Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big Garden Bird Watch.  (Read 21939 times)

• Liked: 424

• Liked: 1891
Re: Big Garden Bird Watch.
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2020, 06:43:57 PM »
I read the other day that you can transplant a feather from one bird to another.  In Middle Eastern countries where they love falconry, there are banks of feathers from donor birds that can be given to rich people's birds. 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2021, 07:30:26 AM »
It's here!  :)

Big Garden Birdwatch is finally here! We’d love you to take part.

In your hour of watching, you’ll get to see the fascinating antics of your garden birds. From squabbling starlings, lively long-tailed tits to fluttering blue tits, you never know what will show up until you start looking, and it changes every minute!

Your Birdwatch creates a fascinating snapshot of how our garden birds are faring, and these add together to create an impressive big picture of garden birds all over the UK. We’d love you to add your sightings to the picture! Many of us have grown closer to nature over the past year – and Big Garden Birdwatch is an amazing way to celebrate that.

Of course, there’s always the chance that you don’t see anything during your Birdwatch. That’s fine – we’d still like to know, as it’s useful information for us. But we hope your hour is full of drama and perhaps even surprise! We’d love to hear your Birdwatch stories. Share and join in the Birdwatch chat at #BigGardenBirdwatch

You can submit your results online at rspb.org.uk/birdwatch until 19 February.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/?channel=paidsearch&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3smABhCjARIsAKtrg6JHas9RVAGK3mji7cuSJa39O43GTP944QhiCGDDeOQAnVV_i85FlFQaAup3EALw_wcB

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2021, 08:10:05 AM »
Maybe I will see more than sparrows this year!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2021, 08:29:50 AM »
Maybe I will see more than sparrows this year!

Sparrows are on the red list so it's great that you have given them a safe place to live!  :)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/uk-conservation-status-explained/

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
Sparrows are on the red list so it's great that you have given them a safe place to live!  :)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/uk-conservation-status-explained/

Oh wow.  :o We've got loads and loads around here! Glad to see I can help.
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2021, 08:42:47 AM »
Oh wow.  :o We've got loads and loads around here! Glad to see I can help.

Keep doing what you're doing! They say that providing food is the best way to help them. :)

For some time now, it’s been clear that all is not well with our sparrows. Although still numerous, their overall population has fallen sharply, with a shocking 90% decline in London, meaning they are now on the red list, the highest level of conservation concern.

Worryingly, scientists aren’t sure why, but the RSPB has been involved in several long-running studies to find out. One project in Leicester found that sparrow chicks were suffering due to a lack of invertebrates, prompting a large-scale feeding experiment in London. This suggested that providing supplementary food helps support local house sparrows.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/our-success-stories/the-ubiquitous-sparrow/

• Liked: 957
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm so sad. My landlord just removed our hedge, that provided nesting space for blackbirds, Robins and others. Our backyard looks so bare now, and the only birds that have visited the feeder since are the coal tits that live in a little tree that was left. :(

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
I'm so sad. My landlord just removed our hedge, that provided nesting space for blackbirds, Robins and others. Our backyard looks so bare now, and the only birds that have visited the feeder since are the coal tits that live in a little tree that was left. :(

:\\\'(

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2021, 10:27:54 AM »

Oh that's horrible!
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »
In my hour, I have seen
1 Blackbird
2 Collared doves
4 House Sparrows
1 Robin
2 Starlings
2 Carrion Crows

And 3 chickens  ;D

We sometimes get Blue Tits and Coal tits, but not in my hour
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:20:58 PM by phatbeetle »
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
My hour was pretty quiet, but thankfully the regulars are slowly coming back even with the hedge missing.

3 magpies
1 coal tit (at least 6 live in the tree)
1 robin
2 blackbirds
1 wood pigeon

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
Great work guys!  :)

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2021, 09:42:34 AM »
My landlady took out our hedge, but somehow magically that increased the number of birdie visitors to our feeders!

I realised I misidentified 2 of the visitors that live in my tree, so I have Great Tits as well as Coal Tits. Couldn't see the yellow until it was up close and noticed it was a lot bigger than the coal tits with a black line down the belly. And now we have song thrush, a greenfinch, gold finch, long tailed tits, lots of magpies and pigeons, chaffinches, and blackbirds. We bought the feeder so my kitty would have a bit more entertainment out the windows, but its actually keeping me entertained too. Have learned so much about British birds!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
So my question today is....what kind of bird has a call that sounds like a squeaky toy? I keep hearing it but haven’t been able to see what bird is doing it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links