Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I wonder if it's possible?  (Read 3601 times)

• Liked: 674
I wonder if it's possible?
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Ok. So, I haven't been "in education" (although I worked in academia) since 1995. I'm retired. I have time on my hands. I had to drop out before I got my PhD (15 hours - 3 classes - and a dissertation short of finishing) because I simply couldn't raise a kid on my own, work part time, and carry a full load of PhD studies (which are a hella harder than undergrad classes were - the reading alone was a killer!). There just were not enough hours in the day, and it turned out I was in the wrong program for what I really wanted to do. (Bad advising and poverty kind of shoehorned me into that.)

So. I'm retired. I'm old - geriatric, by student standards. I have some disposable income, but a lot of it is already earmarked for the Daughter's future tuition and fees. I have lots of time on my hands. I miss doing research, and I love writing. I was good at both, back in the day.  I'm considering trying to go back for a new post-grad degree. I'll never "use" it, as such, but I might be able to produce some worthwhile research. And it would keep my brain from rusting to a standstill. I have only just started exploring my options, but I thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone knows if there are any funding programs for older adults? We're talking higher ed here, not further ed.

I couldn't start this year, of course, due to my lack of residency. But when that date passed, it might be nice to be able to go back to school again. Then again, I'll have no academic references - they're all dead of being older than I am. I wonder if there would be a way around that? What reputable institution would admit a student who hasn't been in school in twenty-five years, without references? I don't have any of my old research papers, nothing but transcripts of work completed.

Am I just dreaming, here?

• Liked: 6110
Re: I wonder if it's possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:37:08 PM »
Have a look at the Open University?

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:44:24 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
Have a look at the Open University?

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/

Thanks! I've asked for their post-grad prospectus. Not sure I could do a proper research degree with them, though. I think I need to be at an actual university where I can participate in seminars, etc., but will definitely look into this. If I only had to go down to England now and then it might be doable.  :)   Assuming there's someone working in my field of interest there.

http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
I would second open university :) they participate in a lot of valuable research, so you may be able to find something in your field!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
So, I talked to the Daughter about Open University. She cautions that it's considered by serious academics to not be a "real" university, in the sense that it's not as academically rigorous and is designed basically to get people credentials that they can use on the job market. (Much like National University, back in the States.) Doing distance learning is great, and useful to some people, but not nearly the same thing as doing onsite seminars, etc., with colleagues.

No idea how true that is, but if so it's not going to work for me.   ???  I have written to Univ. Glasgow to see if they have a department where my particular set of interests would best find a home, and will then discuss them with anyone I can find in that department who does anything remotely similar. If I don't find a "home" there, I'll try other Unis nearby. Not sure if I'd be in Poli Sci, Sociology, or an interdisciplinary program (that last one is my guess). Things are done differently here, so I'll need to do some ferreting.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
I would caution that it will be the UK opinion on it, and we all know how judgy they can be about non traditional anything. I've seen a number of job postings saying a degree from a top university is a requirement! So while you're still in the research phase of looking into options, it could be worth including in the list. I also assume your daughter wants a career in academia,  but I was gathering from your post that the PhD would be more for your own enrichment and hopefully contributing some solid research to the world?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:23:06 PM »
So, I talked to the Daughter about Open University. She cautions that it's considered by serious academics to not be a "real" university, in the sense that it's not as academically rigorous and is designed basically to get people credentials that they can use on the job market. (Much like National University, back in the States.) Doing distance learning is great, and useful to some people, but not nearly the same thing as doing onsite seminars, etc., with colleagues.

No idea how true that is, but if so it's not going to work for me.   ???  I have written to Univ. Glasgow to see if they have a department where my particular set of interests would best find a home, and will then discuss them with anyone I can find in that department who does anything remotely similar. If I don't find a "home" there, I'll try other Unis nearby. Not sure if I'd be in Poli Sci, Sociology, or an interdisciplinary program (that last one is my guess). Things are done differently here, so I'll need to do some ferreting.

It was good enough for Rita!  ;) ;D 8)

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 06:30:24 PM »
But seriously!   :)

Open University is held in quite high regard here in the general scheme of things.

But if you are looking at prestige universities, think Oxford, Cambridge and possibly, for Scotland,  St Andrews.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »
But seriously!   :)

Open University is held in quite high regard here in the general scheme of things.

But if you are looking at prestige universities, think Oxford, Cambridge and possibly, for Scotland,  St Andrews.

Prestige, no. Just solid. Not one with a watered-down curriculum. Have to find a place where there are people actually active in my specific field of interest, which will drive where I end up, in the end - if it's even do-able.

I pulled out my NARIC eval and it says I have the equivlant of an honors BA and a UK Masters. (Which is odd, as Masters' degrees here are only a year long and mine was two years of some seriously difficult coursework. A WAY more rigorous program than the Daughter had. Oh well. What is, is.) So at least I've got that to work from.

If I read the prospectus for Open Uni correctly, I'd enroll in a one-year master's program and if I did well enough in that they'd let me go on for the PhD. So, a four year program instead of three. Assuming there was even anyone working in my area. Will look at more when the material arrives.

The Daughter says PhD programs here are not the same as in the States, though. You don't have formal classes, you just do your thing. Which is too bad, really, because one learns so much in seminars.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:34:38 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
Prestige, no. Just solid. Not one with a watered-down curriculum. Have to find a place where there are people actually active in my specific field of interest, which will drive where I end up, in the end - if it's even do-able.

I pulled out my NARIC eval and it says I have the equivlant of an honors BA and a UK Masters. (Which is odd, as Masters' degrees here are only a year long and mine was two years of some seriously difficult coursework. A WAY more rigorous program than the Daughter had. Oh well. What is, is.) So at least I've got that to work from.

If I read the prospectus for Open Uni correctly, I'd enroll in a one-year master's program and if I did well enough in that they'd let me go on for the PhD. So, a four year program instead of three. Assuming there was even anyone working in my area. Will look at more when the material arrives.

The Daughter says PhD programs here are not the same as in the States, though. You don't have formal classes, you just do your thing. Which is too bad, really, because one learns so much in seminars.

I hope you find something that's the perfect fit!  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
Thanks. I'm thinking it has been so long that I should really back up and do another Masters. Just to get my feet properly under me in this system. It will come down to if there's a suitable program and if it's not terribly expensive.  If I find something, it might be just the thing for me to do.

If not, I can always do independent research, but won't achieve nearly as much as I don't have the initial direction I would need. We'll see how things turn out.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab