Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renewal credit card activation (from US bank)  (Read 1317 times)

• Liked: 1327
Renewal credit card activation (from US bank)
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
I just received a renewal credit card from a US account, but there are no activation instructions.  Is new card activation no longer a thing?

I have been gone so long that I don't know what's done anymore?!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
Re: Renewal credit card activation (from US bank)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
I just received a renewal credit card from a US account, but there are no activation instructions.  Is new card activation no longer a thing?

We have just been through this with our US bank and it was a bit of a farce.  Even though our UK address is listed on our account when I log on and look at it, the department of the bank that actually creates and sends out the debit cards had an old address in the USA which is an apartment address. First we knew about a problem was when our bank, HSBC, contacted me to say that my Debit card ending in xxxx had been blocked, please call for more info. Turns out that the card had been received by someone who was not us and then had attempted to validate it but failed.  After correcting our address they sent new cards out via DHL for which we had to sign for in person, not just anyone. The instructions with the cards were the standard ones to call a US number to validate them but when I called, the automated system said they had already been validated.  I have a Skype account so toll free US numbers are also toll free for us in the UK.

HSBC's process for overseas customers is maybe to send out pre-validated cards but ensure that they are received by the intended customers, or they maybe were embarrassed at their failure to update our change of address correctly and did the DHL for speed.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
We have just been through this with our US bank and it was a bit of a farce.  Even though our UK address is listed on our account when I log on and look at it, the department of the bank that actually creates and sends out the debit cards had an old address in the USA which is an apartment address. First we knew about a problem was when our bank, HSBC, contacted me to say that my Debit card ending in xxxx had been blocked, please call for more info. Turns out that the card had been received by someone who was not us and then had attempted to validate it but failed.  After correcting our address they sent new cards out via DHL for which we had to sign for in person, not just anyone. The instructions with the cards were the standard ones to call a US number to validate them but when I called, the automated system said they had already been validated.  I have a Skype account so toll free US numbers are also toll free for us in the UK.

HSBC's process for overseas customers is maybe to send out pre-validated cards but ensure that they are received by the intended customers, or they maybe were embarrassed at their failure to update our change of address correctly and did the DHL for speed.
My address with HSBC is correct and my debit card came DHL. I still had to activate it via Skype. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »
My address with HSBC is correct and my debit card came DHL. I still had to activate it via Skype. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for this, I did think it odd that ours were already validated.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

My US cards still require to be activated. I've just done one that arrived a while ago! I did it online this time but can also be done over the phone/skype.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
Well, now I'm confused.  There's no sticker on it saying anything like "Before you use this card, you must...!"  And the only things in the envelope were the letterheaded paper with card attached (with information that lets me know it's genuine), and a little booklet with updates to the card user agreement.

I tried going to the issuing bank's website and logging in, and everything there looks as it should.  Maybe they just forgot to put the sticker on?  I'll try a help chat with the bank.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
Well, now I'm confused.  There's no sticker on it saying anything like "Before you use this card, you must...!"  And the only things in the envelope were the letterheaded paper with card attached (with information that lets me know it's genuine), and a little booklet with updates to the card user agreement.

I tried going to the issuing bank's website and logging in, and everything there looks as it should.  Maybe they just forgot to put the sticker on?  I'll try a help chat with the bank.

You could always try using it, knowing that it might get rejected. If it is CHIP and PIN then knowing and using the PIN is probably enough validation. My US Debit card from my old US bank before we moved was activated using the card with PIN.

I would do what you suggest and try an online help chat session, or even call them.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 05:56:45 PM »
Do be honest, I'm surprised they continue to send out new cards.  I haven't used it since the last new one in 2014.  I have one other US credit card that I use for large purchases (it gives miles and only a ~1% currency exchange fee, so I can use it in either country), or I use US debit in the US or UK debit in the UK.  I don't actually need the card.  I just like to keep my credit score up as best I can, so I can't close my oldest account.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab