Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: International Moving Companies --a few pre-warnings before choosing  (Read 980 times)

• Liked: 35
We pretty much all know that moving is stressful.  Here's my tips for choosing a mover.

1. Research --check them out.  Search complaints.  Do a BBB check by googling the name then adding BBB complaints.
2.  Make a checklist.  "X" amount of this size box or tote. Size of your storage unit if have.  What furniture, etc
3.  Email price queries.
4.  Review & request phone calls.
5.  Have a list of specific questions.  Insist on every affirmative answer being written down by them & emailed to you for approval.

#5 is important.  If they won't commit to it in writing then don't believe anything they say.  If they truly want your business they'll back up their words.

Things to ask.  In no particular order

1. What size are the shipping crates.  Whatever the answer---shrink that by 25% because they're measured from the outside not the actual space inside.
1a.  I'm supplying all my own boxes. (They charge extra if you don't)
1b.  Will you be searching through my boxes or totes?
1c  Will you be wrapping my boxes/totes in extra paper? (This is a trick which makes your items larger so there's less room in the crates for everything)
2. Where will my items depart from.  Important if you're in the Pacific time zone.  If they say LA but won't write it down then it's probably really departing from the East coast.  Overland transport eats into your timeframe.
3. Total turnaround time.  If they say 90 days, get it in writing.
4.  What specific UK port will the ship dock in.  If you're up by Liverpool you don't want your things going to Felixstowe (other side of country).  If they say nothing goes into Liverpool --- hang up because Liverpool docks is one of the major shipping container ports of call for all over the world.
5. What UK company will be handling my shipment.  Before committing check whatever name is given with British Trading Standards for complaints.
6. What specific fees does your quote cover?  Docking? Storage? Customs?  This is a defo specific in writing thing if they say Yes.  Because the answer is really No.

Once you've choosen, here's another set of tips.

1.  Number everything.  Every box.  Every tote.  Everything.  Use a marker & write "1 of", "2 of", etc.  If it's something not boxed of some kind then tape on a paper slip & number that.  Once you're finished go back & write the final number after the word "of".  1 of 30, 2 of 30 etc.  You can also include your last name too.
2.  Make a checklist.  Box 1 has "X" inside.  Box 2 is "X".  It doesn't have to be everything inside it, just general.  Ex: kitchen utensils, clothing, bathroom etc
3.  Have Checklist on hand when they arrive to load up your things.  They're going to go around & put a tag of their own on everything.  They're going to create their own checklist.  You'll get a copy but it'll look like something written by a 3 year old using a crayon...with their foot.
     Oh--and make sure if they wrap anything that they put the tag on the wrapper & not inside on the item.
4.  Write down their tag number beside the corresponding number on your checklist.  If they can't see inside it they're going to ask what's in it.  They may open things to look inside.  Don't panic ---you're there to supervise what they're doing.  1b of my question list refers to when the items are out of your sight.
5. They're going to write down what you say is in everything.  Check over every single line they write before signing it.  If they're written something wrong --speak up & ask for it to be changed.  Don't be placated with "Oh it won't matter" or "It's just a reference" or any other line.
6.  And be VERY watchful of the "cheating" "drop line" on the checklists.  You know the one ---we all use it.  We write the words "green block" for example on a line then beneath it will be "green circle" so we make the single line or quote mark under the word "green" & write the second beside it.
7. When your items get to you remember to have your checklist so you can mark off what comes out of the truck.  It's a safe bet that you stuff is going to be in with other people's deliveries so you want to be sure you get everything. 

Why is #6 important? In short---because Customs is going to look at every line. And add up every set of "drop lines".  And you could end up with a hefty charge because of it.
I'll give you an example of what happened to me because of #5 & 6.

I boxed up 5 boxes of personal clothing ---shirts, jackets, trousers etc
I boxed up 3 boxes of personal bedding --sheets, blankets, towels etc
I boxed up 2 boxes of quilts
I boxed up 3 boxes of fabric

I told the packers what boxes held what.  They wrote down "Fabric" on one line because it was the last thing I said then did the "drop line" down 12 lines.  I didn't notice it.

Customs noticed it.  Customs checked every line.  Customs saw  13 boxes of "Fabric".  Customs wanted me to pay duty charges on 13 boxes of fabric.  Almost £10,000 I would've had to pay because the packer was lazy & mislabeled the checklist.

I'm hoping my tips will be helpful. 

• Liked: 680
Re: International Moving Companies --a few pre-warnings before choosing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
Yoiks!

Really.  Read everything carefully, and keep a copy.

We had 40 boxes of self-packed books in our crates. Fortunately, when I sent in my TOR request, I also sent along a spreadsheet that listed precisely what book (including edition, publisher, year published, condition, etc.) was in what box. Had no problem at all with that.

But also, on the wrapping. Getting an international wrap on your furniture is not necessarily a bad thing. We had some rickety furniture that our mover carefully wrapped (wedging other items in under it and around it) and it made it over in the sea crate just fine. I have strong suspicions it would not have made it over intact otherwise.  I'd side-eye wrapping totes and boxes, if they are going in a sea crate. But you definitely want anything that could be damaged if the ship hits rough seas to be as protected as possible.

I spoke with a half-dozen different companies. Some would not accept anything I'd packed. The one we went with accepted my boxes, but had to physically check to see what was in there because they sign off on the manifest as knowing what they are shipping. Also, they marked all my self-packed boxes as "company packed" so that they were covered by the company's insurance (which they otherwise would not have been).

But yeah, be sure you know precisely what you are buying. Moving house across the world isn't cheap, and you don't need any nasty surprises on the other end.

• Liked: 680
Re: International Moving Companies --a few pre-warnings before choosing
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:40:09 PM »
Oh. Duh. There's no VAT on books anyway!  ::)

Sponsored Links