Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Private Health Insurance  (Read 6405 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Private Health Insurance
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
It should say in the advert. Anyway, you might have been here 5 years by the time the work is moved up!

It didn't!   :(  It said a security check was required, but when you dig in through the documentation to find out what that entails there is a lot of mumbling language that does not say clearly "5 years". 

Just as well, I probably shouldn't work for the Home Office, given it's reputation. The Scottish Government said I wouldn't have to have lived here for 5 years, but  there are very few lower-level jobs being posted from them. Apparently they are rolling out a new social security program and are looking for managers and team leaders, but I couldn't lead a team if we were roped together and I was the only one that didn't have a bag over my head!  I really need to find a non-public-contact position in some back office or isolated outpost or something.  ::) That didn't involve much phone work, since it's a crapshoot if I'd both hear the person on the other end and/or understand a word out of his/her mouth.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
That's true. I look for, "no cancellation fees", "no exit fees", no" tie-in" even with gas and electric companies.

Yeah, I never get into something without knowing the way out of it!  ;D

• Liked: 585
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 07:51:38 AM »
Seriously, someone in Scotland must actually have private health insurance?

They offer it at my work, but I've no need for it... the NHS works just fine for me.

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »
They offer it at my work, but I've no need for it... the NHS works just fine for me.

Lucky you!  ;)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
It didn't!   :(  It said a security check was required, but when you dig in through the documentation to find out what that entails there is a lot of mumbling language that does not say clearly "5 years". 

Just as well, I probably shouldn't work for the Home Office, given it's reputation. The Scottish Government said I wouldn't have to have lived here for 5 years, but  there are very few lower-level jobs being posted from them. Apparently they are rolling out a new social security program and are looking for managers and team leaders, but I couldn't lead a team if we were roped together and I was the only one that didn't have a bag over my head!  I really need to find a non-public-contact position in some back office or isolated outpost or something.  ::) That didn't involve much phone work, since it's a crapshoot if I'd both hear the person on the other end and/or understand a word out of his/her mouth.  :-\\\\
You may want to check the NHS postings. They're hiring a lot of admin/office staff where I live (but unfortunately all the offices are cleaned with scented products so out for me, I have to wear my mask to see the Dr). They don't have the residency requirements either as far as I can tell.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
but I couldn't lead a team if we were roped together and I was the only one that didn't have a bag over my head!

Hahah, you're funny!  ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
Hahah, you're funny!  ;D

I liked that as well.

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »
Hahah, you're funny!  ;D

Sadly, it's soooo true. I'm the proverbial lone gunman - the kind of employee they stick on the top of a mountain to watch for fires, or into a mess of an office to work by themselves for 12 hours a day until it's sorted into a logical and orderly, well-running desk. I do really well in those kind of situations.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 09:06:49 PM »
I completely understand that. Unfortunately, the new trend in my field is pair programming, which is a massive pita. I hate other people watching me type.

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
I completely understand that. Unfortunately, the new trend in my field is pair programming, which is a massive pita. I hate other people watching me type.

ick

• Liked: 342
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »

Until you need an urgent test so that you can start treatment, but have to wait weeks if you want the NHS to pay for it. Or the treatment you want/drug, is not financed by the NHS.

My parents paid for me whan I was a child, we paid for our children. There is no way we would let our chilldren wait, nor us wait.  Now our children are adults, they have private health insurance too, one through work and the other because they are self employed (a must for those who are SE as they can lose their business and income why they wait for treatment). And no, the UK does not have a benefit system that will give you money while you wait for your operation and can then start work and earn money again, that seems to be another myth: you need insuance cover.

None of the 4 NHS cover everything. Even in countries why they pay higher taxes and pay a monthly fee (health insurance) to that government, and medicals have to be passed to get a visa, they still don't cover everything.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:59:31 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
Nan, I’m not Scotland but I’ve always had private insurance.

Except for my Uber fancy expat package insurance, all my policies require the GP referral stuff first.  Unfortunately I’m not sure it’s something you’ll be able to get around easily.  And yes, GP’s are tough.  I called yesterday at bang on 8am, was #38 in the queue and couldn’t get an appointment for my 1 year old with pneumonia!  Grrrrr

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 12:14:51 PM »
Nan, I’m not Scotland but I’ve always had private insurance.

Except for my Uber fancy expat package insurance, all my policies require the GP referral stuff first.  Unfortunately I’m not sure it’s something you’ll be able to get around easily.  And yes, GP’s are tough.  I called yesterday at bang on 8am, was #38 in the queue and couldn’t get an appointment for my 1 year old with pneumonia!  Grrrrr

That's how mine works too, but don't forget the GPs (and NHS dentists) are self employed. The Trusts (hospitals) are the ones that have a budget from the government and they can do referrals too.
e.g. I took my son to a minor injuries hospital (now called urgent treatment centres)for a rugby injury. They saw him in a matter of minutes and gave him a referral. Then we used that for a private appoinment with a Consultant ( a couple of days later) and cancelled the NHS appointment that was for weeks later at a hospital  (most likely with a Registrar). The wait time in Minor Injury clinics is often shorter because many mistakenly go to A&E and  then wait hours because what they have is not a risk to life, or they are told to see their GP or go to a Minor Injury clinic

Your son is 1 year old now! Where did the time go? There are GPs at the Urgent Treatment centres.

Urgent treatment centres are a facility you can go to if you need urgent medical attention but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Urgent treatment centres are GP-led and open for at least 12 hours a day every day of the week (including bank holidays).

You may be referred to an urgent treatment centre by NHS 111 or by your GP. You can also just turn up and walk in.

Conditions that can be treated at an urgent treatment centre include:

sprains and strains
    suspected broken limbs
    minor head injuries
    cuts and grazes
    bites and stings
    minor scalds and burns
    ear and throat infections
    skin infections and rashes
    eye problems
    coughs and colds
    feverish illness in adults
    feverish illness in children
    abdominal pain
    vomiting and diarrhoea
    emergency contraception

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/when-to-visit-an-urgent-care-centre/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:03:47 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 12:34:14 PM »
This is how the NHS works-

"Choosing which service is right for you at a given time may not always be easy – often you have more than one option.

If you're not sure where to start, use the checklist below to guide you.

Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. You can also call NHS 111 if you're not sure which NHS service you need.
    Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
    Visit a walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent care centre if you have a minor illness or injury (cuts, sprains or rashes) and it cannot wait until your GP surgery is open.
    Ask your local pharmacist for advice – your pharmacist can give you advice about many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headaches, sore throats, or travel health.
    Make an appointment with your GP if you're feeling unwell and it's not an emergency."
[/b]
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/how-to-access-nhs-services-in-england/

The NHS does not pay for everything.

EHIC
The EHIC you can use in another EEA country when visiting, is NOT health insurance and you could end up with medical bills if you don't have private insurance. Some health insurers might require you to use the EHIC and they pay the rest: read the small print.

Reciprocal health agreements the UK has with other countries when visiting.

These are very basic: take out private insurance.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:06:27 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
And the EHIC becomes void at Brexit, correct?

Seriously, someone must have private insurance in Scotland who can give me their opinion of their company? We are only with Vitality because they were one of the ones who would consider the Daughter when we very first moved in-country. We've never actually used them for anything - other than fulfilling the CSI requirements of her EU-dependent status. They've done a few things in the last two years that seem a little...dodgy... so we are looking to see if another company would be better for us.

We can get in to see our GP within 48 hours, and they make house-calls. The last time the Daughter used them, she phoned in the morning and was seen that afternoon. We are not at all unhappy with the NHS GP.  8)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab