Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Update..!  (Read 1100 times)

• Liked: 250
Update..!
« on: January 23, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
Hello all,

My life went from 100-0 when I moved to the UK and it's since gone back from 0-100.

I got a part time job at a Coffee#1 in town, and my volunteer work finally kicked in at the museum. Though I'm only working 3-4 days a week, I've had little to no time off due to volunteering on my off days. It's been great.

As some of you might know from a previous post of mine, I've had several interviews for jobs in my field (museums & archives) and my last one, for Historic England, didn't work out. I asked for feedback, however, and the woman I interviewed with gave me really helpful feedback. She suggested that while I wasn't the right fit for that particular position, I should apply for one of their other posted positions. I took her advice and applied, and even due to a "high volume of applicants" I was chosen for an interview. For some reason, it isn't until 27 February. That's a looong way away, esp since the closing date for applications was 7 January. I've triple checked that the date is right though, so it's definitely in February. I have a good feeling about this job....I really feel like I am a perfect fit. Let's hope they think so too. If I get the job, our income will double but our ependetures won't change so we'll be able to start doing some of the things we've been wanting to do. It is a 13mo contract, so if I get it and it ends, I'll be in a much better position for future jobs than I am now. Please, please wish me luck!!

That being said, before I got the call from Coffee#1 saying I got the job, I had applied to this position. I had to tell them today that I have an interview. Obviously I haven't put in my notice, as I don't even have the job....but in the mere 3 weeks I've been working at the cafe I already feel like a part of the team and a part of the family. My co-workers are amazing and helpful, and management is understanding and patient. I have zero complaints. Even the customers have been incredible. I was genuinely worried about a few things when I started the job. 1. I hadn't had co-workers in a long time. I was with my previous company in the US for nearly 4 years, and I worked alone except for my boss. 2. Other retail jobs I'd had in the US just didn't work for me. My co-workers were always mean or rude, and made work really unenjoyable. I had a lot of anxiety about working in this cafe, and it's proven to be great so far.

Saying all of this, it was hard to even mention to my manager that I have an interview at another company, especially since I've only been there a few weeks. Though, they knew that upon hiring me. I was honest in my interview and paperwork that I had applied to the job at Historic England and was actively looking for full time work in my job sector.

Obviously I'll take the job if it's offered to me....but I am also a bit sad if I leave the cafe. Not trying to jump the gun, just thinking ahead. Hope everyone else's job searches are going well :) My situation, whatever happens, has definitely improved in the last couple months.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Update..!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
Glad things are going so well now!

Good luck with the interview.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:49:30 PM »
I'm really glad you got the coffee house job, even if it's just for a short time any income and great coworkers are good! If I could safely work in a public setting that's pretty much what I would love to do as a filler job. But given your education and experience I truly hope you get the historic England job!

I've been actively seeking volunteer opportunities and may have a second one with a much more organized group which would be good! The first one, well, they're new and aren't willing to use any of the funds they've already raised to create anything that will have an annual cost. So I don't want to do anything that's just going to be re engineered once they've secured more funding. And, there's a large learning curve on the rules and regulations of charities & volunteer groups here so I want to work with people who are well versed and can teach me. I've been applying to jobs and still not even getting a telephone interview. I get overwhelmed easily and at this point just need income, so I feel pretty terrible. I can't even find data entry or customer service jobs, it seems everything involves face to face interaction here. I was told my CV is exactly as it needs to be, but I have to figure out how to convey my strengths. If you don't even get a phone interview there's no way to do that! The only people contacting me are for contract roles where you go travel to client sites, and I can't do that because I can't always safely drive and can't predict which days that'll be. Knowing the things that make you an "unreliable" employee and trying to find jobs where that won't be an issue is extremely hard!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
I'm soooo pleased for you that it's all worked out so well.

The great news about it being a slow hiring process is that it'll give you more time with this lovely group of people, help you develop friendships that will last outside of work, and build your confidence more and more.

AND the best part is, that if you go into the interview and don't like those people as much, etc. - you can say no!  Remember an interview works both ways.  It's not just the employer who chooses, the employee has a choice to make as well.   :D

• Liked: 27
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
Just wanted to say 'congratulations' about the interview! With regards to far away interview dates-it's entirely common when you've got to get multiple people together to interview.  My boss is only part-time and they had a closing date that was before Christmas and they aren't interviewing until mid February! Plenty of time to prepare!!

Best of luck and well done!

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »
I'm really glad you got the coffee house job, even if it's just for a short time any income and great coworkers are good! If I could safely work in a public setting that's pretty much what I would love to do as a filler job. But given your education and experience I truly hope you get the historic England job!

I've been actively seeking volunteer opportunities and may have a second one with a much more organized group which would be good! The first one, well, they're new and aren't willing to use any of the funds they've already raised to create anything that will have an annual cost. So I don't want to do anything that's just going to be re engineered once they've secured more funding. And, there's a large learning curve on the rules and regulations of charities & volunteer groups here so I want to work with people who are well versed and can teach me. I've been applying to jobs and still not even getting a telephone interview. I get overwhelmed easily and at this point just need income, so I feel pretty terrible. I can't even find data entry or customer service jobs, it seems everything involves face to face interaction here. I was told my CV is exactly as it needs to be, but I have to figure out how to convey my strengths. If you don't even get a phone interview there's no way to do that! The only people contacting me are for contract roles where you go travel to client sites, and I can't do that because I can't always safely drive and can't predict which days that'll be. Knowing the things that make you an "unreliable" employee and trying to find jobs where that won't be an issue is extremely hard!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I was surprised at how little volunteer work there was in Swindon! I managed to grab one, and now she's asking me to go back!!

