Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Connecting at ORD (Chicago Ohare) - anything I need to know?  (Read 639 times)

• Liked: 239
Connecting at ORD (Chicago Ohare) - anything I need to know?
« on: February 26, 2019, 10:10:12 AM »
Anyone travelled to or connected through Chicago Ohare?

I always go through Charlotte but couldn’t book a return to the UK through there so we’re going through Chicago. It looks like our arriving and departing flights are both in terminal 3 so that should be easy enough.

Any tips or tricks to know about? Anywhere we need to eat while there (long layover) or avoid?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 676
Re: Connecting at ORD (Chicago Ohare) - anything I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32:03 AM »
It's been years since I've been through there, but I remember it as being huge. Here's their terminal info for auxiliary services -

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/eatshopmore/Pages/default.aspx

Whatever you do end up buying (as far as food goes) it'll be seriously overpriced.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Thanks! I would expect nothing less than overpriced food lol. Luckily my ticket is essentially free because I'm using airline miles so I may splurge.

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 12:18:50 PM »
Chicago is a big, busy airport, so I would be prepared for potential delays.

I have been delayed 3 times at Chicago in the past:
- first time (late 90s/early 00s), we boarded the plane on time and then sat on the runway for 3 hours waiting to take off because we missed our slot... it was a flight back to the UK so an extra 3 hours in the plane on top of the long-haul flight was a nightmare

- second time (2008), my domestic flight was cancelled due to thunderstorms and I had to get a hotel for the night (they only gave us vouchers to cover about half of the cost of the room)... it was the day before my birthday, which meant I turned 25 in Chicago airport!

- third time (2016), i was connecting in Chicago from the UK and while the connecting plane arrived on time, the crew didn’t... we were about to board and then we were told there was a delay, because there was no crew to fly the plane. We had to wait an extra 4 hours for the crew to arrive (they got delayed out of Cincinnati and there were no spare crews in Chicago).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »
Thanks ksand! Luckily we only have one flight after that one and if need be we can take a train from London home. We’ve been delayed a lot out of Charlotte and missed about half of our connecting flights. Hopefully not this trip.

FLR(M) Standard

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab