Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British wife diagnosed with Cancer  (Read 8424 times)

• Liked: 957
Re: British wife diagnosed with Cancer
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:50 PM »
Maybe you deal with this everyday...?  As a newcomer with no other correspondence, after paying $1500 and getting nothing more than a date stamp on my passport, I naturally thought it was December 1st, 2014. Honestly, life goes on and when you're busy trying to make a buck (er.. quid) I did not think about it until mid-summer 2014 ... well ahead of what I thought was my renewal date. By then, as you have pointed out ... well past the actual English date. But obviously no one else has had this problem so I take it on myself as being dumb.
I can guarantee you're not the only person who has had this problem. And that's neither here or there, it's in the past and you have so much else on your plate right now. I hope your MP comes through with ILR eligibility so you can have one less thing to worry about. I continue to keep your wife in my thoughts and I hope they are managing her pain well, and this next treatment brings improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:44 PM »
But obviously no one else has had this problem so I take it on myself as being dumb.

Not dumb at all. To this day, if I am required to write the date, I'll put it in long hand (12th Jan/January 2019).  I am of the firm opinion that visa dates should be in that format for precisely this reason.
They do it for passports to avoid confusion, why not for visas?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 05:49:25 PM »
Not dumb at all. To this day, if I am required to write the date, I'll put it in long hand (12th Jan/January 2019).  I am of the firm opinion that visa dates should be in that format for precisely this reason.
They do it for passports to avoid confusion, why not for visas?

Yes, I loathe dates written in numerical format. I always prefer 12 January 2019, it makes it so easy to know the date, wherever you are in the world!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• live long and prosper
    • Umpteen Graphics and Web Design
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 08:18:34 PM »
Hello again, a quick update ...

On Friday last our oncologist told us the bad news, any further treatment is likely to fail and cause more discomfort, agony. So, we're facing facts and trying to cope with this as best we can. Today my wife had some radiotherapy on her back to hopefully alleviate some extreme pain in her back and leg shes had since Jan 1 ... we've had a rough few weeks so far this year.

I must apologize to you experts here, I've been confusing citizenship with ILR. It all seems so daunting at this point. One day at a time.

thanks again for your help ...
Cheers!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
{{hugs}}

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:00 PM »
Hello again, a quick update ...

On Friday last our oncologist told us the bad news, any further treatment is likely to fail and cause more discomfort, agony. So, we're facing facts and trying to cope with this as best we can. Today my wife had some radiotherapy on her back to hopefully alleviate some extreme pain in her back and leg shes had since Jan 1 ... we've had a rough few weeks so far this year.

I must apologize to you experts here, I've been confusing citizenship with ILR. It all seems so daunting at this point. One day at a time.

thanks again for your help ...

I'm very sorry.

Try not to worry about all that now and certainly there is absolutely no need to apologise. Just concentrate on your wife. We're here if you need us. x

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:49 AM »
Huge hugs
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »
Sorry to read this.

Please contact McMillan as they wiil know what benefits your wife can claim for herself and your daughter.  The UK doesn't really have benefits for adults, but as she has a chiid in lower education and they are age under 20, and because your wife is at the stage she is, your wife can claim some benefits to help with the costs for herself and with the costs of your child. Because of the stage your wife is at, under the benefit changes, these will now be fast tracked and have different rules for claiming: McMillan staff will know how to do that as they deal with this all the time.
https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
From that link, you can see that they also have an online community where you can all get support from others going through this.

Just remember that McMillan are not immigration experts and they might advise you to apply for benefits that you must not take/add youself to your wife's claim. These are two links to the benefits that you must not take from the UK until you have been granted ILR.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds--2/public-funds

AND
the guidance for UKVI staff on what UK benefits foreign nationals should not have been taking.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-funds

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:32:40 PM by Sirius »

• live long and prosper
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:08 AM »
Hello all ...

well, you were right ... our MP came up empty-handed. The Home Office told them - to advise us - to get legal help. There is no exception, no sympathy, no premium service offered anymore either from what a lawyer told us. After hearing about the people involved with Wind Rush I'm inclined to believe it.

on a brighter note, we were surprised to hear our Oncologist suggest Immunotherapy after all, at a consultation this past Monday. He cautioned there was a slim chance but we were happy to grasp at it. Since my wife is in her 50s and was healing well from the hip surgery and radiotherapy, he decided to offer it or chemotherapy (which we weren't so keen on). My wife went through terrible pain in January, she couldn't face that aspect again. I am cautiously optimistic...

thanks again all ... good tip from Sirius = I'll check into it re: my daughter
Cheers!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »
Lighting a candle and remembering your family in our prayers.

Let us know how it's going.

• live long and prosper
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Thanks for your kind thoughts = Georgie took a turn for the worse over the weekend. Saturday, she was having trouble swallowing and was choking a few times. By Monday she was too weak to get up and out to do immunotherapy (which had been offered 2 weeks ago). So, reading between the lines, we've missed the window of opportunity I'm afraid. We've had long debates about the possible side-effects outweighing any benefit at this point... She has been suffering greatly these past 2 months. It's sad to see her so frightened and debilitated. I don't want to let her go, but I don't want her to suffer any more.
Cheers!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
This is heartbreaking.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 248
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
Keeping you and your family in our prayers. x

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »
I am so, so sorry.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »
I'm so sorry you are having to make such difficult decisions. Keeping you all in my thoughts. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links