Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Family member buying you a house?  (Read 1271 times)

• Liked: 12
Family member buying you a house?
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
Suppose a family member in the UK helps us buy a house in the UK (and essentially becomes our landlord).

Other than the one-off "stamp duty" of over 8K (it would be their second home), are there any holes in this plan that we need to be wary of?  ::)

We would be paying the mortgage and all associated costs through them.

(Be honest, I'm used to none of my "ideas" working out.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:42:52 PM by morecoffee »
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 4985
Re: Family member buying you a house?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »
Warning:  I tend to think that money and family/friends don't mix well, so take my 2p with a grain of salt.

I would ensure YOU have a legal contract with the family member that YOU are allowed to make improvements, etc.  Also, how a sale will be treated.  I suspect you would want to get any equity that is earned in the home, but under the agreement you are proposing (being a tenant), you would not be entitled to that.

I would also be concerned that if you were audited at any point, it could look like you are trying to dodge taxes.  Remember the family member will need to pay tax on the income for the property, depending on their tax bracket, this could be 45% of your rent payment.

Also as the mortgage would be a Buy To Let mortgage (which is what you have when you are a landlord), you would not be paying off the balance due on the home.  These are interest only loans.  They have an entirely different qualifying calculation than a traditional mortgage.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »

Also as the mortgage would be a Buy To Let mortgage (which is what you have when you are a landlord), you would not be paying off the balance due on the home.  These are interest only loans. 

Not always... it's the borrower's choice.  :)
But the vast majority do choose I/O.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:23:44 PM »
Borrowing money (or permutations of the same) or loaning money to family or friends.... That can turn out very badly. I think I'd not do what you are proposing unless you had a lawyer involved who could make sure your interests were represented legally.  Otherwise I can see handing over a lot of rent and then being asked to leave, down the road, for any of a number of reasons. It would be an ugly scene.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »
I know KFD is a landlord also so not sure if she’s had this as well, but when we took out our BTL mortgage, it stipulated we could NOT rent to family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
Scrapped this idea back in January anyway.  ;)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »
Scrapped this idea back in January anyway.  ;)

Ahh you hadn't really said so thought I would just mention in case this was still a potential idea. Just didn't want to see you guys potentially screwing yourselves over without realising
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 11:05:33 PM »
Ahh you hadn't really said so thought I would just mention in case this was still a potential idea. Just didn't want to see you guys potentially screwing yourselves over without realising

Thanks, just very used to every "clever" idea I think up for moving back with the least amount of risk die on its ar$e  ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:18:43 PM by morecoffee »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 01:39:10 PM »
Suppose a family member in the UK helps us buy a house in the UK (and essentially becomes our landlord).

Other than the one-off "stamp duty" of over 8K (it would be their second home), are there any holes in this plan that we need to be wary of?

Just in case this idea is back on again.

They would have to comply with all the laws for landlords, including the gas safety check within every 12 months, ensuring your safety, repairs etc and pay taxes on their business.

They are liable for the mortgage repayments even if you can't pay it. What about when the interest rate rises to 10%, can you pay it? The historic average in the UK is about 7%/8% interest rate but has been as high as 15%.

If ever you needed benefits like Housing Benefit, renting from a relative can mean you might not get that benefit.

If ever they needed means tested benefits, they would not get them because they have  over 16k captial in the house they own that they don't live in.

If they are already claiming the benefit called Tax Credits, they would lose that benefit when they are moved onto the new replacement benefit called Universal Credit because of the new capital rule: capital in a property that they don't live in, in any country.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 02:08:40 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab