Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Dreaded Job-Hunt  (Read 4618 times)

• Liked: 14
Re: The Dreaded Job-Hunt
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 11:47:55 PM »
It’s so hard to land that first UK job! I thought that it would be easy since I did have some experience working here in 2002/2003 when I was here on something called a BUNAC visa for 6 months. It did not make a bit of difference as it was so long ago, nor did the fact that while studying for my BA in Psychology (oh my goodness I feel you with this one) I actually spent 2 semesters here at a UK university. Just keep plugging away, get yourself a few driving lessons to help with roundabouts and confidence, and go easy on yourself. I started volunteering, and then got my first crappy job. Now, I have a job I love and feel like a have a career (and I kinda sorta use that degree). Good luck!

Thank you.  What kind of job do you do now, if you don't mind me asking?

Update on the overall situation... I applied for 30 jobs over the last week.  Got a few rejection emails.  Had a recruiter call me  last week, and then again today, about three different roles they will put me forward for.  Also have a job interview this Friday!!  I'm not so confident about it... it's for a company that sells car parts, and I know nothing about cars.  It's an office admin job, though, and they say that training is provided... so we'll see what happens.  It was SO NICE to get those two calls today!  I was feeling quite depressed this weekend.  At least SOME progress has been made.

Going to a job fair for a nearby shopping center on Thursday as well.  Looks like mostly restaurant jobs, but I'm gonna check it out anyway.  You never know.

And I'm trying to apply for a few jobs every day.  Trying to keep my spirits up and keep plugging away.  Easier said than done!
Will sell soul for Duke's Mayonnaise.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 05:10:25 AM »
Which recruiter did you go with? Congratulations on the interview!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 07:52:21 AM »
That sounds like a really productive week.  Also, any interview is good and I wouldn't worry about having car knowledge.  They saw your CV and that obviously didn't bother them.  You'll do great.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 10:48:24 AM »

Update on the overall situation... I applied for 30 jobs over the last week.  Got a few rejection emails.  Had a recruiter call me  last week, and then again today, about three different roles they will put me forward for.  Also have a job interview this Friday!!  I'm not so confident about it... it's for a company that sells car parts, and I know nothing about cars.  It's an office admin job, though, and they say that training is provided... so we'll see what happens.  It was SO NICE to get those two calls today!  I was feeling quite depressed this weekend.  At least SOME progress has been made.

Going to a job fair for a nearby shopping center on Thursday as well.  Looks like mostly restaurant jobs, but I'm gonna check it out anyway.  You never know.

And I'm trying to apply for a few jobs every day.  Trying to keep my spirits up and keep plugging away.  Easier said than done!

Pleased to hear you've had some interviews lined up :)

I wouldn't worry about working for a company that sells car parts and knowing nothing about cars...If you're doing admin and not sales, you don't need to know about cars to do that (but it's helpful to do your research and know about the company). Even if you don't feel confident, I would strongly suggest a "fake it til you make it approach". Know you're good/qualified and know your worth and go in there and confidently represent yourself even if you feel less than confident deep down. I think employers/hiring managers can sometimes tell when a person doesn't feel confident and it can end up working against you. You'll rock this :)   

If it helps, my friend got a job at a company who auctions off cars. She knows nothing of cars either. It's a lot of admin work and customer interaction when she's worked at the counter collecting money, etc., but they didn't care in the slightest that she didn't know about cars because she's not a mechanic or appraiser, or sales person for the car.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 12:09:40 AM »
Which recruiter did you go with? Congratulations on the interview!

Its called Agenda Partnership.  I've been applying mostly on indeed.co.uk.  Sometimes the jobs posted are from recruiters.  I've applied to jobs via several recruiters... Adecco, Office Angels, several others I can't remember... this one actually seems to want to help me find a job.  She's called several times... and one of the jobs she put me forward for is going to interview me this coming Wednesday!  So that's two interviews booked.  :) 

I have an unrelated question for anyone who might know:  Would I pass a DBS background check, having only been in the country for four months?  Some of the jobs I'm interested in require it.  Not sure if I'd pass or not, being new to the country.  Anyone have insight on this?

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
Its called Agenda Partnership.  I've been applying mostly on indeed.co.uk.  Sometimes the jobs posted are from recruiters.  I've applied to jobs via several recruiters... Adecco, Office Angels, several others I can't remember... this one actually seems to want to help me find a job.  She's called several times... and one of the jobs she put me forward for is going to interview me this coming Wednesday!  So that's two interviews booked.  :) 

I have an unrelated question for anyone who might know:  Would I pass a DBS background check, having only been in the country for four months?  Some of the jobs I'm interested in require it.  Not sure if I'd pass or not, being new to the country.  Anyone have insight on this?

I don’t believe you’ll have an issue. I got a job within a month of being here (though back in 2013) and had no issues with the lower level checks/clearances. You just won’t qualify for anything like SC or DV clearance but checks into you like DBS should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »

I work as a children’s support worker in a women’s refuge. I work with children who have experienced domestic violence (both in the refuge and in schools, as we take community referrals as well) for 6-8 weeks as short term, focused support. I absolutely love my job and finally feel like I have found my place. I did residential work in the US and it was just...too much. 

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 10:43:16 PM »
I work as a children’s support worker in a women’s refuge. I work with children who have experienced domestic violence (both in the refuge and in schools, as we take community referrals as well) for 6-8 weeks as short term, focused support. I absolutely love my job and finally feel like I have found my place. I did residential work in the US and it was just...too much.

Does that require specific qualifications? That sounds like a very fulfilling job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »

Oh wow, I'd LOVE a job doing something like that.  I did an internship looooooong ago with the Medical Univ. of SC, working on a program that helped abused kids access the services they need.  I didn't really have much actual contact with the kids, but just being involed with the program was fulfilling.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 02:06:58 PM »
Well I just had the interview at the auto parts place.  It lasted all of 15 minutes, ha ha.  The guy was very friendly, but kind of a goofball... clearly not an experienced interviewer.  But I asked whether my lack of knowledge about cars would hurt, and he said no. So... we'll see! Looks like if I got the job, I'd be the only female in an office full of young, car-crazy guys. Hmmm.  I have another interview this coming Wednesday! 

Gonna hole up in a cafe for a few hours and send out more apps.  Then try to enjoy the weekend without stressing so much.  :)  Thanks for your support, everyone.  It's nice to have people to talk to about this.  I don't have any real-life friends here yet.  (Another hurdle to cross, but I'll worry about that later.)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »
Well I just had the interview at the auto parts place.  It lasted all of 15 minutes, ha ha.  The guy was very friendly, but kind of a goofball... clearly not an experienced interviewer.  But I asked whether my lack of knowledge about cars would hurt, and he said no. So... we'll see! Looks like if I got the job, I'd be the only female in an office full of young, car-crazy guys. Hmmm.  I have another interview this coming Wednesday! 

Gonna hole up in a cafe for a few hours and send out more apps.  Then try to enjoy the weekend without stressing so much.  :)  Thanks for your support, everyone.  It's nice to have people to talk to about this.  I don't have any real-life friends here yet.  (Another hurdle to cross, but I'll worry about that later.)

That actually sounds like a great place to work!  Laid back = awesome.  Good luck on Wednesday!

I'm at six years and one month in the UK, now, and I don't have any local friends.  Like, nobody I would want to phone up to go do some fun thing with while my husband was at work.  So I don't go do fun things.  I am boring.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »
That actually sounds like a great place to work!  Laid back = awesome.  Good luck on Wednesday!

I'm at six years and one month in the UK, now, and I don't have any local friends.  Like, nobody I would want to phone up to go do some fun thing with while my husband was at work.  So I don't go do fun things.  I am boring.  :P

Where do you live?  If it's near me I'm more than willing to meet up sometime!  I'm in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.

Yeah, the guy said it was a relaxed place to work.  I'm just worried about being seen as the dumb chick who knows nothing about cars...

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
Where do you live?  If it's near me I'm more than willing to meet up sometime!  I'm in Wellingborough, Northamptonshire.

Yeah, the guy said it was a relaxed place to work.  I'm just worried about being seen as the dumb chick who knows nothing about cars...

I'm not near anybody, really.  Southwest Wales, about halfway between Llanelli and Carmarthen.  Or, as I said in my description (<-- ), "End of the M4 and then a bit more."

When I was in grad school, I responded to a help wanted ad where they were looking for "a computer person".  I figured, if that was as much as they knew to describe the job, I was probably qualified, so I applied.  It turned out to be a job in the sales office of a local company that stamped metal parts for automotive repair.  Door panels, floor pans, etc.  I didn't know anything about cars before I worked there, but I learned a lot as I went.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »
JFK, I still say you guys just need to move to Scotland  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
JFK, I still say you guys just need to move to Scotland  :D

If I could move our sieve house up there, I totally would.  So many of UKY are up there.  And Ooni HQ is in Edinburgh... I'd come out of retirement to work for them.

Sponsored Links