Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Christmas Food  (Read 3523 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Christmas Food
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:00:41 AM »
Doing Christmas at mine with the in-laws over.  (FIL seems excited, hahaha, maybe because he's the guest here and can eat and eat and eat and not have his hand slapped)

Though, having the in-laws, I have to be very British Traditional.  The farthest I can stray is to have a goose.  So I have ordered a free-range goose and turkey breasts (have to have turkey, sigh) , chipolatas and bacon from the butcher to pick up on the 23rd.  Will have all the usual side things.  Like all my veg roasted in said goose fat.  Will pick sprouts from the allotment if I can (pretty sure I've got some purple ones ready).  I like to roast my sprouts as well.

I'm going to attempt to make a Black Forrest Trifle (dairy free) for pudding. 

Because we ate all our traditional food at Thanksgiving in my family, Christmas was all kinds of everything food.  We spent Christmas Eve at various friend's houses with themed fancy dress parties galore (amazing food!!!) and spent Christmas Day over the years with my Dad's family, which was potluck and therefore, full of random things.   My sister is having Christmas this year and I know my Mom will be bringing a prime rib and her scalloped potatoes, which are to die for. 

I'm going to the Panto and a gastro pub with friends on the 24th, which should be a hoot. 

Want to get some Chinese pancakes to make crispy goose pancakes on Boxing Day. 

I want to make a traditional French Canadian meat pie at some point really soon as I have never had one, but my Facebook fills up with pictures of them at this time of year and they look yummy. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 325
Re: Christmas Food
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
I'm doing a turkey crown, mashed potatoes, gravy, sprouts with bacon and orange, baked brie with cranberry sauce, leek and blue cheese tartlets.

Haven't made up my mind about dessert.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »
That sounds yummy Katoo!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 325
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
Yours does, too.  I've not gotten as adventurous as a goose.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »
The best Christmas meal we ever had was last year! We got loads of frozen starters from M&S/Sainsbury's/Tesco/Waitrose (literally mixed and matched all the best stuff and filled our fridge/freezer with it for myself, my husband, and my SIL. She stayed at our house and we just sat in comfy clothes watching Big Fat Quiz and other Christmas stuff and drinking/playing games and when we were hungry, we'd just pick a country we had left and made the food from that area. We properly ate our way around the world. We hate the food for lunch and dinner, just slowly grazing when we felt like we wanted food. It was excellent but not your standard Christmas food.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:46:53 PM »
I'm nicking over to Waitrose in a bit and getting an oak smoked ham. Which we will have with baked potatoes and carrots-in-butter.
I do wish they had proper baking potatoes here, though. I miss 'em.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
The best Christmas meal we ever had was last year! We got loads of frozen starters from M&S/Sainsbury's/Tesco/Waitrose (literally mixed and matched all the best stuff and filled our fridge/freezer with it for myself, my husband, and my SIL. She stayed at our house and we just sat in comfy clothes watching Big Fat Quiz and other Christmas stuff and drinking/playing games and when we were hungry, we'd just pick a country we had left and made the food from that area. We properly ate our way around the world. We hate the food for lunch and dinner, just slowly grazing when we felt like we wanted food. It was excellent but not your standard Christmas food.

This is what we're doing for New Year's!  Only, we'll be making a lot of it ourselves, rather than buying the frozen stuff, because we don't have an oven to pop stuff in for 15-20 minutes.  Copycat Chick-fil-A nuggets, eggrolls, copycat totino's pizza rolls, etc.

For Christmas, if the weather allows, we'll be doing a roast turkey crown with roast potatoes, carrots, and sprouts in the pizza oven, and sauteed green beans on the hob.  If the weather doesn't cooperate, we'll just postpone Christmas dinner.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
This is what we're doing for New Year's!  Only, we'll be making a lot of it ourselves, rather than buying the frozen stuff, because we don't have an oven to pop stuff in for 15-20 minutes.  Copycat Chick-fil-A nuggets, eggrolls, copycat totino's pizza rolls, etc.

I could've made stuff, I was just far too lazy hahaha It was the first time we'd ever truly had no real plans and it was great! haha I think the most I made was some 5 layer dip/buffalo chicken dip. That was about it and it was because I could prep it in advance.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
I could've made stuff, I was just far too lazy hahaha It was the first time we'd ever truly had no real plans and it was great! haha I think the most I made was some 5 layer dip/buffalo chicken dip. That was about it and it was because I could prep it in advance.

If we had an oven, we wouldn't be making stuff!  I'd happily buy ready-made frozen treats and pop them in an oven for New Year's.  Happily!  Except the eggrolls.  I have to make those because it's not possible to get them here.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 03:40:08 PM »
If we had an oven, we wouldn't be making stuff!  I'd happily buy ready-made frozen treats and pop them in an oven for New Year's.  Happily!  Except the eggrolls.  I have to make those because it's not possible to get them here.

If I were home this year, you'd be more than welcome to come and use my oven in exchange for home-made eggrolls lol
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:28 PM »
Doing Christmas at mine with the in-laws over.  (FIL seems excited, hahaha, maybe because he's the guest here and can eat and eat and eat and not have his hand slapped)

Though, having the in-laws, I have to be very British Traditional.  The farthest I can stray is to have a goose.  So I have ordered a free-range goose and turkey breasts (have to have turkey, sigh) , chipolatas and bacon from the butcher to pick up on the 23rd.  Will have all the usual side things.  Like all my veg roasted in said goose fat.  Will pick sprouts from the allotment if I can (pretty sure I've got some purple ones ready).  I like to roast my sprouts as well.

I'm going to attempt to make a Black Forrest Trifle (dairy free) for pudding. 

Because we ate all our traditional food at Thanksgiving in my family, Christmas was all kinds of everything food.  We spent Christmas Eve at various friend's houses with themed fancy dress parties galore (amazing food!!!) and spent Christmas Day over the years with my Dad's family, which was potluck and therefore, full of random things.   My sister is having Christmas this year and I know my Mom will be bringing a prime rib and her scalloped potatoes, which are to die for. 

I'm going to the Panto and a gastro pub with friends on the 24th, which should be a hoot. 

Want to get some Chinese pancakes to make crispy goose pancakes on Boxing Day. 

I want to make a traditional French Canadian meat pie at some point really soon as I have never had one, but my Facebook fills up with pictures of them at this time of year and they look yummy.
Maybe you will get something special in the post just for you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
If I were home this year, you'd be more than welcome to come and use my oven in exchange for home-made eggrolls lol

hehehe  Thanks, KoD!  If the travel time even halfway made sense...  :)

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
hehehe  Thanks, KoD!  If the travel time even halfway made sense...  :)

Bit early to tell you , but I'll be spending bank hols at the end of May in Wales I believe (going to the spice girls show in Cardiff on the Monday - KF is going to go as well hahaha). Perhaps we could meetup for a drink while I'm there!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 56
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
Really thankful we got Swedish Christmas out of the way already (2-4-1 on the family with his and mine at a proper julbord by a castle and a lake and everything two weeks ago) so Im free of the herring/ham/meatball shackles this year. We love to cook and since its just us (+ the cats) we go a bit more elaborate and enjoy cooking together on the day while playing records bought throughout the year. This year its:

Christmas Eve - Kedgeree with salmon - based on a recipe from a workmate. Easy and one pan. Probably some green beans with it

Christmas Morning - scrambled eggs and bacon, mimosas, fruit, and I'm baking the cranberry-orange breakfast buns from Smitten Kitchen (you do a second rise in the fridge overnight and just throw them in the oven in the morning)

Other Half will whip up a crock pot of glogg for the day

We were intending to get out and maybe get some boris bikes and toodle around town in between breakfast and dinner. We traditionally do presents at night in my family.

Cocktail Hour - lots of gin and mixed drinks, probably herring for him, mix of snackie type things. I just got an interesting cheese today from Borough Market, and am intending to make some copycat Rainforest crackers and a clementine jalapeno cheeseboard jelly from Cafe Sucre Farine (making these for gifts too)

Dinner - Beef Wellington, a crisp holiday salad of some sort, another veg (carmelized brussel sprouts maybe), and garlic mashed potatoes. Probably krispbrod and butter on the side, along with red wine and cold Swedish snaps shots.

Dessert - I picked up some German pfeffernusse today and we will have that with clementines, nice chocolates - neither of us likes christmas pudding or fruitcake . Open presents and then the traditional watching of Die Hard commences.

I've been spacing out the buying the last few weeks so will just have to pick up the vegetables and the slab of beef for the Wellington on Christmas Eve. The minimum Ocado order is insane and having to pay for a slot as pretty extortionate!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »
Glogg???

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab