Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Jeremy Vine  (Read 7658 times)

• Liked: 216
Jeremy Vine
« on: February 07, 2019, 10:39:25 AM »
So, I’ve gotten into a routine of watching Jeremy Vine in the mornings. Anyway, I commented on Facebook about this morning’s topic regarding the citizenship test and they featured my comment!! Shortened it a bit but used it nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 1260
Re: Jeremy Vine
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:12:58 AM »
So, I’ve gotten into a routine of watching Jeremy Vine in the mornings. Anyway, I commented on Facebook about this morning’s topic regarding the citizenship test and they featured my comment!! Shortened it a bit but used it nonetheless!

haha nice. If only there was a caveat in there that said PLEASE DON'T TEST US ON OBSCURE KNOWLEDGE THAT EVEN BRITS HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT! lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
haha nice. If only there was a caveat in there that said PLEASE DON'T TEST US ON OBSCURE KNOWLEDGE THAT EVEN BRITS HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT! lol

Funny, that’s exactly what they were talking about. All of the random things that Brits don’t even know. And then they sent a reporter out on the streets to test it out. No one got any answers correct!! LOL!!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
Funny, that’s exactly what they were talking about. All of the random things that Brits don’t even know. And then they sent a reporter out on the streets to test it out. No one got any answers correct!! LOL!!

I got more answers correct on the tests than the majority of people around me (in-laws/colleagues/etc.) could get!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »
I got more answers correct on the tests than the majority of people around me (in-laws/colleagues/etc.) could get!

I can believe that! They put us outsiders through the ringer!

So on the show, they were also asking if Brits should have to take a similar test and if they don’t pass, then they get their NHS benefits cut or some other penalty. I thought that idea was ludicrous. I mean, if you’re born here then you’re born here and you shouldn’t have to pay for a test to prove you’re British enough. LOL!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
I can believe that! They put us outsiders through the ringer!

So on the show, they were also asking if Brits should have to take a similar test and if they don’t pass, then they get their NHS benefits cut or some other penalty. I thought that idea was ludicrous. I mean, if you’re born here then you’re born here and you shouldn’t have to pay for a test to prove you’re British enough. LOL!

hahah yeah I know I couldn't answer loads of questions they ask for the US citizenship test, I'm sure! When you live in a country and have citizenship through birth, I think you kind of get the luxury of not needing to know some of that stuff (even if you should). I imagine they were just looking to drive the point home of how ridiculous it is to say that people should easily be able to pass these tests when it's questions they wouldn't even have a clue about
My, how time flies....

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
hahah yeah I know I couldn't answer loads of questions they ask for the US citizenship test, I'm sure! When you live in a country and have citizenship through birth, I think you kind of get the luxury of not needing to know some of that stuff (even if you should). I imagine they were just looking to drive the point home of how ridiculous it is to say that people should easily be able to pass these tests when it's questions they wouldn't even have a clue about

Yeah, exactly. And I think most people agreed that general knowledge of useful, important things is good. The rest is pure rubbish.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
Yeah, exactly. And I think most people agreed that general knowledge of useful, important things is good. The rest is pure rubbish.

Completely! Ask me questions about parliament or holidays or locations in the country, ect....Even ask me about the history of the monarchy! Buuuuuut why, oh why, are you asking me about specific population in a given location from 400+ years ago?
My, how time flies....

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 12:56:14 PM »
Completely! Ask me questions about parliament or holidays or locations in the country, ect....Even ask me about the history of the monarchy! Buuuuuut why, oh why, are you asking me about specific population in a given location from 400+ years ago?

One of the questions that they discussed on the show was Oscar related! WTH??? Like “which one of these British actresses has not won an Oscar?” Ummm... is that for real?!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 01:08:21 PM »
One of the questions that they discussed on the show was Oscar related! WTH??? Like “which one of these British actresses has not won an Oscar?” Ummm... is that for real?!

Not to mention it's not guaranteed to NOT have changed by the time the test is taken lol

They also could ask about who won particular, obscure art awards and stuff and I just think to myself "I'm not sure why this question is on here??? It's not about a song or painting that went on to have a big meaning within the UK....If you're not into art, why do you need to know this??" But, ho-hum.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:03 PM »
Not to mention it's not guaranteed to NOT have changed by the time the test is taken lol

They also could ask about who won particular, obscure art awards and stuff and I just think to myself "I'm not sure why this question is on here??? It's not about a song or painting that went on to have a big meaning within the UK....If you're not into art, why do you need to know this??" But, ho-hum.

So strange. I wonder who comes up with the actual test questions... hmm...

• Liked: 585
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »
I LOATHE JEREMY VINE!!
I do sometimes watch his TV show or listen to his radio programme just to further fuel my hatred, though.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »
I LOATHE JEREMY VINE!!
I do sometimes watch his TV show or listen to his radio programme just to further fuel my hatred, though.

Ha ha!!! Why do you hate him so? I’ve heard he’s a bit polarizing. I like him but I think I just take him with a grain of salt. I like watching the show just to hear the differing opinions on the panel regarding current events.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
I can't give a reasonable explanation of why I hate him, but I can almost guarantee that every. single. time. I listen to or watch his programme, he will say something that makes me rage, cringe or despair and wonder why he still has this job.  For example, I listened to his radio show yesterday for the first time in a wee while and do you know what his topic was?

If a company closes down (like the Honda factory in Swindon) or has mass redundancies, should the people who voted to leave Europe in the Brexit referendum be the first to lose their jobs, and should they put their hand up and volunteer to give up their jobs in favour of their colleagues who voted remain.

Really???  How are they going to enforce this?  How will they know which of their staff voted leave, and which voted remain?  Ridiculous.

Several years ago I remember he did a topic on the price of fuel and he asked listeners 'with fuel getting so expensive what will you do with your cars?'  And the examples he gave were stupid things like 'will you use it to store garden tools, or turn it into a greenhouse' etc.   I'm sure he was doing it in a tongue-in-cheek fashion but come on.  It was a serious matter which affects everyone,  and is hitting a lot of poorly-paid people really hard, so I think it was in questionable taste for him to be so flippant about it. 

And I feel like quite often, he isn't actually listening when his callers are speaking, because he often will ask them a question which they've already given the answer to.

He's just annoying.   Wish C5 could bring back Matthew Wright for the TV show.  :\\\'(

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »
Oh, and don't get me started on his election results programmes.... especially the one a few years back where he wore a cowboy hat or something like that, as I recall.  ::)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab