Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inbound - no UK credit - still need Internets!  (Read 1430 times)

• Liked: 0
Inbound - no UK credit - still need Internets!
« on: February 12, 2019, 11:18:43 AM »
Could use some help/advice.

I am taking an ICT to UK.  I move in a month and have just signed a Tenancy Agreement.  While I have an appointment with HSBC to set up a new bank account the day after I arrive (have all necessary documents), I have just hit a brick wall regarding getting broadband set up. 

I want to go to Virgin but the moment they find out I don't have a UK account the reps basically hang up and everyone wants a 12+ month contract.  I don't have a problem with a contract with Virgin as they offer a connection speed that's high enough (I VPN and work virtually all over the world, so a 100Mb connection is required) but if I have to wait a month before they can install, I need a provider without contract to carry me over. 

Any advice?

• Liked: 957
Re: Inbound - no UK credit - still need Internets!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:49 AM »
Can your company help you set up the broadband if it's required for your job?

If you have enough money, you might be able to use the international banking center at HSBC to set up an account before you move. It could be worth investigating. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:25:56 AM »
Could use some help/advice.

I am taking an ICT to UK.  I move in a month and have just signed a Tenancy Agreement.  While I have an appointment with HSBC to set up a new bank account the day after I arrive (have all necessary documents), I have just hit a brick wall regarding getting broadband set up. 

I want to go to Virgin but the moment they find out I don't have a UK account the reps basically hang up and everyone wants a 12+ month contract.  I don't have a problem with a contract with Virgin as they offer a connection speed that's high enough (I VPN and work virtually all over the world, so a 100Mb connection is required) but if I have to wait a month before they can install, I need a provider without contract to carry me over. 

Any advice?

I don't know if this helps?

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/broadband/pay-as-you-go-broadband

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:40 PM »

Don't be fooled by "high speed fibre broadband" that actually is just slow ADSL.  The trick is that the fibre goes to the green box at the end of your street, so that makes it "fibre". 

Are you certain that Virgin actually can run a fiber to your house?  They can't in quite a lot of places but will happily tell you anything to get you to sign up.   Even if they can, a month to get that set up is optimistic.  Mine was a several months long ordeal of several complicated layers of incompetence.  I know I sound crazy and bitter, but you'll understand later.

Anyway, BT can also sell you a real fibre connection and may be more inclined to talk to you.  Unfortunately, they will probably be even more money grubbing and incompetent than Virgin.  Plusnet are actually owned by BT but are pretty good.  Not sure if they offer actual fibre. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
I went a month without internet when I arrived.  It sucked but it was the first date they could install.  I just did anything I needed before I left the office.

Honestly that was such a small complaint in comparison to trying to set up the rest of my life here, I had actually forgotten about it.  Ahh, bureaucracy!   ;D

• Liked: 768
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 08:49:02 PM »
I was just thinking that engineers to get anything set up are in short supply. There is a UK wide career shortage. You may be waiting awhille anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 718
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
I went a month without internet when I arrived.  It sucked but it was the first date they could install.  I just did anything I needed before I left the office.

Honestly that was such a small complaint in comparison to trying to set up the rest of my life here, I had actually forgotten about it.  Ahh, bureaucracy!   ;D

Same here when we first arrived. But there are cafes with WiFi all over the place to use for important stuff.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »
Same here when we first arrived. But there are cafes with WiFi all over the place to use for important stuff.

And - though it can be expensive - you can tether a lot easier now a-days! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links