Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yea! The Berkeley Tie-Dye tomatos are going to make it!  (Read 603 times)

• Liked: 674
Yea! The Berkeley Tie-Dye tomatos are going to make it!
« on: March 10, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
Planted six seeds, one took off right away, one was peaky for a while, two hatched and then fungused, and two never germinated.

They are old seeds, so I'm happy any have grown at all. Have just sanitized the rock-wool and planted two more, with hopes.

It's about time to put the big guy into his own pot. So I guess sometime this week I'm off to the Home Depot equivalent on the bus to get the pots for them. The little one was really peaky, and I thought we were going to lose it, but it turned out he had whiteflies. Used the organic oil spray on him, they are gone, and he's taken off now. So in a couple of weeks he can have his own pot, too. Then onto a sunny windowsill.   ;D

I sure hope they make it to fruiting - I've always wanted to try one of this variety.

• Liked: 957
Re: Yea! The Berkeley Tie-Dye tomatos are going to make it!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »
Which spray are you using? I've been having a battle on all my indoor plants downstairs :(

I planted some seeds a few weeks ago, 2 of the gherkins are looking good, lots of kale, 2 of the razzmatazz peppers, and my pea shoots are very happy. A few more are popping up so I hope they keep growing. Need to look for some environets for when they go outside to protect em from the snails.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
I had been using some of the commercial sprays, but they were not all that effective. Plus, I had to wonder what I was putting on the plants we were going to be eating.  I got this stuff - pricey, but it makes quite a lot of it. Advanced Nutrition Smc Spidermite Control. 

b]https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G3CJ7CG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/b]

So far I'm quite happy with it. It's basically a light oil, and doesn't have much of a smell although there is definitely a scent when it's first applied so you might need to be careful about it. I don't have the most accute sense of smell, and I no longer smell it in the rooms in which I have the plants, but since you are scent intolerant maybe it would need to dry on the plant before you have it around where you are going to be?

I had spider mites on my pepper plants, and this has knocked them down almost instantaneously. It has also worked on the aphids and the whitefly in the kitchen.  I suspect multiple treatments will be in order, but that's ok.  It is non-toxic to the environment. (Supposedly. I can't find out what kind of oil it is.)  You put like a tablespoon of the oil to a litre of water, shake well, and then spray it on the plants, being sure to coat them completely. The oil suffocates the mites (etc.).

Ah, did you use the Kale from the pass-the-parcel? I was hoping someone would. The Daughter is not wild about Kale so I sent it along.  How are the razz-ma-taz? I don't know that one.  I really, really wish I had a yard to put a proper garden in. I miss that a lot!  :-\\\\

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:20:12 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »
Yeah, it's the pass the parcel kale :) the radishes will go directly outside. My husband agreed to veggie bags to go over our rocky area out front (trying to find easily moved containers that won't cause damage, and take advantage of the sun). I got the pepper seeds from the South Devon Chilli farm, it looked pretty from the picture (all shades when fruiting) and my husband will eat them.

I tend to only react to chemical smells and a handful of essential oils, so hopefully the oil will be ok. Soapy water didn't work. I put the handful of plants I had outside and wiped every surface with vinegar and I'm hoping that's enough to stop it for now and keep the seedlings upstairs safe. But having something that definitely works on hand would be good :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
Ooooooohhhhh I hope they survive Nan. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 09:40:25 AM »
So far I've got one that's six inches tall, a second coming along at 3, and two that I planted as insurance about 10 days ago are putting out their first true leaves.  They're going to have to be bonsai tomato plants, as they'll be on windowsills in containers, but you can get them to fruit that way, too - just not as much.

I ~really~ wish I had a yard where I could put some cold frames and a greenhouse in! Ah, well, someday.  ;)

Sponsored Links