Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Grape-flavored stuff!!!  (Read 7142 times)

• Liked: 674
Re: Grape-flavored stuff!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:30 AM »
My mom would put Kool-Aid in ice cube trays with toothpicks sticking out for homemade popsicles!! Ha ha!! But they were yummy!

I know, right?! The day I see grape jelly here I'll be giddy! LOL!

Oh, we used to wish! But we were not allowed to have Kool-Aid. Or things like Wonder Bread. (She was a serious health-food nut.)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 07:53:55 AM »
I wonder if it falls under the sugar tax since it's not full of wierd sweeteners?

Has anyone else noticed that after the sugar tax, every single drink is full of artificial sweeteners?  Most of the time they don't even put it on the label, only the ingredients. Makes everything taste horrible!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
I wonder if it falls under the sugar tax since it's not full of wierd sweeteners?

Has anyone else noticed that after the sugar tax, every single drink is full of artificial sweeteners?  Most of the time they don't even put it on the label, only the ingredients. Makes everything taste horrible!

To be honest, the majority of my liquid diet is coffee so I'm not sure I noticed. And when it's not coffee  it's almost always diet coke (which already was artificial sweeteners) or beer (or squash) so I think I've managed to come out okay with the whole sugar tax situation..
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »

The sugar tax made most drinks unsafe for me. :( I always read the label but my husband isnt so good. Because I've been on a liquid diet for so long I've been trying to find new things, completely unsuccessfully. Yuck.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »
The sugar tax made most drinks unsafe for me. :( I always read the label but my husband isnt so good. Because I've been on a liquid diet for so long I've been trying to find new things, completely unsuccessfully. Yuck.

Are you still on the liquid diet then? :(
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 216
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 11:53:55 AM »
Oh, we used to wish! But we were not allowed to have Kool-Aid. Or things like Wonder Bread. (She was a serious health-food nut.)

Now that I'm grown, I kind of wish my mom would have been more health-conscious with me growing up but at the same time, it was fun eating junk sometimes. LOL!

Good question. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners either. I'd rather drink plain water. Or if I want sugar then I have real sugar.

Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 12:28:24 PM »
Are you still on the liquid diet then? :(
Mostly yeah. :( I'm so tired all the time. Had a terrible reaction to meds this week (crippling depression and dizziness) and just keep having to try other ones. Still waiting to see the gastroenterologist, haven't even gotten an appointment date yet.

I don't understand why they put a sugar tax on whole fruit and vegetable products. I could understand things with "sugar" and its variants added but not real food. It's really frustrating when those fake sugars and flavors make you sick.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
Mostly yeah. :( I'm so tired all the time. Had a terrible reaction to meds this week (crippling depression and dizziness) and just keep having to try other ones. Still waiting to see the gastroenterologist, haven't even gotten an appointment date yet.

I don't understand why they put a sugar tax on whole fruit and vegetable products. I could understand things with "sugar" and its variants added but not real food. It's really frustrating when those fake sugars and flavors make you sick.

I'm sorry you're still dealing with this :( Hope you get some relief soon!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »

I have noticed.  But Coca Cola didn't change their classic formula (again... one time was enough for them   ;D ).  So, yay Coke!

9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
I have noticed.  But Coca Cola didn't change their classic formula (again... one time was enough for them   ;D ).  So, yay Coke!

Didn't they just make the bottles tiny to get around it?

There's some talk about creating a sugar tax for food as well.  I'll be very unhappy if all the food is loaded with sweeteners.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »

There's some talk about creating a sugar tax for food as well.  I'll be very unhappy if all the food is loaded with sweeteners.
I'll be lobbying against that if they do. There is SO MUCH evidence that fake sweeteners are as harmful as sugar when it comes to metabolic disorders. This tax was not only misguided it will cause lasting harm if sugar is just replaced with non calorie sweeteners across the board. Companies like coke did the smart thing and made their servings smaller (as they should be anyways... No one needs giant bottles of soda.) The public health crisis is not from sugar alone, its the entire food (pudding) culture here and won't change overnight!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »

The bottle sizes did reduce a little bit, and the prices went up a bit.  But I can generally find it for about £1/liter, and sometimes less than that.

While I freely admit I have a Coke problem (not to be confused with a coke problem), that's about the worst of my vices.  Most of my cooking is from scratch, with real ingredients.  So I don't get too much added salt or sugar in the rest of my diet.  Even so, I really resent the government taxing things as a way to discourage people from consuming them.  I would prefer a non-punitive approach, which really only hurts lower-income households.  It's almost like saying, "You're poor, so you don't deserve these treats," regardless of their overall health/fitness, or frequency of consumption.  Meanwhile, these taxes don't really discourage higher income people at all.  If wealthier people want to have the treat, they can choose to spend a bit more money on it if they have to.  It hardly seems like a fair way of going about it.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
As an aside, if anyone wants to make wine from that lovely grape juice, here you go:
https://blog.eckraus.com/can-i-use-grape-juice-from-the-grocery-store-to-make-wine

Just like in  prison!  Do you have to hide it in the toilet cistern while it ferments? 

• Liked: 674
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »

Yeah, I agree there. We have to check the labels on things, especially bottled drinks, because the Daughter has really bad reactions to Aspertame, Sucralose and Acesulfame.  They just mess with my intestinal flora, which is also not a nice thing. The sugar alcohols are ok, although there are some inconvenient and embarassing side-effects to those. So, I would think food with sugar added should be in the cross-hairs, not fruit and veg! That's just crazy. You want people to eat fruit and veg for the vitamins and minerals!

I remember that in California they had to put calorie counts for restaurant foods on the menus. After that it was up to personal responsibility to choose wisely (or pay the consequences). Limiting calories in sold, prepared food is ... well, if I am only eating one meal in a day and it's 1,500 calories, or if I've just run a marathon and want to have two plates of 1,500, it's not anyone's business save mine. If I did that regularly and blimped up too much, that would also be "on me" unless there was some sort of underlying medical condition causing it.  Even then, if I knew about the condition and neglected my nutrition, it's on me.

I guess in a country where the NHS has to treat everyone for free I could see an argument for some sort of logical campaign to try to avoid the collateral damage and the cost of treating that damage. I'm just not sure that the proposed restrictions are the way to go about it. I would prefer to think education would be appropriate. (Having sat through a "these are the potential side effects of diabetes" classes, with the slide show of gangrenous feet and other ghastly images, they kind of got my attention. ) Or I could see perhaps some sort of arrangment that ties payment of some of the costs of treatment to the persons who choose a lifestyle that results in that kind of damage, rather than laying it on everyone.

But how do you realistically do that?  You, cardiac-patient guy. You've got high cholesterol. You're not eating right. You have to pay a surcharge for your open-heart surgery. (?)  In my case, the very few times I've had higher cholesterol than normal I had been on an extremely healthy diet. When the medics chewed me out for eating poorly, I basically said "f' it" and went back to pizza, fries, and cheeseburgers. The next test showed normal levels, and I was congratulated on how much I had modified my lifestyle. That happened to me more than once. I finally blurted out that food had not a damned thing to do with it, as my levels were better when I was eating pizza and chips than salads and lean meats. The docs then kind of grudgingly admitted that other things could cause the levels to be up.  Like genetics, which you can't do diddly about. (In my case it was stress, I'm almost certain.) So, how could you fit that into a "one size fits all" consequences matrix? Not very well, I'd think. It's a complicated problem.

But I really don't think legislating what people "can" have for dinner is the right approach.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:50:45 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab