Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Naturalisation! YAY! :D  (Read 2178 times)

• Liked: 1260
Applying for Naturalisation! YAY! :D
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
Can't believe this time is FINALLY hear! My goal now is to have dual citizenship/passports before I turn 30 at the end of this year (the time crunch is on! heh). I have a few questions that I couldn't quite get clarification on from the guide provided on the gov website that i'm wondering if anybody might be able to help advise on....

• RE the referees, for the professional referee, would my SIL count as a relative? She is not my husband's sister. She is married to my husband's (half) brother. Not sure what they would categorise as "family" because when I've called her my SIL before, I've had people tell me that she's not really my SIL, she's just married to my BIL...lol That aside, I'm just trying to understand if they'll consider her as an acceptable referee as she's a qualified accountant and probably the only "professional" I know (at least that I'd feel comfortable asking). Any thoughts?
  • Assuming I can use her, if it asks for my relationship to this person, can I say "married to my BIL" or is there a better/smarter way I should be wording it?
  • Out of sheer curiosity (not really make or break on my application), do they actually contact these people? is there anything I can tell my referees for what to expect with what they've agreed to?
  • Think I already know the answer but just want to double check - my first referee who's my friend was married last year, but her passport is in her maiden name...Assuming I need to list her as whatever name is on her passport, correct?
  • How quickly did others receive their passports after their ceremony? Just asking as I have my trip to Japan at the end of November and just want to understand if I apply this week, how risky it'll be to be in a position to fly to Japan by November 20th (as I know I have to give my BRP card to them when I have a ceremony)

Thanks in advance! Fingers crossed this goes quicker and smoother than my ILR. Will end up paying for a bigger ceremony in the end because my parents said they want to be here and will take both of my sisters to come and attend to as well as my in-laws (shouldn't be thinking so far ahead! lol) and the quicker it happens, the more likely I am to get it slotted in to when either my parents or my sister and her family are here visiting so it's just less flights to buy.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
Re: Applying for Naturalisation! YAY! :D
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:05:44 AM »
I would consider your SIL family so personally I'd look elsewhere.

The list is not exhaustive. Our professional referee's occupation was not on the list by name but they qualified because they're a member of a professional body, so if you think outside the box a bit you should find someone.

Doctors are not on the list but if the one we did use had not wanted to do it, one of his doctors was going to be the next person I asked.  :)

Tell them that it's unlikely that they will be contacted but it could happen.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
I would consider your SIL family so personally I'd look elsewhere.

The list is not exhaustive. Our professional referee's occupation was not on the list by name but they qualified because they're a member of a professional body, so if you think outside the box a bit you should find someone.

Doctors are not on the list but if the one we did use had not wanted to do it, one of his doctors was going to be the next person I asked.  :)

Tell them that it's unlikely that they will be contacted but it could happen.

Yeah I just unfortunately don't really have anybody else that I could consider a professional to ask. I'm still registered at the Doctor's surgery from when I lived in Reading over 3 years ago and I barely ever went in to see the GP so I don't even really have a doctor to ask. Anybody else that might qualify won't really be somebody that I think would be comfortable being one because they won't really know me so not really sure what to do in this instance.  :-X

Thanks for advising RE if they're contacted. I honestly wasn't sure if that'd be the case but wasn't sure what to tell people in regards to that.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
The professional referee does not have to be British, so maybe there someone in the US you could use?

The referee requirements are:
- one British citizen who is either over 25 or a professional person
And
- one professional person of any nationality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:36:37 AM »
The professional referee does not have to be British, so maybe there someone in the US you could use?

The referee requirements are:
- one British citizen who is either over 25 or a professional person
And
- one professional person of any nationality

I'd even struggle I think with US contacts I think from a "professional" standpoint because the people I stay in touch with and have known for 3+ years are either related to me or not professionals. At an awkward age I think where the people I know in the US either aren't at a point where they are professionals yet or they aren't going into careers where they would be considered professionals. Could have a chat with my mom though and see what she says. I didn't think that THIS would end up being the hill I'd die on...eeek.
My, how time flies....

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »
Can't believe this time is FINALLY hear! My goal now is to have dual citizenship/passports before I turn 30 at the end of this year (the time crunch is on! heh)
Yay . How exciting. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
Yay . How exciting. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Thanks! :) just gotta nail down this professional bit!

My, how time flies....

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:58:14 AM »
Sorry, quick Follow up question - is there a website where I can see who qualifies as a professional? Would somebody like a “chartered engineer” work?

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 35
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
Out of curiosity can I ask for an explanation about what a "referee" is or does, please?  Why do we need one? Thanks.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »
Out of curiosity can I ask for an explanation about what a "referee" is or does, please?  Why do we need one? Thanks.

Pulled directly from the application:

Referees must:
not be a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
not be related to the other referee
not be employed by the Home Office
know or have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be registered
Referees must also not have been convicted of an imprisonable offence. A single non-custodial sentence may be disregarded if:
it did not occur within the last 12 months
there is strong evidence showing that the referee is of good character
Give your first referee's details. This referee must be the holder of a British Citizen passport (and either a professional person or over the age of 25)

The first referee can kind of be anybody (that's what the above is) that's known you for 3+ years, holds a British passport, and is 25+. The second referee needs to be a "professional" that you need to have known 3+ years but I don't believe needs to have held British passport (and I actually don't think they need to be 25+ either if they are a professional given the description above for the first referee where it's either/or).

Seems they just need to be able to vouch that you are who you say you are as they know you personally and have done for a number of years and can advise why you should/shouldn't be granted citizenship based off their knowledge of you and your character if asked (but it doesn't look like they necessarily do reach out and ask).

Our friend we believe is a chartered engineer (he's definitely an engineer and he just finished the rest of his degree this past year so think he is now officially chartered, we just need to check), so will probably ask him now instead.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
I would avoid using the SIL because on her form, she will indicate how she knows you.  If she puts SIL, she won't count. And if HO find that connection through marriage, it might be a bit suspect (especially if she has the same surname as you!).

As far as I know, they did not contact my referees.  But I'm pretty sure they checked to be sure they were of good character and that at least one of them had a valid British passport.

Yes, use the name on her passport.  You'll have to give the passport number and her name, and they'll look it up... you want them to find match.  ;)

My ceremony was 14 December, and I did JCAP (is that still offered?)... my passport arrived on 24 December.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 03:46:26 PM »
I would avoid using the SIL because on her form, she will indicate how she knows you.  If she puts SIL, she won't count. And if HO find that connection through marriage, it might be a bit suspect (especially if she has the same surname as you!).

As far as I know, they did not contact my referees.  But I'm pretty sure they checked to be sure they were of good character and that at least one of them had a valid British passport.

Yes, use the name on her passport.  You'll have to give the passport number and her name, and they'll look it up... you want them to find match.  ;)

My ceremony was 14 December, and I did JCAP (is that still offered?)... my passport arrived on 24 December.

Her surname is different (my BIL has a different dad to my husband), but it's okay as I think we'll just use our friend if he is indeed a chartered engineer.

Cool will update her name. I thought that was the case but wanted to double check before going back through the form

Brill - was just checking on the timelines as my friend got hers quickly but wasn't sure if it was because she was from somewhere else outside of the US so timelines might've been different (though i can't imagine why that would be the case)

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 239
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
I have no idea but just YAY! Exciting times!!!!
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
I have no idea but just YAY! Exciting times!!!!

haha cheers :D it's appreciated all the same
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 35
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 06:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  So basically a referee is like the people who wrote a character letter for me back when I applied for the initial spouse visa.  A bit different but in an apple vs orange kind of way.  In my mind I know what I mean. lol

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab