Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big Garden Bird Watch.  (Read 21955 times)

• Liked: 1891
Re: Big Garden Bird Watch.
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2022, 05:48:48 PM »
I don't know if I've mentioned "my" magpies, but I had a lot of enjoyment watching a pair of magpies clumsily build a nest in a tree outside my bedroom window back in the spring.  Back when my husband was in the other part of the house, I'd just sit at my computer and look out the window and laugh at what I thought were particularly stupid examples of the birds (it turns out mine weren't special; magpies just aren't very graceful).  Anyway, I formed an attachment to them.

Over the summer, my husband and I took most of our meals out in the garden, and when we went in at the end of each day, the magpies would clean up any food we dropped.

So to give them some semblance of a healthy diet, we bought bird feed.  Fatballs, mealworms, etc.  We started looking at feeders to put it in, and ultimately, my husband suggested I make one... so I did...

The magpies, who used to pick up entire fatballs and fly off with them, now won't go near our offerings (even though the feeder is filled with fat balls), and, in fact, they don't really visit the garden at all since we put it up at the weekend.  But the tits love it!

My husband is happy with this outcome, because he found the magpies amusing but far too destructive.  I'm a little sad that my magpies might feel abandoned, but I do prefer the robins and tits that are visiting now.

That's a great looking bird feeder. 

One day the whole family was around the dinner table and we heard this giant THWACK where a pigeon or something had flown into our plate glass window sliding door.  It was 10 feet or so away from us and the middle of the day, so we all saw it.  Almost immediately a magpie comes out of nowhere, grabs this bird that was almost his size and flies away.  We were all so stunned we could hardly talk all dinner.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 05:52:41 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2022, 11:01:52 PM »
One day the whole family was around the dinner table and we heard this giant THWACK where a pigeon or something had flown into our plate glass window sliding door.  It was 10 feet or so away from us and the middle of the day, so we all saw it.  Almost immediately a magpie comes out of nowhere, grabs this bird that was almost his size and flies away.  We were all so stunned we could hardly talk all dinner.

I've watched my magpies carry entire fat balls, whole eggs, huge sticks (for nest building), and as much food as they can cram into their beaks.  But carrying a large bird would've been impressive.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2022, 09:30:22 AM »

It was also impressive how fast the magpie got to it and picked it up.  Within 5 seconds! 

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2022, 06:34:10 PM »
Poor pigeon fed hungry magpie... nature wastes nothing...

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2022, 03:50:21 PM »
My bird is back!  :D  I don't get my hopes up now as he's an old boy but he made it home yesterday. Didn't see Mrs Bird until today, was relieved to see her too!   :)

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2022, 06:19:46 AM »
Great excitement in the garden yesterday!  A female Sparrowhawk spent the afternoon here.  :D

She was down on the ground and unfortunately (for the other bird) eating a freshly killed pigeon (RIP)
 A little later I came across her in another part of the garden, still down on the ground and by that time I was thinking that there must be something wrong with her. I went to get some more food for her but she flew away at that point. 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2022, 03:36:38 PM »
Due to bird flu I haven't put water out quite as much this summer but due to the heat made sure they have had fresh clean water (disinfected daily) and a bath available, and fresh seeds. The magpies are loving it and the young great tits are adorable. Have seen a few bees stop for a drink too.

« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2023, 09:28:52 AM »
It's big garden bird watch time again.  :)

Big Garden Birdwatch is fun, free and for everyone. And you don’t need a garden to take part! Counting birds from your balcony, or your local park will play a vital role in helping us understand how UK birds are doing. Sign up for your free guide and let's look out for birds together on 27-29 January.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/

« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2023, 08:59:29 AM »

Big Garden Birdwatch is fun, free and for everyone. And you don’t need a garden to take part! Counting birds from your balcony, or your local park will play a vital role in helping us understand how UK birds are doing. Sign up for your free guide and let's look out for birds together on 27-29 January.

It's not too late.  :)

How to take part in Big Garden Birdwatch
Taking part is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

1-Watch the birds around you for one hour.
2-Count how many of each species of bird lands on your patch.
3-Go online and tell us what you saw.

ID resources.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/globalassets/downloads/biggardenbirdwatch/2023/bgbw23-free-guide-pack_english.pdf?from=sign-up-TY

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/identify-a-bird/

• Liked: 342
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2023, 07:49:19 PM »

There is also "Nature's Calendar" from the Woodland Trust,  if anybody wants to help with those records?

"It's the longest written biological record of its kind with almost 3 million records spanning 300 years."

"Let us know what's happening near you, from emerging butterflies and baby birds to ripe berries. Your records will help scientists monitor the effects of weather and climate change on wildlife.

Take part in Nature's Calendar and you can tell us what you've spotted in three easy steps.

Choose a species and behaviour you'd like to look out for.
    Locate a spot where you'd like to record eg. your garden.
    Keep your eyes peeled and let us know any key dates. You can view your record instantly on the live maps."

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/things-to-do/natures-calendar/

"Have you seen your first butterfly or swallow of the spring? Is it a good year for wild autumn fruits? Take part in Nature's Calendar and help scientists to monitor the effects of climate change on wildlife. "

"Species we record: species type

The list of species you can record has been carefully selected by scientists to help us understand how wildlife is affected by weather and climate change.

Join in and let us know what's happening to these species near you.

Select each category below to see the species and events that you can record."

https://naturescalendar.woodlandtrust.org.uk/what-we-record-and-why/species-we-record/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:05:29 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2023, 08:43:47 AM »
That's great! Thanks @Sirius  :)

• Liked: 672
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2023, 10:45:28 PM »
I have a little guest sheltering on my balcony, out of the nor'easter we're having. S/he's been out there since sunup. Ok, well, when it got light - we haven't seen the sun in a few days now! There's a feeder full of birdseed out there as well. Actually, the last I checked there were four doves. Every few hours I notice there's another one. The poor things!

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2023, 08:42:23 PM »

• Liked: 672
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2023, 03:30:51 PM »
Very cool!    I really miss the wood pigeons.   :D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab