Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello! Ohioan trying to move to Brighton England  (Read 1370 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello! Ohioan trying to move to Brighton England
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »
Hello!

My name is Thomas and I’m an American whose partner lives in Brighton, England where I’m attempting to move. I spent the months from May to November 2018 on a visitor status visa in Brighton just getting the lay of the land and trying to find job opportunities that would allow me to stay in Brighton for an extended time.

I’ve been dating my partner for the past two and a half years and we’re not quite ready for marriage but our relationship has become very serious and intertwined since living together this summer. I had been accepted to a university in Brighton to receive a graduate degree and I was told that I could start in January of 2019. Due to some miscommunication between myself and the University, I’m not able to start school until September 2019. That has put a serious strain on our relationship as we don’t have a clear path forward on being together in the short term.

I’ve been looking into Unmarried Partner status visas and applying to jobs in the technology sector (which is what I do in America). If anyone has any ideas, recommendations, or… just support I’d really appreciate it.

I really miss my partner and I’m trying everything in my power to get back to her.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

• Liked: 6111
Re: Hello! Ohioan trying to move to Brighton England
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
Hi Thomas, welcome!

Congratulations on your place at University, that's fantastic! Once you've lived together in the UK for 24 continuous months, you'll be able to apply for an unmarried partner visa at that point, assuming you meet the financial requirements.

I'd just plan a couple of visits each between then and now.  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
September 2019 isn't too far away in the grand scheme of things, you likely won't find a job faster than that. Patience is a virtue when it comes to transatlantic relationships! You could possibly visit for a couple more months before the course starts?

Unfortunately you wouldn't qualify for the unmarried partner visa. They require you to live together for 2 years prior to applying for the visa, and visiting doesn't count toward that time.

For a work visa, you could apply for jobs on the shortage occupation list if you qualify for them. General tier 2 visas are incredibly difficult to get and limited in numbers.  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 06:58:44 PM »
Unfortunately governments really want the marriage on paper before visas come into play. 

It is easier to sponsor her going to the USA if you guys decide to bite the bullet and marry.  But again, you would need to marry.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! This really helps!

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:01:45 PM »
Hi I’m from Ohio too from Toledo where are you from and I live five miles outside of Eastbourne did u get a chance to visit Eastbourne yet it’s nice I should. Best of luck take care
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:30:40 PM »
Hello!

My name is Thomas and I’m an American whose partner lives in Brighton, England where I’m attempting to move. I spent the months from May to November 2018 on a visitor status visa in Brighton just getting the lay of the land and trying to find job opportunities that would allow me to stay in Brighton for an extended time.

I’ve been dating my partner for the past two and a half years and we’re not quite ready for marriage but our relationship has become very serious and intertwined since living together this summer. I had been accepted to a university in Brighton to receive a graduate degree and I was told that I could start in January of 2019. Due to some miscommunication between myself and the University, I’m not able to start school until September 2019. That has put a serious strain on our relationship as we don’t have a clear path forward on being together in the short term.

I’ve been looking into Unmarried Partner status visas and applying to jobs in the technology sector (which is what I do in America). If anyone has any ideas, recommendations, or… just support I’d really appreciate it.

I really miss my partner and I’m trying everything in my power to get back to her.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas
Welcome  :) to the best site and people on the web.. It's a wonderful place to relax  ::) and await fate..
Best of luck to you and your partner..  we all understand how sad and lonely it can be away from the one we love
Hope it all works out for the best  :)
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »
Hi I’m from Ohio too from Toledo where are you from and I live five miles outside of Eastbourne did u get a chance to visit Eastbourne yet it’s nice I should. Best of luck take care

Yes we did! We took the train from Brighton and walked from Eastborne to the lighthouse and back. It was incredible! As you guys know the summer in the south had amazing weather. That hike was exhausting!

• Liked: 26
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 01:36:18 AM »
Hello!

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Hi Thomas - I am in a very similar situation (minus the University part), and after looking deep into the unmarried partner visa and even speaking to two UK attorneys, we realized that path wouldn't work out because the 2-year living together requirement is so rigid. We ended up getting married, as we were already engaged - just didn't necessarily *want* to get married before living in the same country! But there doesn't seem to be an option to live together before marriage when you fall in love internationally these days. Now we are working through my visa process.

Are there any American companies with offices in the UK that you would be qualified for? That is one avenue I started to explore, but I believe there are still some waiting periods involved.

Best of luck to you!
Applied from: Florida, US
Priority: Yes
Online application submitted: Jan 25 2019
Biometrics & docs mailed: Jan 29 2019
Documents received in NY: Jan 30, 2019
Documents received by Sheffield on: Mar 4, 2019
Case Escalated: Mar 20, 2019
Case Escalated again: Mar 27, 2019
Decision Made Email: Apr 3, 2019
Received Passport: Apr 4, 2019
YES!

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Hi Thomas - I am in a very similar situation (minus the University part), and after looking deep into the unmarried partner visa and even speaking to two UK attorneys, we realized that path wouldn't work out because the 2-year living together requirement is so rigid. We ended up getting married, as we were already engaged - just didn't necessarily *want* to get married before living in the same country! But there doesn't seem to be an option to live together before marriage when you fall in love internationally these days. Now we are working through my visa process.

Are there any American companies with offices in the UK that you would be qualified for? That is one avenue I started to explore, but I believe there are still some waiting periods involved.

Best of luck to you!

Hey! Thank you so much for sharing! I have started talking with US companies who have offices in the UK (London, specifically) and I'm starting to make some traction. My background is in medical healthcare technologies and there seems to be a lot of opportunities to travel to the UK but it's still very difficult to find someone to sponsor me for a tier 2 UK work visa. I've got interviews with companies to do some contractual work with them where I would be able to travel back and forth between the states and the UK but we're weighing the pros and the cons as a couple.

As of right now I'm interviewing at companies in the US with the hopes of saving money and relocating for grad school in September.

I really appreciate everyone who has replied in this thread with suggestions. At the very least it keeps me hopeful! Good luck to you, AMM1987!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab