Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My employment seeking journey filled with disrespectful UK employers  (Read 2011 times)

• Liked: 170
Re: My employment seeking journey filled with disrespectful UK employers
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »
JFKimberly,  This truly was a volunteer position.  And it did only involve setting papers down on each desk.  The description for the job said nothing about needing qualifications.  You wouldn't be in contact or interact with any pupils at any time according to them.  It was just taking a stack of papers & putting one upside down on every desk.  That's all.

In the 6 schools I've worked in, invigilating exams has always been a (poorly) paid position... how odd that this school had the gumphf to look for volunteers when this should be a paid position.

I'm sorry you're confronting this attitude. I am thankful to say I've never felt it so acutely. I have had a fair amount of no replies to applications, but that's about it. But I have UK qualifications and loads of UK experience on my CV now, not that I sound like it! I'm always asked how I am adjusting to life here, or the weather or whatever. I'm always like 'well, the first decade was tough, but the last four years have been much better...'
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »
From your description of the shoe shop experience, it sounds like some of it might be.   Most unsuccessful interviews end with some polite lies like "you live too far away" not an argument between the two parties.

Jimbocz,  I wasn't the one with the anger or negativity issues.  The man said I was Lazy Lying Thief.  What would your response to being called that have been?  Mine was to leave without stooping to his level of nastiness.

And most unsuccessful interviews end with the lies "We'll be in touch." or "We've a lot of other candidates to interview" or "Nice to have met you."

But thank you for your response.

You are welcome, and I hope that we can help solve your problem. 

I have no doubt that the shoeshop guy probably was a jerk, and probably lots of the other's you've dealt with as well.  But statistically, it's unlikely that they ALL were.   The only constant in all this is you and I'm afraid that the solution has to come from within you as well.  I've got a feeling that there's something going on here more than the usual "it takes a really long time to find a job" problem.  You've got to figure out what is souring all these encounters and stop it from happening. 

• Liked: 20
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »
You're not alone in having had challenges finding work in the UK. I've been here since May 2017, and all I've gotten was one one month part-time retail gig. I've applied to a lot of opportunities, from full time jobs in my field all the way to fixed term retail or festival jobs. I've tried to get a few part-time voluntary roles, but I haven't been eligible as they wanted UK referees. Right now I'm finally in the final round for a FT professional job I'm particularly well qualified for- I'll find out in the next few days if I got it!

My partner (Canadian) got a couple of brief summer temporary jobs when we first arrived and finally got a permanent, professional offer one year after we arrived. However, we had to relocate to a much higher COL area for him to take it and are lucky we could move.

My partner and I both registered as self-employed and have/had freelance clients, which is how we survived for so long without permanent jobs. It'd be more ideal if I had a regular job, especially in the higher COL area, but freelancing at least brings  in some income, keeps my CV current, and fulfills the requirement to work my particular visa has. Any chance you have connections with companies back in the US that might contract with you remotely for some freelance projects?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab