Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh Foop - our utility company has just folded  (Read 2893 times)

• Liked: 680
Oh Foop - our utility company has just folded
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:06:47 PM »
And I only learned about it on the news. They couldn't be bothered to send a letter or email, but they stopped trading today.  Went onto my banking and they drew the direct debit out four days ago, but the bank doesn't let me stop future transfers - it's possible they are automatically stopped, don't know. It still shows as "active" but I can't access that particular direct debit to cancel it.

So, from what they say in the news, Ofgem will assign us to another power company. Said new power company may or may not honor our existing contract price. If they do not, they will put us on something called a "deemed tariff" which is supposedly usually not the best one available.  If I don't care for the "deemed tariff" I'm supposedly free to switch suppliers, which I will probably do and get some meerkat movie tickets out of the mess. Apparently also the new supplier is supposed to arrange for a refund - I pay a month in advance, so I definitely will want that back. SO, hopefully this all sorts out before we go on vacation.

Have taken a set of meter readings and put them on my spreadsheet.  Geesh, it just never ends, with the power company stuff!

• Liked: 958
Re: Oh Foop - our utility company has just folded
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:58 PM »
Same happened to us and we were seamlessly transferred to new suppliers with the current one doing the servicing still (or maybe they bought the platform so they don't have to transfer thousands of people). I read about in the news. *sigh*

I hope the transition is smooth for you!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
So do I!  ::)

I went online to one of those comparison websites, and apparently I could save over 100pounds from what I've been paying, per year. The company we were with was a social initiative, though.  I paid just a little more each month and it was put into a fund to help people who had trouble paying their basic heating bills. I was good with that.  It's like the flat I'm in. The association funnels the money we tenants pay here to their properties in less affluent areas to help out people there. Win/win.

Oh, well. Fingers are crossed it just goes smoothly. It was like pulling teeth to get a paper bill out of that company anyway. I don't mind direct debit, but I want some sort of a freaking record of the charges! Hopefully it won't require my attention while I'm away. Or rather, it'll have to wait, because I'm unplugging when I go!

(Except I'll try to send a photo of Randy's Donuts and one of the forearm-sized burritos we can get "at home"....)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:40 AM »
Somewhat off topic, your post reminded me that I had a year-end bill from my electric company because the monthly direct debit they were taking last year was insufficient.  I'd forgotten I needed to make a payment to cover that.  So, thanks!

I am sure the transition to your new provider will be mostly unnoticeable at your end.  But, definitely shop around if you have alternatives available.  Make sure you're getting the best rate you can!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:40:54 AM »

Don't forget to check that the power company didn't end up owing YOU money.  They tend to overestimate the amount they should take from your bank account so they can accumulate a pile of money.   

The energy market here is one of the dodgiest things I have come across.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:42:56 AM »
Yeah, my spreadsheet says I'm owed between 50 and 70 pounds right now. Since I have only been able to get one bill from them (ever) I have had to use my best guess in creating the spreadsheet. I do remember that I paid a month in advance, at startup. So I'll definitely be on them about it.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:52:03 AM »
Don't forget to check that the power company didn't end up owing YOU money.  They tend to overestimate the amount they should take from your bank account so they can accumulate a pile of money.   

The energy market here is one of the dodgiest things I have come across.

They are all a bunch of crooks!
When we first moved here,  one of the big companies convinced me to switch to them by saying my payments would be less. I took that to mean that their prices were cheaper, but no, it just meant that they were going to lower the direct debit amount which had been too high before.
I'd already sighed up with them on that premise but when I found out about the way I'd been  blatantly mislead, I complained and was able to reverse the switch. It was a huge hassle though.  ::)

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
They are all a bunch of crooks!
When we first moved here,  one of the big companies convinced me to switch to them by saying my payments would be less. I took that to mean that their prices were cheaper, but no, it just meant that they were going to lower the direct debit amount which had been too high before.
I'd already sighed up with them on that premise but when I found out about the way I'd been  blatantly mislead, I complained and was able to reverse the switch. It was a huge hassle though.  ::)

Ewwww.

From now on I think I'm going to ask to be billed and pay on receipt of bill.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
Ewwww.

From now on I think I'm going to ask to be billed and pay on receipt of bill.

Unfortunately, you will probably find that you won't get such a good price for your power if you don't pay by direct debit. They tend to incentivise paying that way, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I don't mind it because I find it more convenient than actively paying a bill but I do still keep an eye on things. And I actually also prefer to be in a bit of credit, but that's just me!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:43:00 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
I'd be more comfortable with it if I got a bill on a regular basis, or could log in and see how they're accounting for my charges. ::)

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 01:53:28 PM »
I'd be more comfortable with it if I got a bill on a regular basis, or could log in and see how they're accounting for my charges. ::)

Maybe it depends on your company but you should be able to have both.  :)  I have an online account and can check it easily whenever I want to. And up until my husband got his ILR., I had a paper bill coming every month (the bill was triggered by taking a reading). I've since switched to a paperless account though, as it's cheaper.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »
Maybe it depends on your company but you should be able to have both.  :)  I have an online account and can check it easily whenever I want to. And up until my husband got his ILR., I had a paper bill coming every month (the bill was triggered by taking a reading). I've since switched to a paperless account though, as it's cheaper.

I'll definitely be checking. SSE wouldn't send paper bills without a charge for them. OurPower said they'd send them, but I only got one after almost 9 months, after becoming...strident...about it. 

Yeah, the idea is that the daughter is on the account paperwork now. Since she wasn't working here until recently when we do pre-settlement/settlement applications there is nothing in their database to check as far as wages to verify her residence for the period April 2017 - Sept 2017. So I am fully expecting that they are going to insist we provide dated documents with her name/address on them. Of course, we do have the council-tax records, so if they only need one document that should do it. If they need more it's iffy.

We have the entry stamp in her passport for April 2017. No paperwork for May showing she was here. Nothing for June in her name. Possibly we signed up with the GP that month, and perhaps we can get a letter to that effect. She applied for a NI number in July, as well as the residency card, so that month is covered. She has had a bank account here that she opened when she was a student a few years ago, but she didn't use it for many months when we first arrived, so we can't use that to prove residency. She only got around to changing the address on it towards the end of last summer, since it was all electronic banking (no statements). Her course started in late September, so from that point on we're good. If they only want the one document, we're good.  But I do like to be prepared so as to not be caught short unexpectedly!  ::) :D

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »
So they have switched us to Utilita energy, which appears mainly to cater to people on pre-pay meters. Supposedly the switch happens tomorrow, and we are to receive a letter explaining the tariffs.

From what I see on their website, none are set tariffs, all are variable. I did a meerkat market thingy and it looks like British Gas actually has a better rate. But there's EDF, which would be almost exactly what I have been paying Our Power, and has good Trust Pilot ratings, and will send me a paper bill. Plus Meerkat Movies. So problem solved.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:53:18 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
Well, we got a paper letter from them saying that they were our provider as of 31 Jan, but nothing in it says what the rates are! Although there was a form to send in to set up a direct debit. As if!   When I went to their website and asked for a quote for my postal code, what came back was 20% higher than what I've been paying, and was on a variable tariff. So yeah, I'll be doing a compare the market when we get back from the States.

Our "welcome" packet from the new company is supposed to have all the pertinent info, but has not arrived yet. (Don't know if that is the company or the mail, because I still don't have my travel insurance packet, which supposedly has been mailed twice in the last month. Or my sim chip, which should have been here a week ago, etc.)

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Well, we got a paper letter from them saying that they were our provider as of 31 Jan, but nothing in it says what the rates are! Although there was a form to send in to set up a direct debit. As if!   When I went to their website and asked for a quote for my postal code, what came back was 20% higher than what I've been paying, and was on a variable tariff. So yeah, I'll be doing a compare the market when we get back from the States.

Our "welcome" packet from the new company is supposed to have all the pertinent info, but has not arrived yet. (Don't know if that is the company or the mail, because I still don't have my travel insurance packet, which supposedly has been mailed twice in the last month. Or my sim chip, which should have been here a week ago, etc.)

Sounds like they are not playing fair....blank cheque anyone?  Have a look to make sure this new company doesn't try to charge you an exit fee. Some tariffs do, some don't, if you leave after the initial 14 day cooling off period.
In the circumstances, I'd be aghast if there was a fee but it's a good idea to check.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab