Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Oh Foop - our utility company has just folded  (Read 2890 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Oh Foop - our utility company has just folded
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
Well, we're leaving the country soon for a bit, so I'll be really pissed off if they try to charge me an exit fee as they haven't even sent me my tariff yet to approve!   The few documents they have sent me, addressed to MR. NanD and Daughter are less than confidence inspiring, yet they say there is no early-out penalty fee. (The emails they are sending with the emojiis in them are pretty horrific as well - how unprofessional! )

I've done a spreadsheet with a hypothetical power load of 250Kwh each for both gas and electric, and plugged in the standing charges, for a hypothetical month of 30 days, and am comparing rates that I'm finding online:

Our Power was costing me about 55 pounds per month on a two-year fixed tariff.
SSE (our supplier prior to Our Power) comes in at just under 69 pounds a month on a fixed-for-one-year tariff at their best rate.
Utilitia comes in, using their online rate, at around 64 pounds a month, but the rate is variable*
EDF (through Compare the Market) would come in at about 59 pounds on a fixed-for-a-year tariff, and I'd get the movie tickets.
British Gas and Electric's website keeps telling me "something went wrong" and won't give me any info. U-Switch's website quotes me about 56pounds for them on a fixed for 11 months.

There's a "Green Energy"  on "U-Switch" that locks the price in for 18 months at about 57 pounds a month.
Bristol Energy has a two-year price lock at about 58 a month.

It'll give me something to do in the hotel in the evenings, I guess. Assuming the wi-fi works! ::)

(* I don't know if the tariff is accurate - I've found one site that says they have a hella high unit rate until you pass a certain amount, then it drops. But that's not what is on their website.  Until I get something in writing from them, I won't know for sure. Will probably go Green Energy. (Until it goes tits up!)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:02:51 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:39 PM »
Yeah, so I got a decent rate locked in for 18 months with Green Energy . They will take control of our supply on March 11 - I'm kind of bummed that I have to deal with the "default" provided OFGEM sold us to until then, but the switch-over is done. Utilita, the default people, have STILL not sent me anything saying what their prices were. Just a request that I fill out a direct debit form. Uh, no. >:(

The only problems with GN were that they wouldn't put the Daughter's name on the account unless we phoned them, which we did, and then they tried mightily to have us not do that. (We're trying to build her a credit rating.) But they have added her to the account. And the fact that everything has to happen online - there are no hardcopies. So the quarterly bills won't be useful for any sort of Home Office related issues, as all we will have are printed PDFs. But hopefully we won't need them, as the Daughter is now on record as employed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 10:11:29 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:21 PM »
Yeah, so I got a decent rate locked in for 18 months with Green Energy Energy. They will take control of our supply on March 11 - I'm kind of bummed that I have to deal with the "default" provided OFGEM sold us to until then, but the switch-over is done. Utilita, the default people, have STILL not sent me anything saying what their prices were. Just a request that I fill out a direct debit form. Uh, no. >:(

The only problems with GN were that they wouldn't put the Daughter's name on the account unless we phoned them, which we did, and then they tried mightily to have us not do that. (We're trying to build her a credit rating.) But they have added her to the account. And the fact that everything has to happen online - there are no hardcopies. So the quarterly bills won't be useful for any sort of Home Office related issues, as all we will have are printed PDFs. But hopefully we won't need them, as the Daughter is now on record as employed.

Glad you're sorted!  :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
Yeah, so I got a decent rate locked in for 18 months with Green Energy . They will take control of our supply on March 11 - I'm kind of bummed that I have to deal with the "default" provided OFGEM sold us to until then, but the switch-over is done. Utilita, the default people, have STILL not sent me anything saying what their prices were. Just a request that I fill out a direct debit form. Uh, no. >:(

Did you decline the direct debit?  I wouldn't have anything to do with giving them access to my current account without showing me the pricelist first.  Nope!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 08:15:07 PM »
No way was I giving them any info at all! I have cancelled the old "Our Power" direct debit, and as of now there is no energy debiting out of my account.  Today we got a letter from Utilita saying they understand we are switching and they are sorry to see us go, and hope it wasn't from poor service or anything. They can't be too sorry, as they still haven't sent us our "welcome pack."

Their "sorry" email was still addressed to Mr. NanD and MISS Daughter NanD. And still has nothing whatsoever about the charges they intend to hit us with for the gas/electric usage from the time OurPower went tits up until 11 March, when Green Network takes over, either!  >:(  I took meter readings at midnight on 30 Jan (they were to switch over to Utilita on 31 Jan), and have the last meter read sent in to Our Power, and should have had a credit balance  (with OP) of about £70  as of that date. As we were out of town for two weeks in Feb, hopefully it won't be too bad. What I find of Utilita's rates online are that they are seriously painful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:33:38 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
After much proverbial pulling of teeth, I was told that Utilita's tariffs were the ones that would come up on the "get a quote" section of their webpage, for our postal code. They are  higher for gas and  higher for electric, so I'm glad it's "byebye" and will be happy to have nothing more to do with them.  Thanks tons, OFGEM, for sticking us with these people!  >:( >:(

We have not gotten a final bill from Our Power, so I assume (and the person I spoke to today at Utilita, despite my requesting all communication come in the Post, confirmed by phone) that any credit/charges from OP will transfer to Utilita and be included on THEIR final bill. But she also told me I could see the charges to date on my smart meter, which actually only shows me my usage, not any of the tariffs or charges. So how accurate anything she told me is up in the air really.  ::)

At least Green Network is a large company, and less likely (I would think) to implode than a smaller energy company. Jeex.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:12:48 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 10:23:16 AM »
And, unsurprisingly, we got postal mail from Utilita yesterday. I am still Mr. NanD and the Daughter's name is still Miss and then all lower case letters. They were letting us know that they are raising the rates for both gas and electric beginning 1 April. It's an unhealthy bump up in price.  In the letter they are talking about the company having to raise the rates, and then switch into "I" am sorry to have to do this. Wow, who proofs these things?

Will be happy to switch to Green Network - it can't happen soon enough, as far as I am concerned.

Sponsored Links