Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: About to move...  (Read 1431 times)

• Liked: 2
About to move...
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
Hi Everyone,

We are about 3 weeks away from moving to the U.K.  I am going there with a 3 year work visa, with my British child.  We didn’t have all the requirements for a spouse visa, luckily my work was able to sponsor me.

My question is what are the things I definitely should do before we leave the US?

What are the things I should definitely bring ?

My daughter will transfer school there, are there any paperwork I should bring ?

How about banking ?  Should I keep my credit cards?

How about car insurance ?  Do I need to get a license straight away?  I do a driving license here. 

Anything you could recommend would definitely be appreciated.

X
Met UK Hubby : August 2011
Married : July 2017

• Liked: 672
Re: About to move...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »
DEFINITELY keep your credit cards. If you have a family member whose address you can use, you can switch the cards over to that "home" address. Some will allow you to have a different mailing address. You may, at some point, want paper copies of your credit card statements....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

We are about 3 weeks away from moving to the U.K.  I am going there with a 3 year work visa, with my British child.  We didn’t have all the requirements for a spouse visa, luckily my work was able to sponsor me.

My question is what are the things I definitely should do before we leave the US?

What are the things I should definitely bring ?

My daughter will transfer school there, are there any paperwork I should bring ?

How about banking ?  Should I keep my credit cards?

How about car insurance ?  Do I need to get a license straight away?  I do a driving license here. 

Anything you could recommend would definitely be appreciated.

X

Before leaving the US, photograph everything you think you'll miss.  Eat your favourite foods.  If you have a favourite recipe that calls for specific seasoning or mix packets, buy those and pack them to bring along.  When you arrive here, you will have to re-learn how to shop and cook.  Even measurements are different (an ounce isn't an ounce over here, so don't think that a UK pint (20 Imperial ounces) is just 25% bigger than a US pint (16 US fluid ounces), job done... they're not quite the same).  Maybe bring a set of measuring spoons and cups with you, so you know for sure that they are what you're used to using.

I can't answer the school thing.

Keep your credit cards, and keep at least one regular bank account in the US.  One with no fees, of course.  You can use Transferwise to move money between your future UK account and your US account.  You never know when you're going to need to have those US funds available.  It'll especially be helpful on holidays home.

You can drive in the UK on your US license for up to one year.  At the end of that year, if you have not obtained a full UK driving license, you must stop driving on your own.  The process of getting a full UK driving license is slow and can be a bit of a challenge.  You'll need to establish residence and get some post in your name to prove you live here.  Then you'll apply for a provisional driving license.  Then you'll study for and take the Theory test.  Then you'll take some lessons with a certified driving instructor, and then you'll book your practical test.  The process can take a few months, start to finish, so don't leave it to the end of your first year if you want to be able to continue driving in the UK.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
Would request dental and medical (and school for your child) records if possible before you go for everybody. It can be really helpful just to have (as the more time passes, the harder it'll be to get ahold of - especially from abroad).

Would advise you to keep a bank account open there with minimal amounts open, just in case. You never know!

Start stockpiling all the foods that are transportable and US-specific that you love (it's nice to have creature comforts) and take them with you for if/when you're feeling you're missing the US.

You can't get flat sheets as easily in the UK (especially ones that feel nice) so if you want those, grab a few before you come over. Also, jeans! Such a ballache finding comfortable jeans here so stock up on what jeans are most comfortable for you before moving over here.

Outside of that...just eat all the food you love and try all the restaurants you haven't yet that you want to while you still can. If there are museums or experiences you've been putting off, fit them in (For example, I'm quite close to London but almost take for granted how easily I could go to certain museums - for starters - and always think there will be another day).

All I got for the moment (on a con-call so my brain isn't fully here heh)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:07:19 AM »
Thank you all.

We are less than 2 weeks away and it has not hit me yet.  I will miss my mom more than anything.  We fight like sisters but she means the world to me.  I think I will find it hard without her. 

Regarding the foods,  I am definitely will get my Mexican Food fix before I leave.

I am getting all of my daughters medical and school records before I go.  It will make things easier I hope

Met UK Hubby : August 2011
Married : July 2017

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
Thank you all.

We are less than 2 weeks away and it has not hit me yet.  I will miss my mom more than anything.  We fight like sisters but she means the world to me.  I think I will find it hard without her. 

Regarding the foods,  I am definitely will get my Mexican Food fix before I leave.

I am getting all of my daughters medical and school records before I go.  It will make things easier I hope

RE your relationship with your mom, do you live with her at he moment?

Asking as my mom and I would argue when I lived there (but my whole family is close so it wasn’t a bad or distant relationship) before moving over here and I’ve actually found that since moving out of her house and over here we actually have a better relationship where we can be more friends than parent/daughter. Though, I was also early 20’s before moving over and there’s no doubt age make a difference as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links