Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Arrrgh - Tesco and Beef!  (Read 4029 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Arrrgh - Tesco and Beef!
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »
This is why I prefer going to the shops. But, I have limited mobility some days and physically can't lift the bags... So if I didn't have my husband to do the lifting it would be grocery delivery for me. :) especially when it's cold!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I prefer to see my food too, but when I'm really busy and my husband isn't up for going (which is often since his Crohn's has been flaring up) I do a delivery because I work 40 hours a week and don't want to spend an hour in the shops by myself getting groceries.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 11:04:10 AM »
These posts highlight a good few reasons here for NOT ordering groceries on-line.

What's sad is it is possible to run an online grocery store without all the substitution and quality problems that plague the online operations of the grocery stores here. When we lived in New York we ordered groceries from Fresh Direct, and I don't ever remember having a major problem with them. You'd never get anything with an imminent expiration date, and the quality of the fruits and vegetables was the equal of what I'd have picked if I'd gone to do it myself.

With Tesco (I haven't had experience with the others) it always seemed like they were trying to get rid of stuff that was going to go off soon or was of borderline quality, as though they're trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

So for canned/dry stuff it's fine, but for meat/fruit/vegetables/etc I've got to see it in person.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
These posts highlight a good few reasons here for NOT ordering groceries on-line.

Personal preference - I like to see the meat, fresh vegetables and fruit that I am buying. If it works for you, then go for it, but my on-line grocery shopping will remain limited to Libbys canned pumpkin from Amazon.

Yeah, I buy my veg at the shop down the road. Tesco is usually safe for a brisket - there's not a lot they can do to screw one up (as they buy it from an outside supplier, who probably supplies the shop down the road). Except for sending something other than.  I hand-pick my veg from the shelf, so I'm sure I'm getting non-damaged, non-sprouting.  Other than that, for all the canned and dry goods, and household supplies, Tesco has been great. And a good value for the money.  If they have a good sale on canned goods (Baxter's soup, for example) I will buy a couple of dozen cans at a time and stash them back. There's no way I could carry all that back from the shops, so it works out well to have them delivered. I think they charge me like 3 pounds something per month for as many mid-week deliveries as I want.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 11:12:17 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »

With Tesco (I haven't had experience with the others) it always seemed like they were trying to get rid of stuff that was going to go off soon or was of borderline quality, as though they're trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Right? When I'm in the store, I see the pickers working and they always just grab the first item they see. Whereas I'm the one lifting the boxes of produce to get the very best date I can on my lettuce!

• Liked: 73
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 08:32:21 PM »
I've given up on online delivery too after last Christmas when I only did it online  so I could get a Turkey. When the guy came, he said 'There's just one substitute' to which I replied 'I hope it's not the Turkey! 'But it was! They sent a turkey crown. So this year we have done all our Christmas food shopping in the stores.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
I've given up on online delivery too after last Christmas when I only did it online  so I could get a Turkey. When the guy came, he said 'There's just one substitute' to which I replied 'I hope it's not the Turkey! 'But it was! They sent a turkey crown. So this year we have done all our Christmas food shopping in the stores.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
We only want a Turkey crown, and if they aren't ordering enough and holding them for the people who actually order them (after pushing setting up your Christmas delivery as early as possible... I'm going to complain. I'm going to complain a lot. I will even be British and send them a letter. If you tell me something is only available 20-23 and that I should order a delivery I expect to get what I ordered. Or the listing should say they are first come first served or only have so many available... Otherwise that's crap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
Online shopping + kids = LIFE SAVER!!!!!!

I have NO idea where things actually are in stores.   :D

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »
We only want a Turkey crown, and if they aren't ordering enough and holding them for the people who actually order them (after pushing setting up your Christmas delivery as early as possible... I'm going to complain. I'm going to complain a lot. I will even be British and send them a letter. If you tell me something is only available 20-23 and that I should order a delivery I expect to get what I ordered. Or the listing should say they are first come first served or only have so many available... Otherwise that's crap.

Yeah, that bit is annoying. Booking the delivery for Christmas the first week of Dec to 'get a slot' and then them not reserving the actual items ordered!

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 03:11:27 PM »
Yeah, that bit is annoying. Booking the delivery for Christmas the first week of Dec to 'get a slot' and then them not reserving the actual items ordered!
Sainsbury's did in fact deliver the exact turkey crown I ordered, it's hanging out in my fridge right now. So they did good. Sainsbury's usually does alright, but Tesco has a better substitution rule.

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
Yeah, I gave up on Sainsbury's though, after they just decided to not deliver my order, twice. No notice.  ::)

If Waitrose wasn't so pricey I'd shop more with them.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »
Yeah, I gave up on Sainsbury's though, after they just decided to not deliver my order, twice. No notice.  ::)

If Waitrose wasn't so pricey I'd shop more with them.
I think it greatly depends on the store you order from. I prefer Tesco but they don't have good Jazz Apples and I take them to work for lunch and Morrisons doesn't seem to have as large of a selection. 

• Liked: 56
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 06:11:06 AM »
We've been really happy with Ocado and their service - usually you get notified at point of purchase if there is a substitute/something is sold out and you can accept the change or reject. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing as to how they can be sold out of something like Coke at the holidays, but whatever, that is what the grocery store a quarter mile away is for. It works well if you are fairly organised - I did the bulk of non-perishable Christmas food shopping first of the month in order to not get hit with the minimum shopping requirements AND delivery charge unique to Christmas. Or, if worried about quality of fresh food, use online delivery for the non-perishables once a month or whatever - it saves having to lug it home from the store!

Meat, though, especially for special purpose I almost always buy at the butcher (exceptions: chicken breast and/or fish fillets which have always come through fresh on the Ocado) because I am either buying in bulk to freeze or I just plain flat out want to see what I am buying or request a special cut/weight. Plenty of decent butchers in London but man would it kill some of them to put last order dates ON the website? I'm sorry I didn't look at your Twitter for the last order date, which was yesterday.  ::)

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 10:39:24 AM »
Ah, yes. Twitter.

There is/was a yarn store here in Glasgow. They seem/ed obsessed with doing everything via social media. To the point of not bothering to post their hours on the door of the shop and then being closed randomly. We made two trips (changing buses and then hiking) down there, planning to spend a rediculous amount of money, only to find the shop closed. No sign on the door, during what would have been expected to be normal working hours, on two different days in two different weeks. Sooo, they've lost our business permanently now, as we can get online everything we could have gotten there. We like to support our local shops, but since they care so little about our business as to not bother to put a "back in 30 minutes" or even post the hours of business at the shop, they're not getting it.

I wish Ocado was in Scotland. We were told that was one of the perks of signing up with Vitality Health (our local health insurance). That and a shoe shop and a bicycle shop that were to offer us substantial discounts - they were the points that had us choose Vitality over a competitor. When we were hoping to place our first order we found out they don't have a business presence in Scotland, and do not deliver here. (The Shoe Shop and the Bicycle Shop apparently have no presence either.  :(  ) 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:42:18 AM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links