Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Denny's Glasgow - Don't do it to yourself  (Read 9057 times)

• Liked: 676
Denny's Glasgow - Don't do it to yourself
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:21:39 PM »
Ok. Three buses to get there, no sweat.  Short hike at the end of the bus ride, no problem.  Got there to find many (two dozen?) people waiting. Half the tables in the place were empty and not in use. Of the tables in the section in use, three were unoccupied.

Got to the head of the line to give my name for the wait. Was told it would be an hour. (??!! ok). They wanted my cell number and would buzz me when a table was ready. Didn't have a phone with me, which confused the heck out of them. They said they'd call my name when the table was available. Was then advised to enter my car license plate number on a screen there at the desk, as only patrons were allowed to park in the lot. Told them I didn't have a car. More confused looks. Told them I came by bus. Daughter says that they looked completely bewildered when she told them we'd be sitting in the waiting area until a table was ready. On the good side, they had "cartoons" running on the tv in the waiting area, of the "Grand Slam" characters doing a crime show, where the sausage was the tough cop who caught the pancake snorting powdered sugar and hauled them off to jail.... ::)

Ok. Waited with the Daughter for an hour. Watched the goings on. Several parties came, sat down to wait, and then said, basically, the hell with it and went off to Braehead to get something to eat. Watched, during the hour, several tables sit un-bussed for ten minutes at a time. Waiting area was packed and some folks were waiting outside, others had given their cell phones and gone ... elsewhere?    So, fifty minutes into the wait they came and called three sets of names. Nobody by that name waiting.  Ten minutes later they came and the the same - same three names. Nobody there by those names. I went and asked how long the wait still was, since it'd been the hour we were told to expect. Was told seven parties were in front of us - I could see on the list that three of them were the names already called twice.  I did mention that, and was told "well, we've texted them and now we need to give them time to come back in".  I asked if 20 minutes wasn't long enough and got a blank stare. Gave up and went and sat back down.

Ok, shortly thereafter someone came and called for someone by my first name. I suspect that it was actually the first name of someone on the list ahead of us, but they didn't specify, so we took the table.

We had plenty of time, in the hour and 10 minute wait, to look over the menu. We knew exactly what we were going to order and didn't have to wait long because we told the gent who seated us that we knew precisely what we wanted. Had a little back-and-forth about "oh, where in the USA?" etc. The waitress who showed up to take the order was very nice. Young and inexperienced, but trying very hard. Asked the Daughter if she wanted a salad with her Lumberjack Slam.... So I ordered the Starter breakfast. Which in the USA is on the "Senior" menu. Basically one egg, one slice bacon or sausage, red-skinned new potatoes fried, and an English muffin.

It took 45 minutes for our food to arrive. During that time we watched the goings on. A dad with two kids had his meal brought to him and the kids' meals didn't arrive for another 10 minutes. (Bowls of spaghetti and sauce.) Two plates of what appeared to be pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream sat up under the heat lamp at the kitchen for over 20 minutes, with other items up there for longer.  People who ordered milkshakes, which are supposed to come with some shake still in the mixing tin (per standard practice and the actual menu) got the glass of milkshake, but were shorted the amount in the mixing tins. Several tables had individuals who got their food while others in their party had to wait 10 to 20 minutes for theirs.  The waiters could be seen arguing over at the kitchen as to who had what food items, etc., and seemed bewildered and out of their depth - completely.  It was, as they say in the trade, a complete cluster-f__k.

So, back to us.  Sitting at the table, starving. Looked over at the salt shaker. Had goo and pepper flakes inside and outside of it. Unidentifiable goo. Lifted it by two fingers, caught a passing waitress, and asked if she could bring one that was not completely disgusting. She was horrified, scurried off, brought a new one, wringing hands and saying the manky one was "being cleaned right now" was that ok? (oy. Like I care what they are doing with it? I'd have recommended a hazmat bucket, myself, but I was being nice.)

Ok. So, forty minutes later, the lumberjack slam shows up. Was ordered with all bacon and no sausage. Came with sausage. Told the server, who took it back, tossed out (we assume? hope?) the sausage, and brought the plate back. Short the two strips of bacon. Told him it was still not correct, that it was short two bacon. He brought my order at the same time - minus the English muffin. Daughter pointed that out to him and he said he'd take care of it. Showed back up with two strips of bacon,  just barely cooked. Never came back with the muffin.

So. The lumberjack slam: minimal hash browns (maybe 1/4 of the expected amount) on the plate, appeared and tasted as if they had been sitting for quite some time. Bacon tasted good, but was not crisped - just barely cooked. Ham was fine. Eggwhites were completely flavorless, and a little chewy. Pancakes tasted much like Denny's "new" pancakes from the States that came in about two years ago, kinda sweet with a vanilla flavor. With some sort of (what the Daughter calls) "nasty-ass fake butter stuff" on them. 

Ok, so my meal, the Starter:  Eggs were... bleah? Instant? I'd say tastless except they did have a kind of weird, "off oil" taste. I had two bites and decided I'd not want to risk intestinal distress and left the rest.  Probably whatever they used on the griddle/pan was the only flavor they had. And they looked weird (Daughter agrees). May have been made ahead and sat for a long time, or reconstituted, couldnt' tell. But not good. Bacon tasted good, but was barely cooked. There was also a sausage on my plate. It looked really bad, but I gave it a taste. And instantly (and still now) regret that. Gaaak.  "Red-skinned fried potatoes" were some sort of potato, cut in small cubes, no spices on them, and definitely not "red skinned", althought they were definitely "fried" (possibly deep-fried?) with the same weird aftertaste. They were spectacularly bad. My English muffin never arrived. Basically, I could not eat anything on the plate except the bacon, and left it all. My gut is still rumbling, and not in a good way, several hours later.

So, I caught the waitress and asked for the check.  That was the ONLY thing that happened quickly in there - she was literally back with the machine within sixty seconds for me to pay. Not once did anyone ask me how the food was, did we need anything else, etc. (other than the waitress, bless her, asking if we needed more water to drink - she was trying quite hard).

It's been well over a month since the place opened. Every shop has opening pains. They should be nowhere this bad this far into things.  This Denny's, if it stays as it is, will fail. The locals will get disgusted with the long waits and the mediocre food, when the novelty wears off. And any self-respecting ex-pat who likes American food won't go more than once.  Seriously, it's been over a decade since I've had service that bad and food that bad in the same visit to a restaurant.

Also, normally you put one of your brightest waitresses to serve as hostess. Seriously, the girl taking names and handling seating struck me as being very sweet, but... well, really f'ing stupid. No apologies for the lenghty wait, etc.  They had nobody dedicated to clearing tables. So if the wait-staff for a table was busy with other things the tables sat uncleared while people looking more and more annoyed were waiting to be seated.  The wait-staff, and there didn't seem to be nearly as many working as were needed for a Friday lunchtime, spent an awful lot of time looking up at the orders screen in the kitchen.  Something is terribly, terribly wrong with their training - or the manager hired people who have never worked in a diner/food service industry. They spent a lot of time looking perplexed. Our own server, who managed to not bring things to the table correctly, seemed annoyed that we expected him to actually correct the errors he made. We were nice about it, not rude. But we did insist. As noted, he didn't fix everything.

Wow. So, seriously, spend your money elsewhere. The Glasgow Denny's is NOT a proper Denny's and is, if anything, damaging their brand. So, I say "don't do it to yourself, eat somewhere else." The Daughter says "run screaming...."    [smiley=puke.gif]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:42:02 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Denny's Glasgow - Don't do it to yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:33:16 PM »
That's such a shame.
I just looked at Trip Advisor. You're not the only ones who had a 1 star experience...

• Liked: 768
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
That's such a shame.
I just looked at Trip Advisor. You're not the only ones who had a 1 star experience...
Lol. I just did the same. 2 stars on Trip Advisor. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
Lol. I just did the same. 2 stars on Trip Advisor. 

They got someone to give them two? Very generous patron!  ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »
They got someone to give them two? Very generous patron!  ;)
That's the average. Some people gave them 4 and 5 stars.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
Gag! So disappointed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 09:43:29 PM »

Wow. So, seriously, spend your money elsewhere. The Glasgow Denny's is NOT a proper Denny's and is, if anything, damaging their brand. So, I say "don't do it to yourself, eat somewhere else." The Daughter says "run screaming...."    [smiley=puke.gif]
Wow, almost sounds like a Laurel and Hardy Hour Show  :o  Sorry, y'all had a bad experience, sucks when you're prepped for a good meal   :)
I am still in the states and here in Amarillo, Denny's doesn't seem to be as busy as in year's past but ohhh did I love them when I was little... Best turkey sandwich ever.. It's a shame to hear of the poor service, wow, thank's for the heads up so time and money won't be wasted there
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »
Five Stars? Were they in the same Universe as us?  Seriously, we used to eat at Denny's every Friday in the States. Sometimes several times a week. Went to Dennys all over the Southwest USA.  The only time we ran into anything as bad as this was a Denny's in Arizona when we were on a road trip in 2004. Horrible food, horrible service, but we demanded and got a refund.

Which I have just done - I've written to corporate (UK) and detailed the visit, and asked for a refund.

That was truly, spectacularly bad. The service was bad, and the food was... inedible, really.

Bummer, as they have banana splits on the menu.  :(

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »
Five Stars? Were they in the same Universe as us?  Seriously, we used to eat at Denny's every Friday in the States. Sometimes several times a week. Went to Dennys all over the Southwest USA.  The only time we ran into anything as bad as this was a Denny's in Arizona when we were on a road trip in 2004. Horrible food, horrible service, but we demanded and got a refund.

Which I have just done - I've written to corporate (UK) and detailed the visit, and asked for a refund.

That was truly, spectacularly bad. The service was bad, and the food was... inedible, really.

Bummer, as they have banana splits on the menu.  :(
Maybe they got lucky. Most didnt have a pleasant experience.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 11:03:25 AM »
Luck of the draw, then. Too bad.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »

That's pretty much my experience with every "American" restaurant here.  None of them last more than a month or so.

Did I mention that there's now a Taco Bell in Hammersmith, just around the corner from my daughter's trapeze gym?  We stopped in the other day and had to eat quickly, so I just ordered three tacos.  Plenty edible.

The funniest bit was they had TWO massive draft beer taps on the counter next to where you ordered.  My daughter seemed to think that they were these newfangled taps where the beer fills from the bottom of the cup.  I was in a hurry so I didn't try it out.  The place was packed.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
The Daughter says it's because they can't get the kind of employees with the kind of "diner/food service" training that exists in the States. They don't know how to hustle (speed-wise), and would think it bizarre if you told them they need to do so. There is no "motivation to do well to get a better tip" involved, either. And she says it's harder to fire people once you hire them here, so if you hire someone mediocre you're pretty much stuck with them unless they like take a steak knife to a customer.

She's a bit more jaded than I am (which is going some), but she was 45 when she was born and has always been able to read "people" situations better than I can. She's out and mixing with the public more than I am. Maybe she's right? Dunno.... She also says that a lot of workers here that she's met can't "think on their feet." They have like a set expectation of duties and if anything varies they are not capable of improvising - they go look for a manager to tell them what to do. Maybe that's just an extension of the "you have to have specific training to do a specific job and the papers to prove it" to get a job mindset at the lower-skill employment levels?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:21:32 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
Your Denny's experience sounds like my Five Guys experience.  It was so bad it broke my heart, and my husband won't try again (not that I'm too keen to, either).  We just mostly eat at home.  Lots less disappointment that way.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 03:59:16 PM »
The Daughter says it's because they can't get the kind of employees with the kind of "diner/food service" training that exists in the States. They don't know how to hustle (speed-wise), and would think it bizarre if you told them they need to do so. There is no "motivation to do well to get a better tip" involved, either. And she says it's harder to fire people once you hire them here, so if you hire someone mediocre you're pretty much stuck with them unless they like take a steak knife to a customer.

She's a bit more jaded than I am (which is going some), but she was 45 when she was born and has always been able to read "people" situations better than I can. She's out and mixing with the public more than I am. Maybe she's right? Dunno.... She also says that a lot of workers here that she's met can't "think on their feet." They have like a set expectation of duties and if anything varies they are not capable of improvising - they go look for a manager to tell them what to do. Maybe that's just an extension of the "you have to have specific training to do a specific job and the papers to prove it" to get a job mindset at the lower-skill employment levels?

Not to be too hard on your daughter who can't speak up for herself, but I disagree with most of that.  It's very easy to fire anyone here for almost any reason.  There's a probationary period that lasts many months where no notice is required.  People don't start to build up severence pay until they've been working somewhere for years.  The most likely reason they are  having trouble finding and keeping good staff is that they are paying minimum wage and it sounds like hell to work there.

I've been in plenty of restaurants ( 5 guys and Starbucks to name two) where the employees were busting ass just like in America.  Of course most of these employees were foreigners, but that's a different argument.

I'd be more inclined to blame management, who have obviously created an atmosphere that only a person who couldn't find a job anywhere else would want to work in.  Anyone who does know how to hustle would hustle right out the door.  Anyone who can think on their feet quickly thinks "This sucks! Feet, get me outa here."

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »
On a different note, we just had a slap up meal at gourmet burger kitchen, just a few doors down from 5 guys.  GBK was way cheaper, even with milkshakes and the quality and quantity of the food was significantly higher.  The menu was far more varied as well.  Most importantly, GBK was happy to cook our burgers medium rare.  I don't know why crappy restaurants (including 5 guys)  refuse to cook burgers rare.  Some of them even  lie about it if you ask, citing some non-existant  'elf and safety law. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab