Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big Garden Bird Watch.  (Read 22147 times)

• Liked: 6110
Big Garden Bird Watch.
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »
The RSPB big garden bird watch takes place this weekend.  :D  Please think about participating if you would like to.   :)
 You can watch the birds in your garden or a local park and they just ask for one hour of watching between today and Monday. And it's a fabulous way for those of you with children to get them interested in nature!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

For 40 years, we've been asking you to count the birds in your garden – and you've been brilliant at it.
With over half a million people now regularly taking part, coupled with almost 40 years worth of data, Big Garden Birdwatch allows us to monitor trends and helps us understand how birds are doing.
As the format of the survey has stayed the same, the scientific data can be compared year-on-year, making your results very valuable to our scientists.
With results from so many gardens, we are able to create a 'snapshot' of bird numbers across the UK.
While some changes in bird numbers can seem scary - we've lost more than half our house sparrows and some three-quarters of our starlings - it isn't all doom and gloom. Since Birdwatch began blue tit numbers have risen by 20 per cent and the woodpigeon population has increased by a whopping 800 per cent.
Your results help us spot problems, but more importantly, they are also the first step in putting things right. This is why it's so important that we count garden birds.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/everything-you-need-to-know-about-big-garden-birdwatch/#tD5aH52X263jHY1I.99

Form and identification chart. https://www.rspb.org.uk/globalassets/images/bgbw/big-garden-birdwatch-2019/2019-pdfs/big_garden_birdwatch_2019_english.pdf

Thank you!  :)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Big Garden Bird Watch.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
I just saw this on BBC News site.  In fact, the BBC article shows stats on some common UK garden birds, and how their population has changed since 1979... Based on the photos in that article, I think a bird that I was trying to identify last fall was a song thrush, which is on the decline.  So, yay!

I never really paid much attention to birds (other than the time I laughed really hard at seeing a magpie for the first time), but since moving to our house here in Wales, I see so many types of birds, it's got me interested in them.  I'll see if I can participate.  My utili-kitchen window is huge and looks out over my back garden.  It's a good spot to watch from where I won't startle the birds.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
I just saw this on BBC News site.  In fact, the BBC article shows stats on some common UK garden birds, and how their population has changed since 1979... Based on the photos in that article, I think a bird that I was trying to identify last fall was a song thrush, which is on the decline.  So, yay!

I never really paid much attention to birds (other than the time I laughed really hard at seeing a magpie for the first time), but since moving to our house here in Wales, I see so many types of birds, it's got me interested in them.  I'll see if I can participate.  My utili-kitchen window is huge and looks out over my back garden.  It's a good spot to watch from where I won't startle the birds.

Yay!  :D

My dad was a great bird lover and nature lover in general.   When I was little, he taught me the names all the trees and wild flowers and birds. I was never so good at identifying the small birds because.... tiny and they move fast!  But I've always tried to keep up with feeding and watering them in the garden here.  :)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
Yay!  :D

My dad was a great bird lover and nature lover in general.   When I was little, he taught me the names all the trees and wild flowers and birds. I was never so good at identifying the small birds because.... tiny and they move fast!  But I've always tried to keep up with feeding and watering them in the garden here.  :)

The small ones are adorable.  Especially Wrens.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
The small ones are adorable.  Especially Wrens.

You know, I never see them but think I saw a wren this week! It was there and gone in the blink of an eye but their little bodies are much rounder than the rest, with the little upturned tail so they are quite distinctive. I thought of you and your indoor wren!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
You know, I never see them but think I saw a wren this week! It was there and gone in the blink of an eye but their little bodies are much rounder than the rest, with the little upturned tail so they are quite distinctive. I thought of you and your indoor wren!

Aww, I'm sorry.  I see a lot of wrens (or the same ones repeatedly!).  I'm also seeing a lot of coal tits lately.  They're not quite as cute as wrens, but I like them.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »
Aww, I'm sorry.  I see a lot of wrens (or the same ones repeatedly!).  I'm also seeing a lot of coal tits lately.  They're not quite as cute as wrens, but I like them.

But I was sooo happy to see that one..  :D

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »
They're the cutest!  :)

• Liked: 674
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
So usually I see lots more birds, but I did the watch on Saturday and all that showed up were some wood pigeons and magpies! Oh, well. I reported what I saw, but it's not typical of here. I hope that doesn't mess up their statistics!

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
So usually I see lots more birds, but I did the watch on Saturday and all that showed up were some wood pigeons and magpies! Oh, well. I reported what I saw, but it's not typical of here. I hope that doesn't mess up their statistics!

I guess it all evens out in the end. Someone else will have reported your missing birds hopefully!

I did mine yesterday, it was my first time of actively participating and I loved it!   ;D
Normally I just pretty much just fill the feeders and the birdbaths and leave them to it but actually getting the binoculars out and paying attention, was awesome!  ;D

My results were pretty much representative of my usual casual observations (blue tits, great tits and coal tits, wood pigeons and blackbirds, crow and fat robin) except, I only saw three of my huge flock (parliament) of magpies and I noticed a pair of chaffinch which made me happy.

But it's all so different than years ago. Not one thrush or starling, and I only spotted a single sparrow. I'm going to keep a better look out from now on!  :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
There are 4 brown/red chickens in mine
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:34 PM »
There are 4 brown/red chickens in mine

How many eggs do you get per day from four chickens?

What's the minimum number of chickens one should keep for the chicken(s) to be happy?

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
Usually spring through autumn, is 1 egg per chicken*, per day.  This time of year, due to light levels , it's usually every other day, or every three days.

Chickens definitely like their company with other chickens. I personally would say 3, minimum, but I am no expert. 

*I have hybrid chickens and they're bred to give eggs.  Speciality chickens lay less ,and not really in the winter at all. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 04:20:45 PM »
Usually spring through autumn, is 1 egg per chicken*, per day.  This time of year, due to light levels , it's usually every other day, or every three days.

Chickens definitely like their company with other chickens. I personally would say 3, minimum, but I am no expert. 

*I have hybrid chickens and they're bred to give eggs.  Speciality chickens lay less ,and not really in the winter at all.

If we did have chickens, it would be for the eggs, not just to look at a pretty bird.  Hybrid would be fine.  Though, 3-4 eggs a day is a bit much for the two of us!  What do you do with extras?

But we probably won't have chickens.   I'm just curious about it because sometimes I think I'd like us to be more self-sufficient.  I know my husband would like to be, too, but at the same time, we have a mortgage to pay, and he'd have to carry a larger share of the chores around the house, on top of earning our mortgage, so we probably won't take on the extra work unless it became necessary.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
I give eggs to my in-laws, neighbours (to keep the peace for my squawkers),  and random folks who visit us. 
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab