Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok, that was weird (soup story)  (Read 1261 times)

• Liked: 672
Ok, that was weird (soup story)
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:01:55 PM »
We've been buying Baxter's "Good Food Turmeric and Root Veg" soup for months now. It's always been quite thick, and is the Daughter's favorite. I stockpiled a dozen or two cans as I got them on good sale from Tesco over the last month or so.  Tonight I opened up a can for her to have with her cheese toastie and it was runny and poured right out of the can. No having to go in with a spatula to get the rest of it out. (uh oh). I cooked it the same as always - added salt and pepper, and nuked in the microwave for a few minutes. Still runny. Daughter said it tasted odd, too. Too sweet, and as if they left an ingredient (like the potato) out or something that changed the texture. I could definitely see the change in texture. I've never cared for it, so I'm not really familiar with the flavor, but it wasn't the taste I remembered. It was definitely "sweet", which is gross in a soup.

The can looked ok, no bulges, dents, etc., and didn't smell "off." So I wonder if they changed the recipe? You'd think they'd put that on the can --- "new and improved" or something?  I'm hoping it's the latter, as the last think we need is a case of food poisoning in the house. Ended up pouring half the bowl down the sink drain.  And am looking at my stash of stacked up cans on the shelf and just sighing.  I wonder how many of those are going to have to get binned, as well.

Sent an email to the company asking if they'd change the recipe, gave them the codes off the can, and am hoping they'll respond. Of course, if it was "off" we'll know it before they respond, I'd think.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:04:14 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Ok, that was weird (soup story)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
You're right, for such a substantial change, if there was a deliberate one, you would expect to see that on the packaging. But then again, maybe they are just watering it down to save money?  ;D  If you give the tins a shake, you might be able to tell from the feel and sound of it which ones are liquid and which are not. Then you would have something to send them if they say that they've not changed anything.
Hope your tummies are ok!  :)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
You're right, for such a substantial change, if there was a deliberate one, you would expect to see that on the packaging. But then again, maybe they are just watering it down to save money?  ;D  If you give the tins a shake, you might be able to tell from the feel and sound of it which ones are liquid and which are not. Then you would have something to send them if they say that they've not changed anything.
Hope your tummies are ok!  :)

Yeah, me, too. I only had a bit of it, but she had most of a bowl.

It crossed my mind that they were watering it down, yeah. I guess tomorrow I'll pull the rack out of the pantry and give 'em all a shake. I had bought quite a few a month or two ago, for "reserves" and hopefully they are the old ones that are thick. I can check the dates on the cans, anyway.

If it was just that they were watered down, I could put them on the stovetop in a pan and evaporate some of the water out. Still would feel a bit ripped-off, but at least it'd be usable. The taste is different, too.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
Check the labels... If the ingredients are different proportions it should be marked. I hope your daughters tummy is OK :( I read the label every time I buy something processed, they change all the time without notice or labeling on the front!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
So the proportion of the veg seems to be the same on the labels. But I've shaken several cans now and some of the more recently bought ones definitely "schloop" when shaken, and most of the ones I got a couple of months ago do not.

Have written to the company to ask if they've changed something, will be interesting to see if they respond and, if so, what they say.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:54 AM »
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but did you check the use by date?  Maybe they are old and some kind of thickener has stopped thickening.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but did you check the use by date?  Maybe they are old and some kind of thickener has stopped thickening.

Like Jimbo post vasectomy.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
I like that soup. It's usually thick, so I'm really curious now!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »

Yep.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
I like that soup. It's usually thick, so I'm really curious now!

Yeah, let me know if you notice anything. I wrote to Baxters, who say they haven't changed the recipe. (They are sending my message on to their quality control people.) They are apparently sending vouchers as a goodwill gesture.  Here is what the recipe is from their online adverts

Water, Carrots (20%), Swede (8%), Potatoes (7%), Onions, Parsnips (3%), Desicated Coconut, Cornflour, Ginger Puree, Coriander Leaf, Lime Juice, Yeast Extract, Salt, Turmeric, Garlic Puree, Coriander, Cardamom, Cumin, Black Pepper, Nutmeg. 

It was definitely runnier out of the can, and the Daughter says it tasted sweeter than normal. I can see if the carrots they used were sweeter than normal or something that might change the taste, but the Daughter says no, that's not it. Maybe it was the coconut they left out or something. Something was definitely missing....

I am wondering if earlier we were getting cans that had been on the shelf for a while, and maybe some of the solids had gone out of suspension, whereas the latest had a really recent manufacture date? Daughter says that wouldn't account for the flavors, tho.

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 08:04:16 AM »
Like Jimbo post vasectomy.

Poor Nan, just trying to talk about soup and you have to take it into the gutter!

Sponsored Links