Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Royal Mail Keepsafe  (Read 1244 times)

• Liked: 676
Royal Mail Keepsafe
« on: January 22, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »
When you guys go away on trips, do you have Royal Mail hold your incoming mail for you? Apparently, unlike the USA, they charge for that service here (14 pounds for 10 days). Any experience with it?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Royal Mail Keepsafe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »
No, I don't. Just let it pile up in my vestibule. Guess it's different if you're in a communal property with mailboxes that everyone can see that you're not collecting. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
Sorry Nan...Our post  comes right through our door, but if yours doesn't, then I'd say definitely have it held by the Royal Mail , even if only for peace of mind.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »
When you guys go away on trips, do you have Royal Mail hold your incoming mail for you? Apparently, unlike the USA, they charge for that service here (14 pounds for 10 days). Any experience with it?

They also charge to have mail forwarded which was also a surprise to us. (We rented for 9 months before buying and moving to our own house). I guess that is the price we pay for having the mail here run by private industry.

We are fortunate to have a letter box in our front door and family who live close by.  In 2016 when we left for over 2 months and when we leave for the whole of March this year we will have relatives coming by to pick the mail up off the floor once a week.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:33:22 PM »
Hi. Yeah, our mail comes through the slot. But I'm more concerned about "signed for" letters - we are waiting to hear from Ireland and, while it's unlikely the letter would come during our short time away, I don't want it returned due to the lack of anyone to sign for it.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:04:56 PM »
Hi. Yeah, our mail comes through the slot. But I'm more concerned about "signed for" letters - we are waiting to hear from Ireland and, while it's unlikely the letter would come during our short time away, I don't want it returned due to the lack of anyone to sign for it.

How long are you away for?

It looks like the PO will hold on to things for 18 days (or 21 days if there is a fee to pay). I thought it would be longer.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5215/~/i-need-help-with-items-returned-to-sender

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
We'll be back in that time frame, so I guess they'd just hold onto it and we'd get it redelivered when we got home.
No need to use the service, then, I guess. The neighbors would accept packages for us.

Sponsored Links