Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: And while we were on vacation  (Read 5377 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: And while we were on vacation
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »
How big is it and where is it you live, sorry, I've forgotten!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
How big is it and where is it you live, sorry, I've forgotten!

OK, Jim, she gave you that one on a plate!!!  ;D

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 06:28:59 PM »
OK, Jim, she gave you that one on a plate!!!  ;D

Oh. Nooooo.  ::)

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
AhHEM....I have found an EU pet company that sells the tanks I'd like. Unfortunately, my German is horrific, but I tried - I wrote them an email and asked if they shipped to the UK.  https://www.zajac.de/Zac-Aquarium-60x30x40cm-6mm-72-l    The price is really good.

If they do, I can always nip down to the glass shop and get them to cut me a tank top for it.

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2019, 06:35:43 PM »
Oh. Nooooo.  ::)

I'm still laughing!  ;D

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 06:39:37 PM »
AhHEM....I have found an EU pet company that sells the tanks I'd like. Unfortunately, my German is horrific, but I tried - I wrote them an email and asked if they shipped to the UK.  https://www.zajac.de/Zac-Aquarium-60x30x40cm-6mm-72-l    The price is really good.

If they do, I can always nip down to the glass shop and get them to cut me a tank top for it.

According to google, this page  https://www.zajac.de/Versand. translates as follows.

Returns Information

Shipping costs apply for shipping within Germany. Outside Germany please ask for shipping costs. Our freight and packaging charges depend on the size of the ordered goods. We deliver the packages below to 25 kg weight (sea salt, gravel, etc. = 1 standard package).

STANDARD PACKAGE 5.00 €
Goods up to a length of 1.80 m. From 29,00 € value of goods per order, the shipping fee for a standard package (5.00 €) is omitted. Should higher shipping costs occur, the amount for a standard package (5.00 €) will be credited to you.

LARGER GOOD
We ship either by forwarding (see below) or by piece goods. Please inquire in each case the exact conditions at our order acceptance. Tel .: 0203 45045-0

FROST LINING
Can be ordered with us from 1 kg in any quantities. We charge you for a thermo-packaging (thick-walled Styrofoam box as well as Coolpacks) 5,00 € plus the normal package costs.

CARRIER
Large and bulky goods such as Aquariums (from 60 cm in length), base cabinets, seawater complete filters, refrigerators (must be sent standing) we ship by freight carrier. For these shipping costs, we will forward the price of the forwarding company to you. A Euro pallet on which the goods are delivered has an area of ​​120 x 80 cm. Everything that fits on this palette will be sent to you for € 54.95. Please note that e.g. a 1.20 m long aquarium complete with cabinet, cover, filters, gravel and accessories fits on a Euro pallet. For a mini palette 80 x 60 x 50 cm we charge 29.95 €. For larger shipments that require a "double pallet", the shipping cost is € 89.95.

Please note that the delivery company does not bring the pallet to the apartment and that the forwarding agent is liable for a damage-free delivery. It is essential to check the goods in the presence of the driver. Subsequent complaints can not be considered. Transport costs are only valid for the German mainland. German islands and foreign countries on request.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
I'm still laughing!  ;D

tsk, tsk, what a mind you have!  ::) ;) ;)

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »
According to google, this page  https://www.zajac.de/Versand. translates as follows.

Hmmmmmm. Well, it, or perhaps the slightly smaller tank would fit on the mini-pallet, then, and cost pretty much what one of the cheapest tanks locally would cost when the shipping was added in? (I really do wish my German was better, but at least I could find the tanks on their web page. The Daughter has bought me  "learn German" and a "learn French" books. I guess I'd better start!)  I'll wait to hear what the company quotes me.

A quandry...  I could get one of those really nice, well-made tanks without a lid, have the glass place up the road cut a sheet of glass for a lid, and it would cost about £120 total. I already have a spare heater and a spare filter that could manage a tank that size. I could get a bar of LED lighting from Amazon for another £ £20. So, with the workbench,  tank, cover, and lights, I'd be out about £150-175-ish. Which isn't bad, really, for a tank setup that size.

I'd need to get paint to waterproof the top of the workbench. And substrate for the tank at another £20 (at least). Then the bogwood (if I can find any) and plants. So I could get it totally set up and have the tank cycling for about £300. (I already have the starter squadron of fish.)

Hmmm. That actually seems ok. Since that includes all the taxes and everything.  :)

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 07:21:03 PM »
It's a shame that you are so far away, my daughter is losing interest in the aquarium and I would gladly give it away and get a breadmaker.  Fancy renting a car and coming down to the big smoke?

Oh. London. Bummer.

Actually, we were going to head down there in a month or so to see the museums and stuff. But getting a big tank back on a train would be problematic, I think. ::)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
Oh. London. Bummer.

Actually, we were going to head down there in a month or so to see the museums and stuff. But getting a big tank back on a train would be problematic, I think. ::)
You could look up "man with a van" quotes. They tend to be less than big shipping companies, and could work out cheaper than a new tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »
Kind of a long way from London to Glasgow for a "man with a van"?

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
Been looking on Gumtree. SOOOO many really huge aquariums for very little cost on there. I can't imagine why a beginner would want to have a four-footer! That's a lot of work to care for, and can get expensive!

When we finally do get a house, I might get one myself, but that's a long ways off and I'd have a serious frame built for it, and it'd be kind of immovable (as those big monsters are).  I have visions of people thinking it's soo cool to get a big tank with the cheesy tank stands, and then all the stuff in it, and then their fish die and they lose interest in it. And are then out hundreds of pounds and stuck with a tank in their living room.

There was one guy who had cold water fish in a tank with tropicals, and was selling the lot of it for cheap to someone who would look after it properly.  Eww. That goldfish needs to be in his own tank....  There were, as the Daughter expected, a lot more tanks available over in Edinburgh. A couple from a guy in Stirling(?) who said he'd deliver the tanks for the gas money to do it. (Hmmmm.)

I still prefer getting a new one that has a warranty, really. Ya just never know, with a used tank, if it's been torqued or mistreated in any way that would weaken the seams over time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab