Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A better way to eat beans  (Read 1401 times)

• Liked: 585
A better way to eat beans
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
Even after all the years I've lived in the UK,  I have never learned to like baked beans, and the thought of having them on my breakfast plate actually sickens me.  I like beans well enough...its that horrible tomato sauce that ruins it. I've often thought if they were in a different sauce they'd be ok.

Today i was having a wee mooch through the kitchen cupboards and saw a sad little tin of cannellini beans. And then i saw a packet of Pioneer country gravy mix. And then i saw the jar of Mrs Renfro's jalapeno green salsa... [smiley=idea2.gif] [smiley=idea2.gif] [smiley=idea2.gif]

I made the gravy, added the drained beans, a few spoons of the salsa, and seasoned with salt & pepper.  Then threw in a handful of grated cheese, and that was it.

Completely delicious, and if I'd only learn to make the country gravy from scratch instead using the expensive packet mix, this could be a regular thing for me!  ;D

• Liked: 768
Re: A better way to eat beans
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
I've only made baked beans here a couple of times but I always make them like I make them in the US.

Base of bacon, onion, green peppers fried, then the canned beans plus sometimes a can of pinto beans thrown in. Then mustard, brown sugar and let them cook away.

I could never eat those nasty beans right from the can.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
Beans, beans,
the Musical Food....

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:30 AM »
Someone brought in a bean casserole thing to a pot luck at work once... one of the best things I've ever eaten!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
That sounds yummy albatross!
Not hard to make country gravy albatross, it's very much like bechamel. You can do it!  ;D

Mmmm, nctami72,  I love proper baked beans.  I may need to make some really soon.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 11:18:36 AM »
Tami, I think your taste in beans is different from mine... I like them creamy/cheesy & spicy... not sweet.  And I don't like mustard either, so your recipe wouldn't work for me.  :(
(never ate baked beans in the US, either).

Definitely getting my protein in.... I ate those creamy gravy beans all day yesterday, and again for breakfast with added edamame!

PB, I've never had much success in gravy-making, but I might give it another try sometime!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »
Beans, beans,
the Musical Food....

I've been wondering about this for the whole day.  What rhymes with food that has to do with farting?

The version I know is Beans, Beans, the magical fruit....

• Liked: 154
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
I've been wondering about this for the whole day.  What rhymes with food that has to do with farting?

The version I know is Beans, Beans, the magical fruit....

Lol taught the kid this recently she thinks it’s hilarious

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
I've only made baked beans here a couple of times but I always make them like I make them in the US.

Base of bacon, onion, green peppers fried, then the canned beans plus sometimes a can of pinto beans thrown in. Then mustard, brown sugar and let them cook away.

Nice cheat I learned, get some regular baked beans in can , fry up some smoked bacon and crumble into beans, add some molasses until bean broth darkens up, (or molasses sugar from asda) and a squeeze of yellow mustard , and Viola!  just like B&M Baked beans. Now if I could find the brown bread in a can  ;D (pretty sure its a new england delicacy)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »

Nice cheat I learned, get some regular baked beans in can , fry up some smoked bacon and crumble into beans, add some molasses until bean broth darkens up, (or molasses sugar from asda) and a squeeze of yellow mustard , and Viola!  just like B&M Baked beans. Now if I could find the brown bread in a can  ;D (pretty sure its a new england delicacy)
I sent PhatBeetle a can of B&M brown bread I brought back from the US for her.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 04:05:59 PM »
I remember thinking baked beans were such a weird thing to have for breakfast I still think they are but after living her for 17 years I’ve gotten used to it I even make them with sausage and mash. I like cottage cheese on top of my beans
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:21 AM »
Yes, thank you tami for sending me the  B&M Bread!!!  I haven't eaten it, but I think I need to make up a pot of baked beans and have it!

And well, look jimbo, I'm not the only one who likes bread in can!  Drewshere is with me too!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »

We can work something out:

Beans, beans,
The magical food,
You think you're farting,
Oh no! You've pooed!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
We can work something out:

Beans, beans,
The magical food,
You think you're farting,
Oh no! You've pooed!

Mate, you've gone native. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab