Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Medications  (Read 1197 times)

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
Medications
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
I've tried searching all over and can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. We are hoping to move back to the UK next year (after we get approved). We both have prescription medication that we take here. We want to make sure to bring enough over to cover any lapse of time between moving and setting up with a GP and getting the meds started over there. What are the rules for bringing in prescriptions? None of these are controlled substances either.

Thanks!
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

• Liked: 957
Re: Medications
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:03 PM »
You can bring a personal supply of medication. I brought 3 months worth including controlled substances prescribed in my name. I kept it in my carry on and with me at all times. I had some delays on pain management but the rest was transferred quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 12:52:02 PM »
The Daughter takes some meds that are not sold here either OTC or prescription in the exact formulation she had in the USA. She is limping along on what is available here. There are some other meds that we use that are OTC in the States but not in the UK.  We brought a year's supply of both when we came over, no problem. (Copy of the prescription in hand, just in case it was needed. Nobody asked.) Do keep anything you bring with you in your carry-on, so it doesn't get lost.

You pretty much cannot get anything that might have an antibiotic in it (like neosporin cream) or stronger than tylenol OTC here. It was kind of a shock to find that Naproxin is by prescription here. (Ace bandages are also non-existant, so if you use them you'll want to bring some.)

Since then we've ordered the OTC stuff and had it delivered to friends who were flying over, so we have another half-year's supply. We hope to be back to the States in February (if things work out) and will arrange to get another year's supply and bring it back with us (it has a decently long shelf-life). We will be making appointments with our dentist and doctor in the USA to take care of what needs doing (including getting prescription meds) and will be hopefully good for another year.

We fly in through either Glasgow or Edinburgh when landing in the UK, to avoid LHR and Gatwick. We have had nothing but "Welcome to Scotland" out of anyone when arriving. But, again, to be prepared, have a copy of the prescription for anything that might be a controlled substance. (I know you said they were not - but do check to make sure that they are not in the UK.)

• Magic is all around you, you just have to look....
    • Design site
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies. That definitely helps. We have a visit with our doctor early next year and plan to make sure he gives us a original copy of all prescriptions as well as making sure we can get a min of 3 months supply. Thankfully, there aren't any OTC i'm fussed by. I'll be happy to get back over and be able to get Nurofen Plus for my migraines again. Getting anything here in the states with Codeine in it is near impossible.
Even when life seems at it's most dark and despairing.. there is within the power to make change.

Priority Spouse Online App Submitted: 1 March 2019
Biometrics Appointment: 1 March 2019
Documents uploaded: 1 March 2019
Docs Sent to NY: 1 March 2019
Docs Received in NY: 4 March 2019
"Application Is Being Prepared for ECO" Email: 11 March 2019
Decision Made Email Received: 1 April 2019
Visa Received:2 April 2019 YES!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:10:49 PM »
If you don't have controlled meds, you may be able to get the full year if you don't use insurance. CVS told me to get a coupon from goodrx.com. I got a good deal on my meds using it and got a full year to take with me.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
The pharmacy at Walmart sold my daughter a full year's worth of non-controlled-substance medication before we left. She had to pay cash for it, and not use the insurance, which won't allow that.  I'd get as much as you can, in case you have trouble sourcing what you need here.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
The pharmacy at Walmart sold my daughter a full year's worth of non-controlled-substance medication before we left. She had to pay cash for it, and not use the insurance, which won't allow that.  I'd get as much as you can, in case you have trouble sourcing what you need here.

Just watch out for expiration dates. Some are not very long.

• Liked: 73
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »
What my husband found too when he arrived here with about three months of medications, his GP changed some of them almost immediately, which makes sense as the new GP was now 'responsible' for my husband's health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

Sponsored Links