Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh goodness, BOA  (Read 1148 times)

• Liked: 674
Oh goodness, BOA
« on: December 29, 2018, 11:19:39 AM »
Ok. I know someone who is over here temporarily who has BoA accounts in the States. He got a text message in early November that it was possible their debit card was compromised with a vendor (not specified) so a new card was being sent to them. Fast forward - last week they realized their card had not arrived, so they went online to check the mailing address, as they were not sure if it was going to their parents' house or their address over here.

Turns out they never put a new address on the account, so it was sent neither place. However, on checking online the address that was on the account, he saw that a completely unrelated, unknown address in New England had been put on the account. There were no weird debits/charges to savings/checking/credit card, but that unknown address was associated with them all.

He phoned BoA's fraud dept and in a lengthly conversation got the addresses sorted out, and was told that someone at the bank had manually changed the address two days before the text message he received about the potential merchant compromise of his card.  As he'd never been to New England, knows nobody in New England, and had not called BoA to get that changed, he found it upsetting - to say the least. BofA is "investigating" how it happened. There was a note on the account that the card had been sent to the new address, but that the resident there had phoned BofA to report that a card for someone they did not know had been sent to them and so the card was deactivated.  Which is good. A new one is on the way to him over here now.

But that change of address/notice of incorrect address from that person in New England happened in October, and BofA didn't phone or text my friend to let them know something was amiss.  My inclination is to tell him to put a fraud alert on his credit, because that is just really pretty weird. It sounds like someone trying to take over their credit, to me. He did check and there was no change to the name on the account, and the statements were still set to non-paper. BofA was unable to tell him why the address was changed, only that it had been done by BofA. That's pretty disturbing, to me.

Whenever I have changed my address or anything related to my account changes (I also use BofA) I get an email message letting me know it's been change. He swears he heard nothing, other than that one text message telling him that his card would be deactivated in late November, and to watch for the new one.

Anyone run into that before? 

• Liked: 718
Re: Oh goodness, BOA
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
Not heard of changing an address with a bank without them notifying you afterwards that an address change had been made and to call them if it wasn't you that made the change.

I would be putting a fraud alert on the account and putting a freeze on credit reports through credit agencies in the USA.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. He has only used the card three places, one of which was the site "Etsy". (The other two are pretty trustworthy.) I will reiterate the "freeze it" advice to him the next time our paths cross.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. He has only used the card three places, one of which was the site "Etsy". (The other two are pretty trustworthy.) I will reiterate the "freeze it" advice to him the next time our paths cross.
I don't think Etsy would have been compromised in a way that his details could be seen by the merchant, you never know though. I use PayPal on sites like that. But it's also super weird that the address was changed without him receiving a notice, my bank always sends a letter to the old address notifying of the change as well as an email. I'd definitely freeze credit!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
I don't think Etsy would have been compromised in a way that his details could be seen by the merchant, you never know though. I use PayPal on sites like that. But it's also super weird that the address was changed without him receiving a notice, my bank always sends a letter to the old address notifying of the change as well as an email. I'd definitely freeze credit!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, well, he doesn't live at his old address and didn't bother to update his address with the bank when he moved overseas, so it never got to him even if they did send it to that address. (This is pretty mind-boggling to me, as I check my bank accounts at least weekly to make sure nothing is running amok and am obsessive about making sure contact info on them is correct.) I kind of assumed they'd have phoned or texted? They did send the one text message about replacing the card. Weird.

On the good side, it's reminded me to do my annual free credit report monitoring, and to be sure that everything is tidy. ::)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:08:20 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links