Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Applying for Naturalisation! YAY! :D  (Read 2197 times)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Applying for Naturalisation! YAY! :D
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
haha I actually found it wasn't toooo bad honestly (mainly because I've only been driving in the UK for 2 years I think it is and definitely have no tickets I'm aware of - which helped!). I thought it was quite straight forward but maybe it's because I had JUST done my ILR on this same "new process" digital format. Had filled the application out back when I initially posted in Feb so this time I just went in to update some details as my friend got a new passport number and had found they added a few questions about the English Language requirement as well as if I'm here via an EEA citizen (which I am not) so I thought I best submit before any more questions are added LOL (guessing this is to do in prep with Brexit).

Ours were old US parking tickets going back years!  I don't want to frighten anyone because I know I'm in the minority, Most people find the citizenship application a piece of cake after all the visas it took to get to that stage.. I'm just odd!  ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
Ours were old US parking tickets going back years!  I don't want to frighten anyone because I know I'm in the minority, Most people find the citizenship application a piece of cake after all the visas it took to get to that stage.. I'm just odd!  ;D

I think I managed to avoid and tickets in the US as well thankfully! hahaha I think I'm less nervous about this one because I still have my ILR regardless so if it's rejected, it's rejected and I'll just try again! I was more stressed with ILR because I was afraid that I'd have to start all over again if it was rejected. I felt more hinged on that but I can totally appreciate why this would be equally (if not more) stressful because you're in the home stetch by this point and it IS different than the other visa apps.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 56
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
I see "teacher" on the list. Do you know any teachers? I didn't realize they were on the list, but that's a load off my mind as I've met several teachers here.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 09:48:36 AM »
I see "teacher" on the list. Do you know any teachers? I didn't realize they were on the list, but that's a load off my mind as I've met several teachers here.

I ended up having a friend’s sister who’s an accountant do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
Hoping somebody reads this before tomorrow. Just wanted to confirm quickly that I've uploaded the documents correctly and not missed something out (feeling a bit paranoid so wanting to quadrouple check) as my brain has been all over the place the last few weeks. Currently have uploaded:

- My current passport (in the proof of application section)
- LitUK Pass Certificate (in the "Other" section)
- Referee Declaration 1 (in the "Other" section) - Ive scanned both the photo front/back on its own and the document with the photo attached just to be safe
- Referee Declaration 2 (in the "other" section) - scanned the same as above
- My current ILR BRP card (in the "Residence in the UK" section)
- My marriage certificate (in the "Life Event" section)
- My husband's current passport (in the "Sponsor/employment" section - I just assumed because he's technically my sponsor) - should I move this to another section?
- My expired passport that has my original stamp from my first entry in 2013 (in the "Proof of Identity/Travel History" section)

Anything that I've somehow missed or misfiled that I can change now before going to my appointment tomorrow??
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
Nothing missed that I can think of!

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
Nothing missed that I can think of!

Thanks KF! It's been the longest short week of my life and my brain is just fried LOL Thought it better to check now than to wait until tomorrow when I'm there thinking "oh shiiiiiiit!" hahah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Sidenote: just had *bleep*ing heart failure as I couldn’t find my physical copy of the pass certificate! Was just hidden behind another document. All I could think was “they didn’t ask to see it last time so I might be okay!.... I can’t take this test AGAIN!” Haha

All pulled aside and ready to go for tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »
Sorry to not update sooner, have just had a lot going on.

Just wanted to update to say that I went to Croydon and - even though it wasn't located as nicely as Birmingham - it was a really quick and easy experience. The staff were VERY helpful. In Birmingham, you got a brief rundown of how to use the biometrics machine but it wasn't particularly useful. In Croydon, the guy even gave us helpful tips about how far away to stand so I didn't have to continually shuffle around and take 10 mins to try to get ONE photo like I did in Birmingham. There were also more machines so it was definitely quicker in that regard. They allowed me in early in Croydon (I was about 20-30ish minutes early) while in Birmingham they were verrryyy strict about time. I think this is likely due to the fact that the location in Croydon is MUCH bigger (it's multiple floors) than Birmingham (which is literally one tiny office space). Staff were nice in both locations, but I felt like the Croydon staff were more outwardly positive and friendly so just made it an overall more pleasant experience.

They wouldn't let those NOT applying for visas in "due to health and safety reasons" but they did let my husband use the toilet quickly and I definitely saw one person without a child who wasn't applying sitting their with their partner so no idea if there was a special circumstance or something but it took me, in total, maybe 30-40 minutes all in? In Birmingham it took me an hour but that's not including the time I arrived early and waited.

I also managed to nail a kid with a slow moving glass exit barrier..... Don't ask:D

All went fine and clock, I suppose, officially started yesterday as that will be when they would have formally received my biometrics. 1 day down. remainder of the 6 months still to go lol (hoping it comes in after 2 the way it seems to have for others I know who applied recently).
My, how time flies....

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Updating this thread for reference so others applying around the same time will know what to expect with timescales (but I'm pretty sure you all know the good news by now as I've been shouting it from the rooftops haha) - sorry for not updating sooner, I was a bit preoccupied.

So, to recap, my appointment for biometrics for naturalisation was the 11th of May (after submitting the application itself initially on the 2nd of May). I had to pay for an "out of hours" appointment (fee was £100 I believe - for reference) and it was one of the soonest appointments I could get (just to set expectations of how soon you can get in - the caveat being that if I was paying for out of hours, I wanted a weekend where I wouldn't take work off as opposed to paying £100 for an early or late weekday appointment so the wait time might vary).

I received no communications at all through the process (I expected this based on others I've spoken to who've gone through this process). They didn't have any additional questions/comments/concerns for me and I don't even believe they contacted either of my referees as neither of them came back to tell me they had any questions asked by HO (and I know for sure that one of the two definitely would let me know). When my letter of approval arrived, I was actually taken my surprise as I was expecting to have to sign for the letter but it just came through the post as usual (I actually thought something was wrong when I saw a return address for HO without having to sign for it).

I have to say, the timing of my approval will DEFINITELY be memorable for me...I got my approval letter on July 4th LOL. The irony was definitely not lost on me/my husband (it was actually perfect). I received it while my parents were still here, which was a really lovely surprise. The next step was to phone the local council provided on the letter and book in the ceremony but I was unable to do this until this morning because I had activities I was doing with  my parents from Thursday (when i received the letter) until yesterday.

To know what to expect - and this may vary by council : I phoned the number given which redirected me to another number for their "customer service" line. I phoned that number and they took my details and wrote a letter to the registrars office who they said would phone me back. I could have also emailed but as I was already on the phone and my brain wasn't working quick enough to write down the email address, I just assumed do it over the phone. within an hour or two later, I received a call back from the registrars office who informed me he had my certificate so i could book in but they only do 1 group ceremony a month. Next available date is 28th of August at 12:30 so I've booked that in. As it's the group ceremony, I will be allowed only 2 guests.

I was going to pay for a private ceremony so my family could attend (my parents said they'd fly over and I had some friends who wanted to come), but I just can't justify it for numerous reasons. Thought I'd give you the info I had/asked for in case it'll help you but so know that it might vary by council. Info I have is:

• Charge for private ceremony is £175 - unsure if that's an increase in price or if it's down to the individual council so prices may vary.
  • You cannot book a private ceremony on a weekend (it's weekdays only as this is when the registrars office is open). For me, £175 was a lot to spend on another weekday appointment where friends/family would have to take time off work.
  • Apparently (and, again, this may vary by council), there is less "pomp and circumstance" at a private ceremony so they actually recommend the regular ceremony as it's a "bigger deal" and "people like the  mayor" are there for group ceremonies but not for the private ones and you can meet the mayor if you want to go early.
  • You can take photos throughout (they can't really stop you) but video-ing would present more of a challenge because of GDPR (they would need to "take guidance" on this).
  • You can, however, skype people in during the ceremony. obviously there's nothing they can do if you lose connection during the ceremony as they don't stop the ceremony for any reason so it's up to you if you want to try to skype in family or not.
  • You can choose if you'd like to do the pledge or the oath - one mentions God an the other is non-religious. Weird as I think they are all done at the same time, so I'm not sure how they are going to get people reciting two different things, but it will be interesting and it's nice that they've adjusted to make everybody feel comfortable.

Hope this has helped anybody else who's at the beginning of their citizenship process. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that this is all done and dusted with my UK passport through before I go to Japan at the end of November as I'm nervous about travelling without proof of residence....
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 104
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »
I have to say, the timing of my approval will DEFINITELY be memorable for me...I got my approval letter on July 4th

I noticed your updated signature but just wanted to say congrats!! I'm sure you must be so relieved. ;D Very happy for you!
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
I noticed your updated signature but just wanted to say congrats!! I'm sure you must be so relieved. ;D Very happy for you!
Haha thank you! Thought it was about time to put a timeline on my signature lol

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab