getting offers from all over the place. I got home for the day a couple of hours after the mailman came, and I never had a single thing from a college or uni. (I later learned from my sister that Mom had been tossing them "so I didn't get ideas". )Sigh.  I do wonder how life might have turned out... but it hasn't turned out all that badly, anyway. And thank goodness for the band programs, or it sure might have!

Sponsored Links