Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: currently in NC moving to Scotland  (Read 2455 times)

• Liked: 1
currently in NC moving to Scotland
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »
My husband, son and I are trying to navigate the visa process and move to Scotland. I'm the citizen- naturalized but not yet resident. We're in North Carolina but have lived all over the US. Trying not to freak out about Brexit and remember everything I love about Scotland from visiting family over the years. Something about out of the frying pan into the fire keeps going thru my head but we'll all get thru this. Anyway, I'm grateful for this forum and all the knowledge and friendliness here.

• Liked: 6110
Re: currently in NC moving to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
My husband, son and I are trying to navigate the visa process and move to Scotland. I'm the citizen- naturalized but not yet resident. We're in North Carolina but have lived all over the US. Trying not to freak out about Brexit and remember everything I love about Scotland from visiting family over the years. Something about out of the frying pan into the fire keeps going thru my head but we'll all get thru this. Anyway, I'm grateful for this forum and all the knowledge and friendliness here.

Welcome to the forum! There are quite a few forum members living in Scotland and loving it.  :)

And just pop over to the visa section when you're ready with your questions.  :)

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:21:26 PM »
Will do and Thank you,
I should add my name is Lesley. Kinda forgot that bit, heh.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
Hiya.

Moved to Stirling from just outside of Raleigh nearly 2 years ago. Absolutely love living here. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
How are you enjoying the transition? I'm not a longtime NC resident. We moved to Durham almost 5 years ago. Raleigh is lovely and I remember Stirling to be quite beautiful.
Outside of my family, my experience has been that Scots are very friendly and inclusive. But again, I was with family so that may have colored my perception and/or reception.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
How are you enjoying the transition? I'm not a longtime NC resident. We moved to Durham almost 5 years ago. Raleigh is lovely and I remember Stirling to be quite beautiful.
Outside of my family, my experience has been that Scots are very friendly and inclusive. But again, I was with family so that may have colored my perception and/or reception.
I don't have young kids that I had to integrate and my husband is Scottish, never been to America.  Lol

I was born and raised in Florida but also spent 5 years in Connecticut and 5 years in Ohio.

My only annoyances are things like my flat being too small, tiny kitchen, no dryer, etc.

I'm one to transition easily. I was married to a submarine sailor for almost 20 years. I had to learn to be independent and flexible. I learned to roll with the punches and learned nothing is ever set in stone.

As for Scotland itself and her people. I'm absolutely in love with all of it. The Scots are lovely and I've been welcomed warmly by my new family and my coworkers and customers. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:32:26 AM »
Welcome!

I moved to Peterhead/Aberdeen area in May 2018. Love it! Currently still have about two inches of snow on the ground from Monday  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
Welcome! :)
Visa Type: Spouse Visa
Priority Service: Yes
Online app submitted: 8th Nov 2018
Biometrics & docs sent: 13th Nov 2018
Application delivered in NY: 14th Nov 2018
Application received email from Sheffield: 18th Nov 2018
Request for "documents": 13th Dec 2018
Decision made email: 18th Dec 2018
Passport received: 22nd Dec 2018 (APPROVED!)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 12:04:44 PM »
Welcome!
Glasgow here, love it, wouldn't go back unless they throw me out.  ;)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »
I don't live in Scotland but if I had to move anywhere else outside of where I currently live, I would TOTALLY move to Scotland. It's absolutely lovely and the people are some of the best!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 14
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 07:37:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.   I'm Mass. born n bred ...
Live in the Fife region of Scotland. Love it here. :)

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:58:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for replying!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Hello! I am from upstate New York but living around Elgin area. If you are anywhere around there let me know! It’s gorgeous and I’ve got to say I don’t miss the winters that last about 5 months. 2 months is pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 9
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:53 AM »
Welcome.  I recently moved back from Apex NC to Stirling.  Absolutely love it here in Scotland, despite being a Mancunian by birth.  Easy to forget about Brexit when you are standing on mountain tops enjoying the views and weather  :)  We don't miss the hot and humid June thru October weather of NC despite living over there for 25 years, and we certainly don't miss the slithery creatures that made you look carefully where you put your feet when hiking.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Welcome.  I recently moved back from Apex NC to Stirling.  Absolutely love it here in Scotland, despite being a Mancunian by birth.  Easy to forget about Brexit when you are standing on mountain tops enjoying the views and weather  :)  We don't miss the hot and humid June thru October weather of NC despite living over there for 25 years, and we certainly don't miss the slithery creatures that made you look carefully where you put your feet when hiking.

And welcome to you Q!  :)

You and @nctami72  should get together, she's in Stirling!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab