Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got me some tickets!  (Read 2452 times)

• Liked: 674
Got me some tickets!
« on: January 06, 2019, 12:19:58 PM »
Gave up. Booked on American (operated by British Airways).
Apparently I get two free checked bags, and a three and a half hour layover in LHR both ways, but otherwise direct into "home."

Now, of course, I have the confirmation from American, with their "record locator number" that won't pull anything up on British Airlines. When I try to pick my seats on the AA site, it bounces me to the BA site. Which asks for my booking number, which it then doesn't recognize.

Anyone have a clue how to access my info on BA?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:30:11 PM by Nan D. »

Re: Got me some tickets!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:01 AM »
Ok, cancelled me some tickets. The confirmation I got from American when I booked said 2 free checked if checked online bags.  I finally got into the BA site and they were like nope. So I checked with American and they said that shouldn't have appeared on my screen, nope (I have a printout). Then BA wanted like 50 pounds a seat to choose seats?  Cancelled.

Went with Aer Lingus. Both of us are flying to LAX for about 950 pounds total (several hundred cheaper than American/BA), one free checked bag each. I'd not wanted to use LHR, so now I'm not. We go to Dublin, spend three lovely hours we'll never get back again there in the departures hall, and pre-clear both border and customs for the USA there, and directly on to LAX. So when we hit the ground in Cali we just go pick up the rental car and skeedaddle down the freeway.  Got a great rate for the car through Europcar (all the insurances included), a really good rate at the Days' Inn down the coast, and have already sent word to the homeys that we are on the way next month.

Off to buy neosporin, fish meds, and shoes.... and as many plates of Bacon Cheddar Chipotle Fries as I can get my hands on.  ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 04:44:41 AM »
Yay!  :D

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:23 AM »
When do you go, Nan?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:44:54 AM »
Safe travels :) I'm envious!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
The BA record locator number is different from the AA one. I usually only see it when going from AA site to book seats. BA charges for seats until check in and then they're free.

But yay for booked flight with Aer Lingus  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »
The BA record locator number is different from the AA one. I usually only see it when going from AA site to book seats. BA charges for seats until check in and then they're free.

I don’t know if it depends on destination/ticket type, but I’ve flown with BA within Europe recently and they now charge you for choosing seats at check-in too. They wanted £11 per seat when I checked in for my flights a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
I don’t know if it depends on destination/ticket type, but I’ve flown with BA within Europe recently and they now charge you for choosing seats at check-in too. They wanted £11 per seat when I checked in for my flights a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I had to call AA to get the BA locator code to see the seats available, and they wanted anything from 11 per seat to 69 per seat (in Economy!) to select the seats. Otherwise it was to be free 24 hours prior to departure, but we couldn't be assured of being seated together that way, and I prefer an aisle seat to be able to stretch on the long-haul part of the trip. (I'm pretty tall, and my back raises a fuss about 6 hours into the flights if I can't stretch my legs.)

So, all is done, all is well. Aer Lingus let me book my seats before I paid for the flight! I've flown with them before, but it was years and years ago, so I am not quite sure what to expect. But so far I'm a happy camper. They used to code-share with American back then, so I've got my fingers crossed the air miles will transfer to my AA miles. They are kind of stacking up in there, and eventually will pay for a trip. :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
Aer Lingus is quite decent on a long haul flight and going through US immigration in Dublin is nice and quite straightforward. 
Have fun!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »
Thanks.  We're going back to tidy up some legal stuff, pick up a box of stuff the Daughter left with a friend, and to see a very ill friend. Plus making a supply run to buy shoes, meds, etc. And hopefully getting a trip into the Getty Villa.

Not sure how much room I'll have in the suitcase coming back - I'm going over with only a change of clothes in my carry-on, to leave room to bring "stuff". Will know a bit more later on, may be able to bring small items back for people as needed.... 8)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 03:39:21 PM »
[Aer Lingus] used to code-share with American back then, so I've got my fingers crossed the air miles will transfer to my AA miles. They are kind of stacking up in there, and eventually will pay for a trip. :)

This is in the Wikipedia entry for the airline, but I have not verified it at the source:

AerClub is Aer Lingus' Frequent Flyer Programme. It launched in November 2016, taking over from the airline's previous programme, Gold Circle. AerClub consists of four tiers: the entry-level Green, Silver, Platinum, and Concierge.[113] The club uses Avios points as its member currency.

Clicking on Avios in that bit brought me to an entry that included this:

Avios points are the frequent flyer currency of Aer Lingus, Air Italy, British Airways, Flybe, Iberia, and LEVEL,[66] and can also be used for travel within the Oneworld alliance.

Clicking on Oneworld brings me to this:

Oneworld... member airlines include American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, SriLankan Airlines, Japan Airlines, LATAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc (in 2020), Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines, plus some 30 affiliated airlines.

So, it looks good!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
Sounds like you are all set Nan, good luck.

Our daughter flew that route Christmas of 2017 LAX to Manchester Aer Lingus via Dublin. With us for Christmas then up to Edinburgh for New Year visiting cousins, then Edinburgh to Dublin to LAX. She was suitably impressed with Aer Lingus.

We are flying back from LAX in March on Norwegian Air direct to Gatwick, and I’ve just realized that we leave on Brexit Day, 29th March. I hope the UK is still open when we come into land on the 30th.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 06:40:48 PM »
Sounds like you are all set Nan, good luck.

Our daughter flew that route Christmas of 2017 LAX to Manchester Aer Lingus via Dublin. With us for Christmas then up to Edinburgh for New Year visiting cousins, then Edinburgh to Dublin to LAX. She was suitably impressed with Aer Lingus.

We are flying back from LAX in March on Norwegian Air direct to Gatwick, and I’ve just realized that we leave on Brexit Day, 29th March. I hope the UK is still open when we come into land on the 30th.

Oh gosh!  Good luck with that! Yoiks! [No more "EU" line at the airport for us!]

I think if Brexit messes travel up too much we'll just take the bus to Belfast, and then the train down to Dublin and continue flying out of Dublin. Will mean an extra day on both ends of our trips, but....

When I was looking at airfares, when I went out into April they all had skyrocketed. Could be because of the season, but they seemed a lot higher than they ought.  This is all going to be....~interesting~.

Have now also got appointments with our old dentist for proper cleanings and exams. Seriously, the NHS exams here are visual inspection only. With my mouth (previous dental history) I want to get a proper exam and cleaning. (Besides, my insurance covers it 100% there.  8)   )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:43:13 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »

Have now also got appointments with our old dentist for proper cleanings and exams. Seriously, the NHS exams here are visual inspection only. With my mouth (previous dental history) I want to get a proper exam and cleaning. (Besides, my insurance covers it 100% there.  8)   )

hehehe you sound just like my Wife, she says we are ******* here in UK for dentist treatment....

Sponsored Links