Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Transmission limitations upon arrival?  (Read 629 times)

• Liked: 0
Transmission limitations upon arrival?
« on: January 31, 2019, 01:02:41 AM »
I just submitted my visa application last night and will be attending my biometrics appointment on Tuesday! Assuming all goes to plan and I enter the UK in the next few months I had some question regarding driving in the UK.

I hold an United States license and from what I understand I am able to drive on my license for up to a year once I enter the UK.
I also read that I do need to get my provisional in order to take my UK driving test but can contuine to drive as normal up to the year.
I also know that in the UK manuals are everywhere and that you need to pass on a manual in order to hold a manual and automatic license.

Which leads me to my question that I haven't seen posted anywhere! In the first year that I am able to drive in the UK, do I have limitations on manual vs automatic? I'm curious because transmission is irrelevant in the states. A licenese is a license. Can I legally drive a manual by myself my first year or am I limited to automatics?

I do plan on getting a manual licenese so I will need some lessons and I intend to do so sooner rather then later, so hopefully I won't be waiting the full year. Just want to make sure I'm following the law while set loose on an American license!

Thanks for all your help!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Transmission limitations upon arrival?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:31 AM »
You can drive a manual or an automatic on your US license in that first year.  :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 04:33:01 AM »
You can drive a manual or an automatic on your US license in that first year.  :)

Thank you so much!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:06 AM »
If you drive manual in the US, I'd definitely recommend a couple lessons to get used to both driving on the other side and shifting with your left hand. But during that first year you can drive either. I couldn't get used to left hand shifting, I may try again in the future. I took the test in my own automatic car after about 10 hrs of lessons just to learn how to pass the test here. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
Based on the title of your thread alone,  I thought your query was going to be about money transmission bank accounts, and was wondering why you'd posted it in the transport section!  LOL!

You might be interested to know (for future reference, once you arrive in the UK), the thing that changes gears in a car is a gearbox, rather than a transmission!  :)  You might get some blank, uncomprehending looks if you say transmission over here...

Good luck with your visa and your move!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab