Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Got me some tickets!  (Read 2435 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Got me some tickets!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »

When I was looking at airfares, when I went out into April they all had skyrocketed. Could be because of the season, but they seemed a lot higher than they ought.  This is all going to be....~interesting~.

Kids are out of school in April.  It is 100% that.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
hehehe you sound just like my Wife, she says we are ******* here in UK for dentist treatment....

Time for the dreaded "Big Book of British Smiles"

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 672
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
hehehe you sound just like my Wife, she says we are ******* here in UK for dentist treatment....

Yeah. Well, before we left SoCal the dentist did a thorough exam (full xrays, etc.) as I wanted to get anything that absolutely needed to be done managed by him. And my private dental insurance, which he accepts. He noted a couple of spots that he wanted to "keep an eye on", as they could become worse quickly and there was one "iffy" really old filling. But he advised against doing anything right then, as they still had some more mileage that I could get out of 'em.

I've been here just about two years now, had three exams. Never was an x-ray mentioned. The exams were totally by visual exam. I've had quite a lot of work done in the past, so I'm kind of a bit leery of a 5 minute visual exam. And the "cleaning" was pretty minimal, too. I don't know if all NHS exams are like that, or if I've just managed to find a dentist who isn't quite up to par.  So I'll be having a proper, thorough cleaning as well by my old hygeinist, since that's covered as well by the private insurance. The only thing that won't be covered is the first $50 of work and 20% of anything above that.  I'm not planning on going back to SoCal again for several years after this trip, so I want to get as much taken care of by the people I've known and trusted for years... It's a seriously good dental office. :)

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:36 PM »

I've been here just about two years now, had three exams. Never was an x-ray mentioned. The exams were totally by visual exam. I've had quite a lot of work done in the past, so I'm kind of a bit leery of a 5 minute visual exam. And the "cleaning" was pretty minimal, too. I don't know if all NHS exams are like that, or if I've just managed to find a dentist who isn't quite up to par.  So I'll be having a proper, thorough cleaning as well by my old hygeinist, since that's covered as well by the private insurance. The only thing that won't be covered is the first $50 of work and 20% of anything above that.  I'm not planning on going back to SoCal again for several years after this trip, so I want to get as much taken care of by the people I've known and trusted for years... It's a seriously good dental office. :)

I don't know what the normal NHS dentist practice is, it probably varies by NHS Trust, but we go privately here and the dentist absolutely does do regular X-Rays. Our first appointment in 2016 he did a full set of X-Rays and brought them up on his laptop and talked me through them. When I go in March he has already said he would like to do another set as it will have been over 2 years. They cost £14 which is hardly going to break the bank for us, and we decided from the start not to do dental insurance just as we had no dental insurance in the USA after we retired as we have healthy teeth.

While the dentist's exam is just as thorough as our US dentist the hygienist clean is nowhere near as thorough.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
Kids are out of school in April.  It is 100% that.

This. We booked flights in April that coincide with English school holidays. Jacked the prices mental, as we're connecting in Heathrow even though we leave from a Scottish airport. Few days before, we would have been fine.  Had to go specific dates , so that was that. 

My NHS dentist does a full exam, not just visual, checks all teeth, gums, jawline, glands, and does Xrays every 6 months.  This is the 3rd NHS dentist I have had and they have all been the same.   I've had teeth cleaning right by the dentist too when needed and has been great. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:30:24 PM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »
This. We booked flights in April that coincide with English school holidays. Jacked the prices mental, as we're connecting in Heathrow even though we leave from a Scottish airport. Few days before, we would have been fine.  Had to go specific dates , so that was that. 

My NHS dentist does a full exam, not just visual, checks all teeth, gums, jawline, glands, and does Xrays every 6 months.  This is the 3rd NHS dentist I have had and they have all been the same.   I've had teeth cleaning right by the dentist too when needed and has been great.

Hmmmm. Sounds like I need to find another dentist.
Anyone have a recommendation for a good private dentist in Glasgow? (I'm willing to take the bus to Edinburgh.)

• Liked: 20
Got me some tickets!
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Nan, I went to the NHS office in the Maryhill Tesco building. They did full exam, x-rays and cleaning.for £15. The cleaning not being the best.

We then got insurance and go to David Cashel Dental
Dentist · 234 W George St.

He does an excellent cleaning and we like him very much.

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »
Nan, I went to the NHS office in the Maryhill Tesco building. They did full exam, x-rays and cleaning.for £15. The cleaning not being the best.

We then got insurance and go to David Cashel Dental
Dentist · 234 W George St.

He does an excellent cleaning and we like him very much.

Thanks, Barb!

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
I phoned that dentist, and they said they'd be happy to help with the insurance paperwork. So, although I'll be seeing my regular dentist in Calif in a few weeks, once I'm back I'll go see David.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
Ok. Question: I know you cannot bring "offensive" knives into the country. Should I assume that if I purchase a set of culinary knives in the USA and they are still in their plastic packaging that they could come over in checked luggage? (I really miss my good kitchen knives. We accidenly left a box beind that should have been packed with our shipped stuff. It is WAAAAY cheaper to replace them in the States than here.)

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
Ok. Question: I know you cannot bring "offensive" knives into the country. Should I assume that if I purchase a set of culinary knives in the USA and they are still in their plastic packaging that they could come over in checked luggage? (I really miss my good kitchen knives. We accidenly left a box beind that should have been packed with our shipped stuff. It is WAAAAY cheaper to replace them in the States than here.)

I would not think that would be a problem.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 10:02:49 PM »
If they're well packed in checked luggage and not a risk to the baggage handlers I'm sure it's fine. Your luggage will probably get a look through when they scan it, but I can't see it being a big issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
Yeah, I'll be sure it's right on the top so they can easily see it when they open it. (If they do.)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
You could be required to declare them and pay customs duty on them.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
You could be required to declare them and pay customs duty on them.

Hmmm. I think they still would be cheaper than trying to replace them here, even with customs duty. But I'm not getting THAT many knives. ;)

Allowance for other goods

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 (or up to £270 if you arrive by private plane or boat).  If a single item’s worth more than your allowance you pay any duty or tax on its full value, not just the value above the allowance.

You pay Customs Duty on anything you bring in above your allowance. The rate:

is 2.5% for goods worth up to £630
    depends on the type of goods if they’re worth more than £630 - check by calling the VAT, Customs and Excise Helpline

You may also have to pay import VAT.

Sponsored Links