Good luck. That sounds really tough. Phone interviews are impersonal too. I had one of those a few weeks ago and it was so awkward.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:54:17 PM »
I was surprised at how little volunteer work there was in Swindon! I managed to grab one, and now she's asking me to go back!!

Good luck. That sounds really tough. Phone interviews are impersonal too. I had one of those a few weeks ago and it was so awkward.

99 times out of 100 the first interview will be a phone interview (in my experience at least).

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55:59 PM »
Even in the US most first interviews are phone based! I did inbound tech support for so long that I don't really have any issues with phone interviews and communication without being able to see the other side, I struggle much more in person! It's taken a lot of practice to be average in those, and in the US I was very confident with my skills but the experience I've had here pretty much shattered that. You can't tell people you were the victim of discrimination, you can't tell people you're disabled, even giving your visa can mean discrimination as a woman since its a spousal visa. The more voluntary work I do the better I'll feel about myself at least, but that doesn't help me pay my bills. Brexit means companies are pulling back their hiring right now too I think. Usually in January there's a flurry of postings and I haven't really seen that this year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 08:07:27 PM »
My first in-person here was super intimidating. She even said in my feedback I strayed from the question "due to my enthusiasm" I was so excited that I had an interview, it might've been a setback. That being said, it wasn't that they didn't like me I just wasn't a fit for that job. She suggested I apply to this position which I now have an interview for. That says something, right? She wouldn't have told me if they didn't like me.

Finger's crossed!!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
Even in the US most first interviews are phone based! I did inbound tech support for so long that I don't really have any issues with phone interviews and communication without being able to see the other side, I struggle much more in person! It's taken a lot of practice to be average in those, and in the US I was very confident with my skills but the experience I've had here pretty much shattered that. You can't tell people you were the victim of discrimination, you can't tell people you're disabled, even giving your visa can mean discrimination as a woman since its a spousal visa. The more voluntary work I do the better I'll feel about myself at least, but that doesn't help me pay my bills. Brexit means companies are pulling back their hiring right now too I think. Usually in January there's a flurry of postings and I haven't really seen that this year.

I have never had a phone interview in my entire life!  :o 8)

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:54 PM »
My first in-person here was super intimidating. She even said in my feedback I strayed from the question "due to my enthusiasm" I was so excited that I had an interview, it might've been a setback. That being said, it wasn't that they didn't like me I just wasn't a fit for that job. She suggested I apply to this position which I now have an interview for. That says something, right? She wouldn't have told me if they didn't like me.

Finger's crossed!!
Yeah, I am sure they wouldn't have told you to apply for this job if they didn't think you'd be a fit! I really hope you get it. I just would be sure to keep in mind most employers do phone screens now so don't be scared of them either. Just getting to that stage means you made it through the first sift and they're trying to find the handful to bring in for the in-person interview. But actually having the interview scheduled is huge! Hiring here is such a slow process for most roles, even entry level ones!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:56:34 AM »
So glad that things have turned around for you! :D

Only word of advice I'd give (not that you asked) as just that - in future - I'd not even tell current employer that you have an interview :) There is no obligation to do that  and you can just request that day off because you can say "I have an appointment that day" or something. Just a way to protect yourself a little bit extra really.

Fingers crossed for you for this interview! The good part about it being so far off is that you have a lot of time to prep for it and if there are things you aren't as proficient in that it mentions in the job descriptions, you can start working on it now and then - come interview time - you can tell them how you've been working on xyz stuff. Also pleased to hear that your volunteer stuff is kicking off and you're enjoying it :) (just make sure you don't go the exact opposite for too long or you'll burn yourself out by not taking any breaks to have "you time").

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
So glad that things have turned around for you! :D

Only word of advice I'd give (not that you asked) as just that - in future - I'd not even tell current employer that you have an interview :) There is no obligation to do that  and you can just request that day off because you can say "I have an appointment that day" or something. Just a way to protect yourself a little bit extra really.

Fingers crossed for you for this interview! The good part about it being so far off is that you have a lot of time to prep for it and if there are things you aren't as proficient in that it mentions in the job descriptions, you can start working on it now and then - come interview time - you can tell them how you've been working on xyz stuff. Also pleased to hear that your volunteer stuff is kicking off and you're enjoying it :) (just make sure you don't go the exact opposite for too long or you'll burn yourself out by not taking any breaks to have "you time").

The -only- reason I brought it up was because in my interview, they mentioned my Master's degree and then asked if I would be putting applications out to bigger jobs in my sector so I thought honesty was the best policy. I'd warned them about this potential job right off the bat even if it screwed my chances because I didn't want to be caught in a lie later.

They hired me anyway! At this point, as much as they want me to say, they're aware that I have an interview/are rooting for me! So now I don't have to sneak around or lie to them. It feels good to be honest about it! I'm lucky that they're so nice about it.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
The -only- reason I brought it up was because in my interview, they mentioned my Master's degree and then asked if I would be putting applications out to bigger jobs in my sector so I thought honesty was the best policy. I'd warned them about this potential job right off the bat even if it screwed my chances because I didn't want to be caught in a lie later.

They hired me anyway! At this point, as much as they want me to say, they're aware that I have an interview/are rooting for me! So now I don't have to sneak around or lie to them. It feels good to be honest about it! I'm lucky that they're so nice about it.

I bet you sleep better at night because of that too!   :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab