Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: New York > Norwich. Spouse Visa timeline.  (Read 4260 times)

• Liked: 10
New York > Norwich. Spouse Visa timeline.
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:00:23 PM »
Okay, after lots of delays and life throwing us curve balls we’re finally getting everything together to get our spousal visa application submitted in the very near future. So figured it’s about time to get our own thread in here where we can address the many queries and questions we have as we go along.

As our welcome wagon posts have probably long since dropped out of sight a quick recap.
I live in Norwich UK and my wife lives in upstate New York.
We met and got together in 2007 and have been doing the long distance thing ever since. Seeing each other for a couple of weeks roughly every 4 months. We got married in New York last March and are applying for the spousal visa with me sponsoring using the Category A criteria, so as these things go our application should (hopefully) be fairly straightforward. I.e we’re simply relying on my earnings from a single longstanding employer (NHS) and there are no kids involved.

Going through the online form and the printed out Appendix we do already have a list of queries regarding questions that seem a little ambiguous and questions about what to say in certain sections. I know that every question will have been asked and answered on here a thousand times so we’ll go through a bunch of other threads and see if we can find what we need there before we repeat everything for the thousand and first time.

Supporting info/evidence we have so far (let us know if there are any glaring omissions) -

Passport and previous passport
Passport photo
6 months of bank statements.
6 months of payslips.
(in September the NHS trust I work for phased out paper payslips and now everything is online so I’ve had to print the last few out myself, I’m hoping these will be okay with an accompanying letter from my manager guaranteeing their authenticity?)
Employment contract plus cover letter from my manager confirming my employment and how long I’ve worked there.
My last P60
Tenancy agreement plus cover letter from my landlord stating how long I’ve lived at the property and that it’s okay for my wife to move in.
Photos of me and my wife together (looking at other threads it seems that 2 are sufficient with one from the wedding?)
Wedding certificate.
Decree absolute divorce certificate from my previous marriage.
Boarding passes (how many of these do we need to include and does it matter which one of us they’re from?)
Screenshot of whatsApp call logs.
Screenshot of list of emails between us.

Anyway that’s about where we’re up to. I won’t ask too many questions at a time so as not to confuse things. We’re confused and anxious enough as it is, ha ha  ::) ;D
Priority Spousal visa for my wife.
Married March 2018
Online Application submitted Feb 11 2019
Biometrics appointment Feb 20
Full package sent Feb 22
Received at NY hub Feb 25
Email from Sheffield to say they'd received application Feb 27
Email from Sheffield to say decision made March 18
Decision  - Approved :) Passport with Visa received March 19

Re: New York > Norwich. Spouse Visa timeline.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »
In regards to this question in the travel and criminal history section -

Have you received any other penalty in relation to a criminal offence; for example a caution, reprimand, warning, or similar penalties in the UK or any other country?

We're a little confused and anxious as although my wife doesn't have any convictions she does have a couple of arrests in her past (one over 10 years ago, the other over 15 years ago). In both cases all charges were dropped. This doesn't seem to fit in exactly with this question as there was no penalty but seems prudent to mention it. Should this be put in the further information at the end of the application and if so how much detail would be required? We've done online background checks and nothing shows up and my wife only has some vague paperwork for one of these.

In several places on the application it asks if she will be travelling alone and if her spouse will be travelling with her. In an ideal world I know that if everything goes to plan and the application is successful she'd like me to then fly over to help her tie up things there and bring some stuff over with her. However, obviously not knowing when this will be it's impossible to know if I'd be able to get leave from work etc. Is it best to just select that she will be travelling alone for now?

In the Sponsors details section it asks when I "arrived in the UK"? Obviously being British I've always been here, ha ha. Do I just put my birthdate? It doesn't make it at all clear.

Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
In regards to this question in the travel and criminal history section -

We're a little confused and anxious as although my wife doesn't have any convictions she does have a couple of arrests in her past (one over 10 years ago, the other over 15 years ago). In both cases all charges were dropped. This doesn't seem to fit in exactly with this question as there was no penalty but seems prudent to mention it. Should this be put in the further information at the end of the application and if so how much detail would be required? We've done online background checks and nothing shows up and my wife only has some vague paperwork for one of these.

In several places on the application it asks if she will be travelling alone and if her spouse will be travelling with her. In an ideal world I know that if everything goes to plan and the application is successful she'd like me to then fly over to help her tie up things there and bring some stuff over with her. However, obviously not knowing when this will be it's impossible to know if I'd be able to get leave from work etc. Is it best to just select that she will be travelling alone for now?

In the Sponsors details section it asks when I "arrived in the UK"? Obviously being British I've always been here, ha ha. Do I just put my birthdate? It doesn't make it at all clear.

You definitely need to mention the arrests and should provide what paperwork you do have. I think the other penalty is as good a place as any to mention it and you can elaborate in the any other information section.

I'd put alone but it doesn't matter either way. Just note that if you don't travel with her, you need to be in the UK waiting for her but it sounds like one or other will be the case anyway.

Put from birth, or your birth date.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
Thanks Larrabee for quick answers :)

My wife did go and speak to a lawyer regards the arrests but he had no experience with UK immigration so wasn't a great deal of help although he did provide some info about who to contact regards getting something in writing regards the arrests and subsequent dropped charges. We're a bit worried about how long that all might take but we'll see. Thanks for guidance as to where to mention it.

Yes, if for whatever reason I'm unable to travel over to then accompany her back I will definitely be at the airport to welcome her ( as I have been for every visit over the past 11 years  ;) ) So, that's all good.
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »
A couple or 3 queries regards some questions on the Appendix 2 form -

Question 1.19 where it asks if we've ever lived together we ticked the box 'no', then it asks to give reasons why we've never lived together.
The answer seems obvious....obviously  ;) but just want to make sure...
Is "Due to currently having job/apartments in separate countries" correct or make sense? Or is putting the obvious answer of "because we live in different countries" correct or too obvious?? (my brain hurts)

Question 1.26
Do you, or your sponsor, have any physical or mental condition(s) which currently requires personal care or medical assistance at home, or have learning difficulties?

Does this just mean if you need some sort of carer coming into your home or does it cover things like simply being on any prescription medication for any common mental health issues such as depression or anxiety?

Question 3.22
If your sponsor has not been employed by the same employer for 6 months prior to the application does their total income (before tax) from salaried employment received in the 12 months prior to your application meet or exceed the financial requirement you must meet?

This doesn't apply as I've been with the same employer for 15 years however there's nowhere that says to skip this question and only has a yes or no answer and not a NA. In the guidance notes it just says to answer yes or no. Can I just leave it blank?
Apologies for asking such apparently stupid questions but like everyone I'm sure we don't want to leave anything to chance if we're unsure  ???
Ta.
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
A couple or 3 queries regards some questions on the Appendix 2 form -

Question 1.19 where it asks if we've ever lived together we ticked the box 'no', then it asks to give reasons why we've never lived together.
The answer seems obvious....obviously  ;) but just want to make sure...
Is "Due to currently having job/apartments in separate countries" correct or make sense? Or is putting the obvious answer of "because we live in different countries" correct or too obvious?? (my brain hurts)

Question 1.26
Does this just mean if you need some sort of carer coming into your home or does it cover things like simply being on any prescription medication for any common mental health issues such as depression or anxiety?

Question 3.22
This doesn't apply as I've been with the same employer for 15 years however there's nowhere that says to skip this question and only has a yes or no answer and not a NA. In the guidance notes it just says to answer yes or no. Can I just leave it blank?
Apologies for asking such apparently stupid questions but like everyone I'm sure we don't want to leave anything to chance if we're unsure  ???
Ta.

1-We live in different countries.

2-I read that to be care in the home by someone else ( or learning difficulties) But if you are in any doubt, it doesn't hurt to mention it.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:27:55 PM »
Thanks again Larrabee for the clarifications.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes when booking the biometrics interview/appointment how long the wait time normally is between booking and getting an appointment (this is for the New York office)??

Thanks.
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:21 PM »

Does anyone know how long it usually takes when booking the biometrics interview/appointment how long the wait time normally is between booking and getting an appointment (this is for the New York office)??

Thanks.

It shouldn't be more than a few days at most. It's not an interview in any way though. You just have your fingerprints and photo taken, very easy!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »

Thanks.

You’ll need to make sure that you book your biometrics at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) and NOT at the New York VFS Premium Centre.

There are 10 USCIS Biometrics locations in New York State (including 1 in Manhattan, 1 in Brooklyn and 1 in the Bronx, if you’re near/in NYC), so just make sure that you book your appointment at one of those offices.

You can see their locations here:
https://egov.uscis.gov/office-locator/#/ascresults/NY/New%20York

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:53:20 AM »
Quick question to back onto this:
The site says:
"Fingerprinting services are by appointment only and are related to an application for an immigration benefit.
You will be notified about an ASC appointment by mail. You should follow the instructions on the appointment notice to reschedule the appointment."

I'm unsure about this -- ??? How will they notify me by mail? I just assumed I finished the online application, had all the info ready to go, and then made the appointment, but it's saying that I need to get one through the mail (?)

Thanks for your help!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 06:11:10 AM »
Quick question to back onto this:
The site says:
"Fingerprinting services are by appointment only and are related to an application for an immigration benefit.
You will be notified about an ASC appointment by mail. You should follow the instructions on the appointment notice to reschedule the appointment."

I'm unsure about this -- ??? How will they notify me by mail? I just assumed I finished the online application, had all the info ready to go, and then made the appointment, but it's saying that I need to get one through the mail (?)

Thanks for your help!

No, that's only for US immigration applications.  USCIS are a US immigration department who are simply providing a separate biometrics service for UK visa applications on behalf of UKVI.

The only thing you need to be concerned with on that link is the address of the USCIS Office you use - I posted it for location information only. Nothing else applies to you.

For a UK visa application, the only way to book or reschedule the appointment is through the online application. When you submit the application, you book the appointment and print the appointment confirmation sheet. Then you take your passport and printed confirmation sheet to the appointment.

At the appointment, they will check your passport, stamp the appointment confirmation sheet, take your fingerprints and photo and send you home. Then you place your passport and stamped biometrics sheets in your package and mail it to New York within 5 days.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 03:28:28 PM »
Thanks so much!   :)

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Thanks all for responses  :)

Another quick question -

As the Sponsor I know we have to include a copy of the photo page from my UK passport. This needs to be certified/verified?
Can I just get this done at a post office? If so do I take my passport and a copy of the pages I've made for them to stamp(?) or do they copy the page themselves?
Married March 2018
Full package sent Feb 22

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »

Another quick question -

As the Sponsor I know we have to include a copy of the photo page from my UK passport. This needs to be certified/verified?
Can I just get this done at a post office? If so do I take my passport and a copy of the pages I've made for them to stamp(?) or do they copy the page themselves?

I haven't done it but I would take the page. If they prefer to copy it themselves, they will.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »

Another quick question -

I can't answer if it needs to be verified or not, but I got mine verified just in case. I didn't want to spend time asking if my bank would do it for free, so I just used this service at the post office: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/document-certification-service

It cost £10.50. I took in my passport, own copies, and the completed form (in the link). They certify up to 3 pages for the one fee, and stamp it with their branch stamp.
Courthouse Ceremony: 18/11/2018
Visa Applying For: UK Settlement
Priority Service: Yes
Online Application Submitted: 21/01/2019
Biometrics Appointment: 24/01/2019
Supporting Documents Uploaded to VFS: 26/01/2019
Package Delivered in NYC: 29/01/2019
Sheffield "Application Is Being Prepared" Email: 01/03/2019
Decision Made Email: 05/03/2019
Passport Received: 06/03/2019
Decision: APPROVED

Sponsored Links