Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Dreaded Job-Hunt  (Read 4613 times)

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 5
Re: The Dreaded Job-Hunt
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2019, 12:48:52 PM »
Does that require specific qualifications? That sounds like a very fulfilling job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No specific qualifications, mostly experience with children and in support work would be helpful. One coworker is a former adult support worker, one is a former nursery nurse, one used to be a family support worker. It’s incredibly fulfilling, I feel like I’m doing work that I am meant to do. I work with some amazing families!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
No specific qualifications, mostly experience with children and in support work would be helpful. One coworker is a former adult support worker, one is a former nursery nurse, one used to be a family support worker. It’s incredibly fulfilling, I feel like I’m doing work that I am meant to do. I work with some amazing families!

So envious!

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 14
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 09:55:43 PM »
Well, I haven't heard back from Friday's interview, and I'm actually kind of glad.  I don't think it's the job for me.  Have another interview tomorrow.  Hopefully it will be a bit more professional.  Also, one of my husband's colleague gave me the name of a recruiter.  She'd used them to get a new job recently, and spoke highly of them.  They called me back today, and I'm going to meet with the lady who deals with my area on Friday.  So... more progress. :)

Continuing to fill out 3-8 apps a day, continuing to try and not freak out.  We have enough to pay rent until the end of the year, so surely SOMETHING will transpire in that time, right?  Heh. 
Will sell soul for Duke's Mayonnaise.

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 11:03:27 PM »
Well, I haven't heard back from Friday's interview, and I'm actually kind of glad.  I don't think it's the job for me.  Have another interview tomorrow.  Hopefully it will be a bit more professional.  Also, one of my husband's colleague gave me the name of a recruiter.  She'd used them to get a new job recently, and spoke highly of them.  They called me back today, and I'm going to meet with the lady who deals with my area on Friday.  So... more progress. :)

Continuing to fill out 3-8 apps a day, continuing to try and not freak out.  We have enough to pay rent until the end of the year, so surely SOMETHING will transpire in that time, right?  Heh.

Don’t assume you won’t hear back about he other job just because you haven’t heard back yet. Remember, it’s only really been 2 full working days...they may have other people interviewing as well so will want to wait until all interviews are done before making a decision. Things move veerrryy slow here for the recruitment process. If you don’t want the role, that’s totally fine, but don’t count it out of the race yet just because you’ve not heard yet - it’s totally normal :)

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
This totally fits my experience, I'll go weeks without hearing anything and then get a call out of the blue with a job offer.

Are you using Internet job sites like fish for jobs? I'm not sure about the non tech world, but I use the tech version of those sites constantly.

By the way, when asked about my visa status, I avoid complications by just saying "I am the same as a British person " which is true for me.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »
Hey jimbocz - any tips on good tech sites? Other Half is looking as hes getting absolutely screwed over on salary right now and its time for a move. He does big data ingestion engines and some architecture - lots of Java and Python.

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »

The absolute biggest and best:
https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/Job-Search/

The runner up:
https://www.jobsite.co.uk/

There's a bunch of smaller ones, but they are mostly useless. 

Those skills are in demand right now, might be a good time for him to look around.

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2019, 07:28:21 AM »
Solid - thanks! Just found three jobs right off the bat that are an insanely good fit for him.... at 80% more than what he is currently paid. I know he likes his team and all, but the owner is an ass who is apparently still holding a grudge from two years ago for something that wasn't partners fault. Frankly Im tired of subsidizing this guy's business through partner's labor, especially when hes working 55 hours a week and solving some very difficult issues that make the company look good and put them in line for some big contracts.... and doesn't get a thank you, bonus, perks, or raise out of it!

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »
Solid - thanks! Just found three jobs right off the bat that are an insanely good fit for him.... at 80% more than what he is currently paid. I know he likes his team and all, but the owner is an ass who is apparently still holding a grudge from two years ago for something that wasn't partners fault. Frankly Im tired of subsidizing this guy's business through partner's labor, especially when hes working 55 hours a week and solving some very difficult issues that make the company look good and put them in line for some big contracts.... and doesn't get a thank you, bonus, perks, or raise out of it!

That sounds about par for the course, the most loyal employees who have been there the longest always end up with the worst deals.

Good luck to your partner in his search.  Has he ever considered contracting?  It's not right for everyone, but if it suits him he could do well.

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
That sounds about par for the course, the most loyal employees who have been there the longest always end up with the worst deals.

Good luck to your partner in his search.  Has he ever considered contracting?  It's not right for everyone, but if it suits him he could do well.
It irritates me that I can Be internally promoted and get a 10% pay rise while somebody externally can get 25-30% more at a minimum for the role. No point in loyalty really. Yes smarter to move around over here

My, how time flies....

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:43 AM »
He has - although I have a good friend up in Scotland who does business analyst stuff who will only do contracting and hes having a bit of a tough time right now finding a new gig, so a little apprehensive. Also, with my work situation, having him in permanent role right now would be preferable, but in the future I can imagine there will be quite a bit of demand for his skills on a contract basis.

Also, partner hates looking for jobs, so if we can get him settled into something with growth prospects that may be preferable!

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »
It irritates me that I can Be internally promoted and get a 10% pay rise while somebody externally can get 25-30% more at a minimum for the role. No point in loyalty really. Yes smarter to move around over here

I saw that in the US too though, at a major employer where it was better for your career to leave and return to get a higher title and salary. Everyone knew it was stupid but it was somehow accepted.

I think here, for partner, its just a symptom of really sh*t UK management. For these skills its a hot job market and yet they are screwing not only with his salary but the rest of the team as well, all of whom can walk out tomorrow and maybe go a month before landing something much better.

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »
I saw that in the US too though, at a major employer where it was better for your career to leave and return to get a higher title and salary. Everyone knew it was stupid but it was somehow accepted.

I think here, for partner, its just a symptom of really sh*t UK management. For these skills its a hot job market and yet they are screwing not only with his salary but the rest of the team as well, all of whom can walk out tomorrow and maybe go a month before landing something much better.

I just never understand how that makes sense. They make a big show of “promote internally” but you actually screw yourself by doing that. For example, at my office, they tell me I need to have more experience in an area I can develop on the job but that once I get that experience I can get to the next level up role (and it’ll be 10-15% max payrise)....ooooorrrr I can move externally and go up 100% to a higher level and people aren’t as put off by that one area of development because it’s more specific to that company. So I’m job searching now and have had bites but I just wish the mindset of internal promotions made a bit more sense.

Sounds like your husband would be best moving externally though for more than just pay reasons..best of luck to him! Hope he finds something quickly :) sounds like with his skills he’ll be fine

My, how time flies....

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
He has - although I have a good friend up in Scotland who does business analyst stuff who will only do contracting and hes having a bit of a tough time right now finding a new gig, so a little apprehensive. Also, with my work situation, having him in permanent role right now would be preferable, but in the future I can imagine there will be quite a bit of demand for his skills on a contract basis.

Also, partner hates looking for jobs, so if we can get him settled into something with growth prospects that may be preferable!

Red Flag!  If you are a contractor, you have to enjoy looking for jobs.  And be good at it since it's a major part of the job.

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
Here's a good example of how astoundingly crap companies can be
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/revolut-trade-unions-labour-fintech-politics-storonsky

I used to love my revolut card before I read this

Sponsored Links